Seeking Masters Advice

sing something

I haven't received the response I was hoping for from my doctoral applications. I'm considering applying to Masters programs with later deadlines (Feb. 15 at the earliest), but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know of any mostly funded  masters programs in psychology?

How important is precise research fit in masters programs? I know a lot of masters programs are accepting of students who don't have defined research interests. I wouldn't categorize myself as such, but I am having troubles finding masters programs that are a good research fit and am open to pursuing other lines of research in similar fields to strenghten my research skills and to solidify my interests. I don't know if this is a) a good idea or B) how to sell this in a statement of purpose. I would be doing myself a disservice to pretend like I do not have any developed research interests (even if the program was OK with this), but I'm afraid I would not get into a program that does not have POIs in my field if I mention my research interests.

Does anyone have any insight?

There's a bunch of threads from the past few months with lists of master's programs- funded and unfunded.

As far as research fit, it really depends on the structure of the program- it goes from one extreme to the other. Some are mentor-based, some are general. Look up the programs from the past threads and get a sense of each one.

One of my back up plans is to apply to programs that focus on research methods in psychology. I've heard that going for a terminal masters in psychology is generally a waste of time for people who have majored in psychology, as it is really just a crash course in psychology. Maybe this isn't the case for all, but the one's with an emphasis on research methods vary from "taught courses" (thus there isn't much of a need for research fit) to "research based" programs (which will often require a research proposal with the application). Also, I've mostly looked into programs in the UK, as there seems to be more options for these types of programs (although in the US, I was told to check out Columbia's program at the Teacher's College). 

I am finishing up my MS in a fully funded program. The concentration I'm in (Experimental) is very statistics intensive. I got my BA from a very small school, and had no publications, so I needed the time at my current program to build up my CV. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time - I learned a great deal, and think I'm more competitive this time around w/r/t PhD apps. My mentor and I have very different research focuses; his is Developmental, and mine is Personality. It's worked out fine. PM me if you'd like more info.

I am finishing up my MS in a fully funded program. The concentration I'm in (Experimental) is very statistics intensive. I got my BA from a very small school, and had no publications, so I needed the time at my current program to build up my CV. I wouldn't say it's a waste of time - I learned a great deal, and think I'm more competitive this time around w/r/t PhD apps. My mentor and I have very different research focuses; his is Developmental, and mine is Personality. It's worked out fine. PM me if you'd like more info.

This is the exact type of program I was referring to as NOT being a waste of time. Rather, I was just saying to look out for those programs that focus only on teaching the basics of psychology (i.e., "taught courses" - which I have been told are typically for people who switch to psychology from a different field). 

Wake, William and Mary, Vandy.

Wake and William and Mary fight over the title of best MA program in the country. If you go to one of them and don't seriously fuck up, you will likely get an offer to a top phd program. I know that most of the people who have come out of one of those programs in the last couple of years have almost all gotten into their top choice (or one of their top choice) programs. It isn't a waste of time.

I'm in an unfunded master's program now and it was a great decision for me. I even turned down funding from another school to go to where I am. I had a great research fit and I loved the curriculum and the students. It is an investment, but I've been trying to keep costs down and also got a small scholarship. I'm going through PhD applications now and I feel like I am in a great position. This is your career, so I would at least be open to considering many different programs, funded or not.