Having a job while in a fully funded Ph.D. program

McPsychy

Wondered if anyone here holds or did hold a job while attending a Ph.D. program in addition to their RA/GA/TAship they had (for people who are in fully funded programs)? If you did, what type of job did you have and was it anyway related to your studies? Just wondered as I have though about picking up a part time job while being in school. I am comfortible with working an extra gig from my grad school exp. so far, but know some programs frown upon this or do not want you to work extra outside the department. Thoughts?

Some universities will not allow you to work outside of the program. Either because of how the funding works or because of university rules. Might want to check with the program/university. Besides, you shouldn't even have time for that :)

Wondered if anyone here holds or did hold a job while attending a Ph.D. program in addition to their RA/GA/TAship they had (for people who are in fully funded programs)? If you did, what type of job did you have and was it anyway related to your studies? Just wondered as I have though about picking up a part time job while being in school. I am comfortible with working an extra gig from my grad school exp. so far, but know some programs frown upon this or do not want you to work extra outside the department. Thoughts?

I talked to this girl the other day and she did that when she was a graduate student a couple of years ago. Long story short, she did not graduate, she left after her second year because she only worked 20 hours/week for her TAship, and she got herself a part time job off campus. She didn't have enough materials ready for her research plan/proposal and had to leave.

Piling on, don't get any extra job, part-time or otherwise.

First, it might not be allowed by your program (or external funding agency if fortunate enough to have one) because they view their funding as covering all of your full-time hours.

Second, you just won't have time. Period.  If you have enough spare time for a job, then you should be doing more research.

This is really program-specific. During my MA program, I had an offcampus job for 8-12 hours per week. It was really easy work (I had done similar work before in another job and knew the software already) and I was able to use the time at work to conduct literature searches, skim articles, outline thesis chapters, and even edit them. But it really depends on the kind of job you get and where you are in the program. It was also possible because of the TA/RA assignment I had at the time. Honestly, with my current TA assignment, I could take on the offcampus job I had before very easily and it wouldn't hinder my degree progress at all. Like I said, it really is dependent on your campus and offcampus jobs, what you need to get done, and how you work best.

At my current school, two grad students currently work off campus. One has a job related to her research, and seems more than capable of juggling both, although she relies on a lot of caffeine. The other is not often in the lab and tends to get emails from the PI about putting in more lab time. I have a feeling it won't work out in the long run.

So there's some anecdata. I personally look forward to NOT having two jobs on top of school and volunteer work and all that. I hope to just focus on grad school and my research, which is why I only applied to fully funded programs. 

What about free-lance work, if you have a skill that can be used that way? I thought of trying to pick up some extra money when I have a free weekend. I'm assuming this doesn't fall under the "no job" ban that some schools have?

Apologies for being blunt, but I think that if you have time for a second job then you should be doing more research... if you want an academic job. It's not just about "degree progress", it's about getting enough material on your CV so that you can get a job afterwards. One PhD + 0 publications = no job prospects.

I can carve out a limited exception for the people whose jobs are research-relevant or involved so little work that they could spend their time on homework, etc..

Personally, I am dreaming about the days when all I have to do is submerse myself in research and coursework and theses and an eventual dissertation.  I'm sick of juggling a non-related full-time job and a part-time job and classes and committees and research. 

I'd rather live on ramen, keep the heat down way low, and be of one mind.

Apologies for being blunt, but I think that if you have time for a second job then you should be doing more research... if you want an academic job. It's not just about "degree progress", it's about getting enough material on your CV so that you can get a job afterwards. One PhD + 0 publications = no job prospects.

I can carve out a limited exception for the people whose jobs are research-relevant or involved so little work that they could spend their time on homework, etc..

Lewin, let's remember that everyone is coming from different circumstances, and with different expectations for the future. Of course your first priority should be your academic career/PhD if you're going to go into a PhD program in the first place, but I think there are few people on GradCafe who want to slack off on their PhD just to make money to live more comfortably. 

Lewin, let's remember that everyone is coming from different circumstances, and with different expectations for the future. Of course your first priority should be your academic career/PhD if you're going to go into a PhD program in the first place, but I think there are few people on GradCafe who want to slack off on their PhD just to make money to live more comfortably.

That last part is extremely unfair. Some of us desperately need to work another job just to make ends meet. Not because we want to live comfortably, but because we want to live at all. You should take your own advice and remember that everyone is coming from different circumstances.

Ignore that, apparently I can't read.

I think if the job is research or at least career related (teaching a course at another local school) then it's ok. Talk to your advisor about it first.

Edited by stereopticons

That last part is extremely unfair. Some of us desperately need to work another job just to make ends meet. Not because we want to live comfortably, but because we want to live at all. You should take your own advice and remember that everyone is coming from different circumstances.

I think you misinterpreted what RubyBright said. I believe their point was that it is unlikely that Lewin (or basically anyone here) is looking at doing a job during a PhD because they aren't invested enough in their research. Rather, the vast majority of people take up jobs because, despite receiving a stipend, money can be tight during grad school. In other words, the two of you are in agreement. :)

I think you misinterpreted what RubyBright said. I believe their point was that it is unlikely that Lewin (or basically anyone here) is looking at doing a job during a PhD because they aren't invested enough in their research. Rather, the vast majority of people take up jobs because, despite receiving a stipend, money can be tight during grad school. In other words, the two of you are in agreement. :)

Haha. Oh. The power of missing just one letter. I thought she said "I think there are a few people..." not "I think there are few people." Now I look silly. 

Haha. Oh. The power of missing just one letter. I thought she said "I think there are a few people..." not "I think there are few people." Now I look silly. 

Hahaha! Goodness, no. We're definitely in agreement on this one.

If it makes you feel better I read it the same way. :P

Hey all, thanks for the responses :)

I didn't see anything to suggest dire circumstances in the OP ("thinking of picking up...") so I didn't make that inference. I wrote stridently because I didn't want anybody under the illusion that it won't hamper their long-term progress because it will, and it should be avoided if at all possible. But obviously if you need to work to eat (and student loans aren't an option) then get that job.

Working is the same as any alternative activity. I'm married and my partner works full time. That helps a lot with the finances, but does result in lots of time where we're being a couple and I'm not working. Is it worth it? Definitely. But it "hurts" my career in some sense. Once I got the advice: "Don't have hobbies. And if you are going to have a partner, make sure it's somebody who values work as much as you do, so you can keep each other working and not slacking off." I didn't follow that advice. "Food" is a pretty good reason to take a job but "I don't want a roommate" or "I'd like a car so I don't have to take the bus" might not be.