Retake GRE?

fallen625

Hey all, I am debating how much the benefit of retaking the GRE would be for Clinical Psychology programs? I got a 161 in both verbal and quantitative - I realize this is a solid score, but obviously there is room for improvement. I have the time and the money to retake it, but at the same time I could spend this time and money on other things related to improving my application :)

Thoughts?

161 on both parts? I'm guessing that's like 89th and 86th percentile respectively? I would not waste the time or money if I were you. Your scores are high enough to make any cut-offs that a school might have. As you mentioned, I would spend more time enhancing the other parts of your application. I know clinical psych programs are competitive, but the majority of graduate schools take into account several other variables aside from GRE scores. Your scores are definitely high enough to make the statement that you have the aptitude to do well in graduate school. I wouldn't run the risk of taking it a 2nd time a scoring slightly lower on a section.

But then again, it all depends on the caliber of the schools you are applying to and if they are master's or Ph.D. programs. I would contact some of the schools you are looking to apply to and ask them for the median GRE scores for former successful applicants or if you're an APA member (or pay 19.95 for a temporary access to the APA program database), you can look at the graduate schools you are applying to and some of them list the median GRE scores of those who were admitted. Hope this helps.

https://my.apa.org/apa/idm/login.seam?ERIGHTS_TARGET=http%3A%2F%2Fgradstudy.apa.org%2Findex.cfm%3Faction%3DcomparePrograms&AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED=true#

161 on both parts? I'm guessing that's like 89th and 86th percentile respectively? I would not waste the time or money if I were you. Your scores are high enough to make any cut-offs that a school might have. As you mentioned, I would spend more time enhancing the other parts of your application. I know clinical psych programs are competitive, but the majority of graduate schools take into account several other variables aside from GRE scores. Your scores are definitely high enough to make the statement that you have the aptitude to do well in graduate school. I wouldn't run the risk of taking it a 2nd time a scoring slightly lower on a section.

But then again, it all depends on the caliber of the schools you are applying to and if they are master's or Ph.D. programs. I would contact some of the schools you are looking to apply to and ask them for the median GRE scores for former successful applicants or if you're an APA member (or pay 19.95 for a temporary access to the APA program database), you can look at the graduate schools you are applying to and some of them list the median GRE scores of those who were admitted. Hope this helps.

https://my.apa.org/apa/idm/login.seam?ERIGHTS_TARGET=http%3A%2F%2Fgradstudy.apa.org%2Findex.cfm%3Faction%3DcomparePrograms&AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED=true#

I would go with a simple answer and say take it again. If you genuinely think you can boost these up substantially, and you have the time and resources, take it again. Aim for 95% percentile for both of these. Also take the Subjects GRE and make sure you get an 800 on it. Causually study for the subjects GRE since it's just rote memorization.

Unfortunately, GREs matter. And a 95% on both signals a very strong applicant.

I would suggest spending the time improving the rest of your app. GRE scores alone will not get you an interview/invitation. 85th percentile is fine. Raising the scores higher than that will show AdComs that you can take tests. It will say nothing about your ability to conduct research. Unless you're looking at schools where the GRE cut-offs are higher than what you have (many will post that data on the department website), I'd leave it alone, and work on making yourself a more well-rounded applicant.

Thank you everyone. I went back to my list of schools - my verbal score is 20-50 points below the average one for around half of my top choice schools (most of them very competitive) - otherwise, everything else seems fine. I am so torn! 

I would consider retaking it if you are planning on applying to top tier programs and think you can boost each of them up 2-4 more points. It sounds like you have already checked them against your targeted schools, so that will be your call to make, but you do not necessarily need to stress about 95%iles if your scores fall within range.

I disagree about needing an 800 on the subject GRE. I would take it if one of your schools requires it of course, but even amongst top schools where it is required, it is not as well-regarded or critical in the decision making process as the standard GRE unless you are coming from a less traditional background, e.g., non-psych undergrad who needs to demonstrate that the core psych background is there. (There's a reason so many schools don't require that test at all.) Again, higher is always better, but even for the cream of the crop, you certainly do not need a 99% on the psych GRE just to be competitive.

Overall, GREs are most important for getting your application past the initial screening where they weed out the low numbers. If your scores are in the right range for the school, the rest of your application takes over from there. Hitting a school's (unpublished) cut-off mark is definitely critical, but when it comes to a final round, no decent school is going to turn away an applicant with a better SoP, recommendations, experience, and/or research match just because their GRE scores are a point or two lower than the competition.

Edited by Jon-Jon Johnson

Hey all, I am debating how much the benefit of retaking the GRE would be for Clinical Psychology programs? I got a 161 in both verbal and quantitative - I realize this is a solid score, but obviously there is room for improvement. I have the time and the money to retake it, but at the same time I could spend this time and money on other things related to improving my application :)

Thoughts?

Personally, if I were in your place, I wouldn't retake the GREs.  You already have strong scores.  My MA thesis supervisor always told me, "Get to excellent, and move on."  Your scores are already excellent, so I think it would be better for you to spend your time and energy improving maybe slightly weaker areas of your CV.  Research wise, you could focus on adding another publication to your CV, volunteering in a new lab for an additional research assistantship, preparing a poster for an upcoming academic conference, taking an SEM or more specialized graduate statistics course, etc.  In terms of clinical experience, you could volunteer anyplace where you could improve on or gain new clinical skills.

My former supervisor's advice has always stuck with me, so I just wanted to share. 

Best of luck on all your applications.  :)