Wenner Gren 2013

boomer

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us who were rejected, what was your number?  My first time applying was 3, this time it was 2.5.  What sort of number makes the cut?

I got a 4.0, which means my proposal was really weak. Then again, trying to write a good proposal within a month of starting a PhD program isn't the easiest.

What was the cutoff point, I'd really like to know since I'm resubmitting!

I had a 2.7.  This is my first time applying and I got really useful feedback, but I'm having so much trouble making myself finish up the reapplication. I know parts of my lit review were really undertheorized, but now I feel like I'm going way overboard.

I'm not sure what the cut-off is.  I've heard 1.5 is likely to be funded, but anything over a 2 is a maybe (though a 2 is probably unlikely to be funded).  Also, the president of Wenner-gren also is able to choose a few of the lower scoring grants, if she really wants to see them funded.

postit, it was in the president's comments at the very bottom of the email after the actual reviews.

How many reviews did people get?

Strange, I didn't have a number after the president's comments. But I also didn't get past the initial 50% so perhaps they thought my proposal didn't even warrant a ranking. The reviewer's comments were pretty sloppy as well- lots of grammatical errors and calling me "he" when I made clear I was a "she" in my proposal, etc.

I was rejected in the second round with a 2.3 score. 3 reviewers were listed. The first just says recommended for the next round, the second was very positive, and the third was more critical. Good luck to anyone applying today!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up that I receives an email from Funding Review today, the one asking what other funding applications I have out/successful and telling me there is no need to reapply by Nov. 1. Surpised me actually since I thought some of the comments first time around would be hard to fully address. Anyway, I'd imagine you all should be hearing soon one way or another. Good luck!

My email went out at 11:30am eastern today. Not sure about the rest but I'd assume similar. Past rounds it seems from this thread it's usually Monday and Tuesday, ao obviously a difference here that it's Wednesday. Possible I am/was an alternate (though not sure they have formal ones).

Good luck!

I got the same email asking if I got funding from other sources and that it isn't necessary to reapply for the November 1 deadline. It was sent from Funding Review at 2:09pm today.

Sorry to hear that postit. I got a "thanks for info and we'll be making decisions over the next few weeks" email a little after 8am today. I'd be curious about your scores - I wonder if they have a tiered rejection strategy after round two (ie as people accept offers/say they don't have other funding do they start lopping off some of the lower ranked 'maybe fundable' proposals?). Who knows.

Well, that sucked.  My scores on resubmission were much worse and my critique far harsher.  I just don't know if it's worth a third go-around at this point.  Add this to the fact I fractured my elbow last week and my candidacy exams are at the beginning of next month and I'm pretty confident in saying this is the worst month ever.