Teachers College

ctcpx084

I found that the degree I applied is Master of Education, and I'm just an undergraduate student now...Seems like I made a wrong choice...

No you are fine :) I though the same since my application also says Master of Education, then I emailed admissions and they told me that every applicant who does not hold masters degree already, will be considered for Master of Arts. So you are fine, no panic

No you are fine :) I though the same since my application also says Master of Education, then I emailed admissions and they told me that every applicant who does not hold masters degree already, will be considered for Master of Arts. So you are fine, no panic

Ā 

Oh thank you so much, your words do comfort me!

You also made application for fall2014? Hope all of us get good news!

Ā 

Edited by josephineruc

I believe the absolute deadline for each department is after spring break, which is next week. From what I hear, some depts have been slow to decide / some are still undecided...

Ā 

I'm a little bit nervous about this because my position in JHU will expire soon...but I just can't let Columbia go...

Oh thank you so much, your words do comfort me!

You also made application for fall2014? Hope all of us get good news!

Ā 

I applied to Harvard and Stanford as well and they both accepted me. So 99 percent I am not going to Columbia :) Good luck!

I found that the degree I applied is Master of Education, and I'm just an undergraduate student now...Seems like I made a wrong choice...

Ā 

The difference between MA and EdM can be found on the TC FAQ website. I don't believe, by their words, that you must have graduate credits to start the EdM program. The length of the programs do differ, though.Ā 

Ā 

How do the Master of Arts (M.A.) and the Master of Education (Ed.M.) degrees differ?

The Master of Arts requires the completion of a minimum of 30 points. The Master of Education requires a minimum of 60 points to complete the degree.

The Ed.M. is an advanced Master's degree and applicants will often have professional experience before applying.

Ā 

How long will it take to complete a degree at TC?

Length of time to complete a degree varies by program, degree, credit requirement, and whether or not students are pursuing their degrees on a part-time or full-time basis and have field work requirements. In general, with a full-time course load, a 32 credit M.A. program can be completed in 1 calendar year and the 60 credit Ed.M. in 2 calendar years. The length of time to complete a doctoral program can range from 4-7 years. Factors determining length of study of a doctoral program include: the number of previous graduate credits transferred into the program and the nature of student's research and dissertation.

Ā 

Here is the link:Ā http://www.tc.columbia.edu/admissions/index.asp?Id=Info&Info=FAQ

I applied for the EdM, too. So, there shouldn't be any worries. :)Ā 

Edited by Georgia2012

I believe the absolute deadline for each department is after spring break, which is next week. From what I hear, some depts have been slow to decide / some are still undecided...

Ā 

That's so farĀ  :( I hope they come sometime this week, I don't know if I can make it any longer.

I applied to Harvard and Stanford as well and they both accepted me. So 99 percent I am not going to Columbia :) Good luck!

Ā 

Good for you!! I wish my GPA was higher to apply to those universities...and wish I can share your luck :D Thank you!

Ā 

Which program did you apply for?

Sociology and Education...

I'm accepted by UVa's Social Foundations program and JHU's School Couseling fellows program, Columbia is my dream school and I'm hesitating now...

The difference between MA and EdM can be found on the TC FAQ website. I don't believe, by their words, that you must have graduate credits to start the EdM program. The length of the programs do differ, though.Ā 

Ā 

How do the Master of Arts (M.A.) and the Master of Education (Ed.M.) degrees differ?

The Master of Arts requires the completion of a minimum of 30 points. The Master of Education requires a minimum of 60 points to complete the degree.

The Ed.M. is an advanced Master's degree and applicants will often have professional experience before applying.

Ā 

How long will it take to complete a degree at TC?

Length of time to complete a degree varies by program, degree, credit requirement, and whether or not students are pursuing their degrees on a part-time or full-time basis and have field work requirements. In general, with a full-time course load, a 32 credit M.A. program can be completed in 1 calendar year and the 60 credit Ed.M. in 2 calendar years. The length of time to complete a doctoral program can range from 4-7 years. Factors determining length of study of a doctoral program include: the number of previous graduate credits transferred into the program and the nature of student's research and dissertation.

Ā 

Here is the link:Ā http://www.tc.columbia.edu/admissions/index.asp?Id=Info&Info=FAQ

I applied for the EdM, too. So, there shouldn't be any worries. :)Ā 

So you have work experience as a teacher or something?

So you have work experience as a teacher or something?

I don't think it's necessarily experience as a teacher, but probably just in the field. How did you decide on Sociology and Education? I was deciding whether I wanted to do that program or education policy, and policy won for me.

Congrats Georgia2012! That's awesome!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Nothing on my page, though I am in a different program. My heart was racing as I logged in to check. I just want this to be over!

Still waiting on one from TC and a few other schools. It's really difficult for me that some schools informed me of decisions 2-3 weeks ago and were quite proactive about it while other schools, like TC, are so much later. What's the deal? More applicants to pick from? More complicated process? They know we want to attend, so they take their time?

False alarm today: I got my JHU acceptance followed by an email from Columbia that was prefaced with "we got your application..." but it was advertising the JFEW scholarship (for women); unfortunately due to my personal circumstances I don't think I'll be spending 2 years in NYC because my SO works in MD. I was so pumped! At least I got JHU? :)Ā 

OK - this might be a silly question, but given a choice between Columbia TC and Harvard GSE for Ed policy, which offers a better program/experience? Obviously Harvard is Harvard and it would also be an EdM degree vs the MA at Columbia. Any thoughts? Cost not an issue.

SoCalGuy - I am actually currently making that decision. I think I am leaning more toward HGSE because of how child-centered and policy-oriented it is. My previous experience with TC was when I was teaching in the NYCDOE, and I wasn't a big fan of the school's methods. If it is your goal to work in New York City, Columbia is a really good investment. I have had friends who have graduated from TC and they were not very happy with their experience.

Ā 

I am seriously considering both, though. Where are you leaning and why?

Harvard has and remains my top choice. I just wanted second and third (and fourth lol) opinions. I had heard from a few TC grads as well who weren't happy either. Why did your friends not like their experience? I had heard TC is more like a "factory" and that only the very motivated can get to know profs/work on research projects etc. it has a huge faculty which is a draw for me and it seems like their facilities are better than Harvard's but overall HGSE alums seem much more satisfied with their experience. Would you agree?

Harvard has and remains my top choice. I just wanted second and third (and fourth lol) opinions. I had heard from a few TC grads as well who weren't happy either. Why did your friends not like their experience? I had heard TC is more like a "factory" and that only the very motivated can get to know profs/work on research projects etc. it has a huge faculty which is a draw for me and it seems like their facilities are better than Harvard's but overall HGSE alums seem much more satisfied with their experience. Would you agree?

I'd like to know a little bit more why as well since I will be attending TC this fall. SoCalGuy - what did the grads you spoke with say? Thank you in advanceĀ  :)