Denominational Affiliation and Grad School

Therewillbeluke

I know its not a big issue at all, but for those currently in school: what is the dynamic like in regard to denominations? In other words, is it strange to be Protestant at a Catholic school or vice versa?

Similarly, I am curious as to what degree church affiliation has played a role in selection of schools to apply to/ultimately attend if anyone would like to share.

I'm Catholic, and I applied to Catholic programs for my MTS because I want to be a Catholic theologian, so I figured getting a grounding in my own tradition was probably wise. That being said, I'm considering moving outside Catholic education for my PhD if I go that route.

I think it depends on the degree, the area, and your sense of vocation. If you're getting an MDiv, you will need some exposure to the practices of your own tradition. If you're doing a doctorate, you will want to find an institution that is at least somewhat compatible with your own beliefs and goals and that provides appropriate resources for your chosen area of study. Some areas and denominations require that you stay closer to home, while others are more open to a wider range of possibilities. And if you have more than one vocational ball up in the air at any point in time (ordination? Academia? Family commitments?) you may find that the best choice is not necessarily the "best" school.

Depends where you are. At BC, for instance, I would say most were Catholic (surprise, I know), so it might feel "odd" if you are taking a lot of practical courses. Same goes for prot. schools like Duke. Most of the people I have met in the Div. school seem to be ignorant of Catholicism (my experience, take that for what it is). 

One of my good friends that I went to BC with, who is now doing a second MTS at ND (in early Christianity) has complained to me countless times about how much more conservative the student body is, than say BC. I think it would be a bit more uncomfortable to be a prot. at a place like that. I'm agnostic and had an easy time completely avoiding any theology while I was at BC. I'm not sure if you could do such a thing at ND (from what I hear). But, who knows, don't take my comments too seriously, as my experience is, well, just that. 

cheers

This really depends on the denomination and school in question.

If you're a Phelps family level of conservative, Harvard Div. is going to be a nightmare for you.

I consider myself rather moderate, and I had a pretty rough time at HDS.

Between Unitarians (including married women) laughing about their weekend trips to male strip clubs in NYC, Catholics apostatizing themselves (I mean that literally) by holding female run masses in the chapel, Jews surprised by my surprise about their "S&M Haggadah," the Queer Thanksgiving (well, queer everything really), and the official community wide email blast calling for protests against a pro-life speaker coming to Harvard ...this isn't your grandfather's divinity school. 

All that said, the faculty, at least the one's I worked with, were all superb and denominational diversity in those context was certainly an asset. 

I have a good friend, an Evangelical, who went to Xavier for his undergrad, Denver Seminary for an MDiv, Fuller for an MAT (since his DSem GPA was bad), and is now at Duquesne for his PhD in systematic theology. With the exception of Denver, he's had a great experience everywhere he's been.

I was friends with quite a few atheists when I was at Fuller (including a couple professors.) Not that any of them made that public, of course. Being raised an Evangelical myself, I sometimes regret not going outside of the box a little bit for my theological education. I just didn't know enough when I made the switch from English lit. Still, as I mentioned, I was able to find people who weren't Evangelical at all, and I spent a lot of time with them. I think it's probably possible to find people you fit in with just about anywhere you go. As long as you're aware of the potential conflicts you could encounter, I think it's good to go some place that's going to help you see things a bit differently.

Oh, don't get me wrong--it's still plenty Evangelical, especially on the practical ministry side of things.  :) And I knew plenty of students who were distraught by the existence of someone like Nancey Murphy at FTS (who is not one of the aforementioned atheists.)

If you're familiar with the faculty there at all, it probably wouldn't be that surprising to find out which ones are though.

I consider myself rather moderate, and I had a pretty rough time at HDS.

Between Unitarians (including married women) laughing about their weekend trips to male strip clubs in NYC, Catholics apostatizing themselves (I mean that literally) by holding female run masses in the chapel, Jews surprised by my surprise about their "S&M Haggadah," the Queer Thanksgiving (well, queer everything really), and the official community wide email blast calling for protests against a pro-life speaker coming to Harvard ...this isn't your grandfather's divinity school. 

All that said, the faculty, at least the one's I worked with, were all superb and denominational diversity in those context was certainly an asset. 

When I was at seminary, I was considered a bomb-throwing communist revolutionary, and that sounds excessive even to me.