MSW programs in the Bay Area

Twoone

It's possible that I applied when it was very competitive but I highly doubt it. I read a few post of people who were admitted that did not have that great of experience. I believe my application was overlooked or possibly misplaced and it was too late to be admitted. Seeing as I was admitted very early this year that could have been the case. The only thing different between my last application to the current one I submitted in October was that I had another year of social work experience. Everything else was the same. Keep your head up! I'm sure many people who applied to sjsu only applied as a back up. I was given til the end of march to accept or reject in which I rejected and I'm sure there will be many more people like me once they hear from other schools. If sjsu is your #1 choice, I would call the dept to confirm that they are still sending out admissions til end of April. That way you'll have a estimate somewhat of how many people rejected their admission. Last year it ended in early April.

I feel the same way about my application... I have a feeling they didn't even really look at it... but you're right, SJSU is one of my "back ups".

Hopefully some of us will hear ASAP once other applicants reject their offers. It would be nice to know if people are waitlisted at least.

I called the dept and the lady I talked to (not Molly) told me if I called back when Molly gets back from lunch around 1:10pm pst, she will be able to tell you if you were accepted or not. She did say there are some but not much applications still left to review.

I called the dept and the lady I talked to (not Molly) told me if I called back when Molly gets back from lunch around 1:10pm pst, she will be able to tell you if you were accepted or not. She did say there are some but not much applications still left to review.

Oh snap, I just e-mailed Molly before I read this. She said they're still reviewing and I'll know by mid-April. Hope she lets you know over the phone!

I had actually emailed Molly yesterday as well just to ask if she knew if my app had been reviewed and as of her reply yesterday she said it had been assigned, but hadn't been told that it had been reviewed yet.  She then told me to call her in about 1 week if I hadn't heard anything yet.

I'm wondering now if they really do just look over apps...

I had actually emailed Molly yesterday as well just to ask if she knew if my app had been reviewed and as of her reply yesterday she said it had been assigned, but hadn't been told that it had been reviewed yet.  She then told me to call her in about 1 week if I hadn't heard anything yet.

I'm wondering now if they really do just look over apps...

I have a feeling they might be holding off until people reject their offers so it opens up space, if not... then I guess its pointless for them to even look them over if the spots are already all filled... :(

I must agree! I highly doubt they REVIEW ALL the apps before making decisions. I think it really is just first come first serve, and ofcourse taking into consideration the most qualified candidates.

did you ever hear from Molly?

Hey guys, called Molly today.. Looks like I did NOT get admitted to sjsu... but I also did not get rejected either lol so from what she said there is a total of 170 applicants they are admitting and so far "30" has been admitted but that number seems too low so I'm sure it's well over 50. My application is currently with a faculty at the moment who decides if they recommend me going and that is when Barry Goldman will then make the final decision and call and email you the admission letter.

Hey guys, called Molly today.. Looks like I did NOT get admitted to sjsu... but I also did not get rejected either lol so from what she said there is a total of 170 applicants they are admitting and so far "30" has been admitted but that number seems too low so I'm sure it's well over 50. My application is currently with a faculty at the moment who decides if they recommend me going and that is when Barry Goldman will then make the final decision and call and email you the admission letter.

Hey Twoone, sorry to hear that. I'm one of the people who still has to give them my decision. I was told that once I tell them if I plan to attend, THEN they will process my "official admission" through the university. So even though the dept admitted me...they basically aren't gonna have SJSU do the official admission until they KNOW I'm attending. Maybe 30 people agreed to attend, but they technically offered admission to more (like me). That would explain the vagueness...

Anyway, I will be turning them down so there's at least one more spot opening!

Haha so was I but I had to call. She only told me my application was under a faculty but since they didn't make the decision yet, I don't think my chances are great at the moment. It was under review awhile ago and now it's just sitting at his/ her desk collecting dust. Forgot to mention this but there was a total of 400+ applicants and 170 will be admitted so just roughly under half of those applied will get in.

i want to call molly but im terrified what if i got rejected :/

Usually acceptance email and calls are done on Fridays and seeing as there is only one more Friday left this month... It's hard to think positive. After this, from what we all read, those who rejected their admission would open seats up to those next on the list. And then I guess that occurs early April so I really don't know.

Hi everyone! Quick question, for those who think they didn't get accepted and have not received a formal rejection letter, why do you think you aren't getting in?

I like the city because its very diverse and the people are actually friendly for the most part. I also have friends who live in that city and know quite a few people who are attending sjsu for their masters and they enjoy it (not for SW though). As for gpa, I think it does matter but not much. I attended that info meeting Barry Goldman had and he said they mainly look at experience, personal statement, essay sample and not much into gpa. Since I was a fool to only apply to one... I just really hope I get in. I emailed Barry after the info meeting about my experience not being all that great but that I did have atleast 2k hrs in the mental health field but not really SW related type job and he said he "really recommended me to apply"... Well I didn't hear anything back after that sooo .... So much for giving me false hope lol.

Why do you want to attend there?

Why did we all make sanjose our first choice? Do they guarantee that we will get jobs afterward or what? Thats what i am going to remind myself when i dont hear back

Location, and friends. lol I am starting to wonder if those are good enough reasons to want to attend the college though. I guess I just hope that they also offer a really good program. I mean if they don't then we will regret all this stress that we've been putting ourselves through.... i too only applied to the one program ...hmm this is the one time when i wish GPA did matter lol then id atleast get looked at lol

Lol yeah well my gpa ain't all that so I'm a bit happy about that. And yes they are good enough reasons... to me haha maybe not to others. SJSU is #66 in the nation for the best msw grad school so it being location and having friends there just makes it all the better choice.

Location, and friends. lol I am starting to wonder if those are good enough reasons to want to attend the college though. I guess I just hope that they also offer a really good program. I mean if they don't then we will regret all this stress that we've been putting ourselves through.... i too only applied to the one program ...hmm this is the one time when i wish GPA did matter lol then id atleast get looked at lol

Still no call for me :/ Not looking too good. and @floresea my decision was based on location, having a good MSW program, family being there, and the fact that it has the stipend program because I just would not want to add on more debt for myself but the possibility of a stipend would make the education even possible.  Not ever school has a stipend program for their MSWs

Has anyone on here heard back from any school that they have applied to? Aside from sjsu i mean...

Sorta.  The swedish programs I applied to have rankings and it would seems that my top program has rated me for "Direct Admission" but the official results don't come out until this Wednesday, the 27th.  I didn't apply to any other U.S. programs except SJSU though.

oh  okay so im assuming SJSU is your first choice. But CONGRATS!!! you got in

absolutely if I can get the stipend.  It's the only way I could pay for school the first year (out-of-state) without incurring more debt :/