For PhD in Statistics admissions, should I take Linear Algebra or Real Analysis?

I am currently a senior who will be applying to PhD programs. I plan on taking either Linear Algebra or Real Analysis. I really don't have too much other room in my schedule and can only take 1. The linear algebra class is an upper-division linear algebra course. I have previously taken the lower division linear algebra course. Between these classes, which one might look better to admissions? thanks!

Tough one. Real analysis will look better I think, but linear algebra is probably more relevant. Maybe not.

Take the analysis course I'd say. I know some professors wonder why some people don't take analysis if it's offered, they view it as a bad sign.

If the Linear Algebra course is proof heavy, I'd recommend starting there. You're going to have to take Real Analysis at some point but if you haven't had a math course with proofs then RA might prove to be a rough transition.

Oops, just reread your post and realized that you answered my question, more or less.

Is the Linear Algebra course more abstract in nature, or does it focus on applications? Either would be great, but if it's very abstract then I'd definitely lean towards taking RA.

Depends on what schools you will be applying to.  Most will have LA as a requirement - period.  Even BioStats which is a bit less heavy on the heavy theory has that as a basic requirement (for PhD's).  Better to be able to get in the door some places (schools that don't require RA) than no places (schools that don't require LA).

Guest dot.matrix

Depends on what schools you will be applying to.  Most will have LA as a requirement - period.  Even BioStats which is a bit less heavy on the heavy theory has that as a basic requirement (for PhD's).  Better to be able to get in the door some places (schools that don't require RA) than no places (schools that don't require LA).

The poster has already had a lower division linear algebra course, are you suggesting that this will not be adequate to fulfill the requirement?

If you have a lower division linear algebra course you really need to take Analysis. Question though is this graduate analysis or undergraduate? I know a lot of top schools want you to have 2 semesters of undergrad analysis before applying.