Drexel University : Admission accepted now asking to pay$300

chandan2u

Hi Mates,

My application to Drexel university has been accepted for admission. A mail from their graduate admission provided me link and pin/password to log in to the enrollment page where it says I have to pay 300 dollar to confirm admission. The mail also stated that 'this decision does not imply an offer of an assistantship. Teaching, research and graduate assistantships are awarded by the academic department and questions concerning these should be directed to your graduate advisor. An updated list of advisors and their contact information can be found on the following website http://www.drexel.edu/provost/graduates ... sors.html'

I have mailed the advisor, he asked me to contact professors. Then I mailed several professors without any response. On the other hand, the graduate admission office sent me a reminder to confirm admission (i.e. pay the money). I really dont understand what to do. Anyone had similar situations? Please suggest.

thanks

Chandan

I've never heard of such a thing. What a rip-off. Do you have offers at any other schools? Can you easily afford the 300$? I don't know what to tell you, but I empathize. I think that's just plain wrong.

It sounds like you are referring to the enrollment deposit. Pretty much every school will have some form of enrollment deposit they require you to pay if you decide to accept their offer of admission. Most are usually $300 - $500.

This money might be used to pay your fees, or it could be held and refunded in full upon graduation - every school has a different policy. Depending on your financial situation you may be able to request that the enrollment deposit be waived, but it is probably case by case.

This isn't a rip off or weird. Every school I have been admitted to so far has some type of enrollment deposit.

I think the issue this person is having isn't the deposit, which is fairly normal. I think it's that he or she is feeling unsure because they are requesting a deposit and haven't assured him or her of financial aid. Obviously this person will lose the deposit if he changes his mind.

Are you applying to the PhD program? If so, sit back and wait for news of financial assistance. You have until April 15. They can't take away your acceptance. Are you applying to a master's program? Then this is different.

Don't do anything until you hear word about financial assistance. With your acceptance letter (assuming you already have one), the power is in your hands. Don't give it up by sending in money before the financial package is offered.

I know it can seem stressful, but don't stress. School are in agreement that they cannot retract until after April 15 for PhD programs. If it's a masters, pay attention to the deadline in the letter.

None of the programs I applied to for master's or PhD had students pay an enrollment deposit. If I were you, OP, I would hold off on doing anything until April 15.

So how do they make sure people just don't accept an offer and then go elsewhere? Don't they need some kind of assurance? One other question I had in mind was what happens if you accept one of your offers (school X) by the April 15th deadline and then your top choice (school Y) makes an offer to you as somebody else had rejected their offer. What do you now do? Can you go ahead and tell school X that you just received an offer from Y that you value more and would be attending Y? How does this whole thing work?

GraduateSchoolNut's concern is right. The amount is non-refundable, I am ready to pay if funding is available but... Moreover it is my first letter of acceptance, yet to hear from any other school, and yes I applied to Electrical Engineering PhD for Fall 2009. 

But what if no professor replies (regarding funds) within April 15 and....? Can't imagine.

And in case of drexel, even some professor's page has very few amount of information about their research interest, in some cases Lab's webpage is unavailable though link is given.

Guys can u please suggest me some schools still having deadline so that I can apply for fall 2009?

Most of the deadlines have passed, and I'd think twice before applying to a school just because it has a late deadline. But--one thing you might try is a Google search for: PhD electrical engineering "rolling admissions," or PhD electrical engineering deadline March (or April, or May).

I am in a similar situation with another school (no word on funding, but a request to let them know if I accept)--and I have to say, if you do not get funding (and you need funding) then don't pay the deposit, and don't worry about them bugging you. To me, them bugging you says a lot about what's most important to them. . . My school doesn't ask for a deposit, but I wouldn't dream of paying one in this situation. This may mean losing an offer, but if you can't afford to pay and you don't have an assistantship, well, you can't afford to go. And you shouldn't accept.

This may seem harsh situation, but to some schools, it's more important to fill the seat with a student who can pay them. In this situation, I think you'd be better off trying again next year than accepting out of desperation and paying more than you can afford to pay.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry mates I was frustated regarding the admission and was away from the forum for some time. And no Drexel is continuing to behave the same way. I have UTK decisions pending only. Now I am looking for chances that I accept Drexel then wait for the I20 whether any wonder is there. Someone in Drexel-CS Deptt said that the worst case is, u go there w/o fund and pay money for 1 sem then manage TA. What about this?

Drexel isn't the only school that asks for a enrollment with a tuition deposit. The other schools on my list besides Yale asked for a deposit (Yale funds ALL of its PhD students).