American University (SIS)

I had had an issue with two of my LORs (Damn snail mail system. Why don't they do it online like everyone else?). I got in contact with a very helpful admissions counselor at the school, we worked out my problem, and she said that they are still looking at apps through mid-March so it seems that decisions will just trickle out in waves.

What are people's thoughts on the SIS program? I got into the International Communications one and got a decent amount of money. I have a feeling it will probably come down to American vs. Syracuse Public Diplomacy program for me, still waiting on money there though. Is anyone else going to the admitted grad students day at American. It bugs me that it's only 2 days before they want decisions! Plus it's really inconvenient for me since I was already planning to go to the DC area the next weekend. Anyway, back on track, thoughts on the program and the admitted students day?

Within int'l development, it's surprisingly well respected. That said, I think its fair to say that most employers agree that SAIS is probably a step above due to its strong emphasis on economics. Of course it depends on what you want to focus on, but altogether I think SIS' reputation in DC is solid. It also has a good sized alumni base that stays in the area. Strong PMF placement.

I can't speak to the public policy side of things.

To those who received SIS's admission packet with funding: Congrats! And is your funding information mentioned in the admission letter or there's another letter(or sth like that) which is separate from the admission letter that tell you the funding decision? Because I emailed the admission office about the status and the office response me with a text format of my admission letter, with no funding mentioned on that...So just wonder if I'll get no $$ from SIS...

I got a big package in the mail with acceptance letter & fellowship info.

Thank you for your quick reply, Slothrop99! So you mean the fellowship info is separate from the acceptance letter? Then Is there any word on fellowship mentioned in the accetance letter? My admission package is still en route (damned snail mail!)...

When I got my package the scholarship/fellowship info was in the acceptance letter, right after the "Congratulations you're in" part. Just found it funny that on the page you have to send them to let them know if you want to go there or not you have to check off a box indicating you do want the scholarship. Lol thanks for letting me and giving me money, but I really would like to pay full tuition! Yeah right. Hope you get good news soon.

I'm still waiting on SIS. It's taken them forever considering I submitted my application before the January 15th deadlines. How is it that schools like MSFS and WWS that get 800 - 1000 applicants have a smoother and more efficient system?

I'm still waiting on SIS. It's taken them forever considering I submitted my application before the January 15th deadlines. How is it that schools like MSFS and WWS that get 800 - 1000 applicants have a smoother and more efficient system?

Maybe you should call them. One of my recs arrived super late at American (I swear, this one professor was always either 100% on his game, sending out letters the same day I emailed him, or completely unreachable for weeks on end). The admissions counselor worked this out with me (March 4) and I received my decision about 2 weeks later.

I called them today and they said that all decisions have now been mailed. I explained that I'm out of the country for several weeks traveling and need to make a decision soon and asked if there was any way they could notify me by email. They agreed, so I'm expecting to hear something soon.

SIS gets 2,200+... that would explain the "smoother and more efficient system" elsewhere :)

DId anyone get the email from SIS about being admitted to the Graduate Admissions event? Its an email about the receptions held in various locales around the country. Im trying to figure out if its a mass email or an email for those who have been accepted.

Im still waiting on SIS and NYU.

I was admitted in early March and I sent my reply form and deposit cheque a few days later. As of this morning I hadn't heard back from them at all, my cheque had not yet been cashed, and I couldn't RSVP online for Grad Day, so I decided to give them a call; I spoke to an admissions counselor and it seems they've received a much larger number of applications this year than they did last year, so they're running a bit behind.

They told me to RSVP by sending an email and to create a student account, so I now have an american.edu email address, along with access to resources like a "get ready for grad school" checklist which seems to be quite useful.

I'm still waiting for course registration and financial aid information, and I've no idea when/how I'll get an advisor. Has anybody gotten that far?

I called them today and they said that all decisions have now been mailed. I explained that I'm out of the country for several weeks traveling and need to make a decision soon and asked if there was any way they could notify me by email. They agreed, so I'm expecting to hear something soon.

Did you ever get that email. I am an intl applicant that applied to a dual degree program. I heard from the other school almost a month ago but still nothing from SIS. I am just wondering what my chances are of getting the decision via email.

Did you ever get that email. I am an intl applicant that applied to a dual degree program. I heard from the other school almost a month ago but still nothing from SIS. I am just wondering what my chances are of getting the decision via email.

Hi mbagirl, I'm an int'l applicant also. I emailed the admission office about my decision on 10/Mar and they told me my decision was sent on 6/Mar, no word on whether it's good news or not. Then on 23/Mar, I felt I can't wait anymore, so I emailed them again to see why the envelop still hadn't arrived at me. They soon responsed with a decision letter in text format, which told me I'm in, though till now I still haven't got the packet. So just try to ask them!