2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Hi all,

I figured I'd join the conversation since I check this thread about 2-3 times a day... Waiting has definitely been the hardest part but I have to keep reminding myself that it's still sooooo early!

Thanks to all who have been posting their good news, it helps to pass the time while waiting for any response from any of my schools :)

Hi all,

I figured I'd join the conversation since I check this thread about 2-3 times a day... Waiting has definitely been the hardest part but I have to keep reminding myself that it's still sooooo early!

Thanks to all who have been posting their good news, it helps to pass the time while waiting for any response from any of my schools :)

You applied to three of the six schools that I did.  I don't think we will hear from MGH until next week and Northeastern until mid-March so it is so early! Are you out of major or SLP undergrad?

I also applied to MGH, I think we may start hearing back around 3/1, that's when results were posted last year. But who knows lol, guess we will find out!

Sorry just re-posted this by accident! Did you apply to MGH last year? I'm so nervous and hope we hear the results this week!!

You applied to three of the six schools that I did.  I don't think we will hear from MGH until next week and Northeastern until mid-March so it is so early! Are you out of major or SLP undergrad?

Oh awesome! I'm pretty much in love with all of the Boston area schools and change my top choice on a daily basis. I was a Psych major (graduated 2010) and have been working in autism research for the past 2.5 years.

Yeah, I've heard mid March for most of the programs.

I just got a call from Emerson, and I've been accepted! I'm sure you guys will be hearing soon! Good luck to everyone.

Congrats on Emerson! That is so exciting! I'm glad to hear they've begun to notify everyone!

Ugh, I just checked & no change.  I'm thinking that isn't good news.

I was expecting to not get in, though - the U is definitely a reach for me.  At least I hadn't gotten super hopeful.

Hey, don't lose hope yet. Maybe they do it in batches, maybe they do rejections or waitlists first and final review right now is actually a bad thing... you never know.

I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to seem like I'm busting out the guitar and strumming the opening chords to Kumbaya, but it isn't impossible at all.  And I know you know this is true.  It's these automatic negative thoughts that are absolute ruin.  By simply recognizing and being cool with the fact that those thoughts do fire off automatically in response to a potentially negative event is in and of itself a step in the right direction.  Recognize them and challenge with an equally likely, positive thought.  Give it a shot at least -- it can't hurt!

....Some people just want to vent their frustrations and talk about their concerns, and what better place than here? No offense, but positivity's easy once you've got an acceptance under your belt.

thats awesome, congrats!!! boston is great! if you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application?

I got all of my materials to them by the 15th of Jan (including reccs, etc.), but I submitted by CSDCAS by the 15th of December to make sure that csdcas had time to process the app before the Jan 15th deadline.

jmarti, I see you've applied to FSU. Not sure if you saw the email yet, but we are supposed to hear decisions on March 10 at 5 pm! What a potentially good/terrible thing to receive during my spring break...

I applied to FSU as well, I went to undergrad there, but I doubt that will help my chances! I received the e-mail as well, a second e-mail went out correcting the date of notification to Monday, March 11th at 5. Good luck everyone! No matter what happens, don't give up. This is year #2 of applying for me, and I still may not get in anywhere!

In good news today, UNC Greensboro reports that 100% of their candidates in SLP have taken and PASSED the praxis, on the first attempt!  YAY!  This gives me lots of optimism if I end up there.  Like I said before... would love to get in anywhere I applied, so I am very much excited about what all of the programs are doing!! 

I just heard from Marquette too!  I emailed back about funding and was told we would be emailed within the next few days if we have gotten anything!

Me too!  So happy for everyone today! :) and positive thoughts to all that are still waiting.  One more month will bring a load of clarity! 

Edited by lissap08

I applied to FSU as well, I went to undergrad there, but I doubt that will help my chances! I received the e-mail as well, a second e-mail went out correcting the date of notification to Monday, March 11th at 5. Good luck everyone! No matter what happens, don't give up. This is year #2 of applying for me, and I still may not get in anywhere!

Do you have any idea of how competitive it is?

I just got a call from Emerson, and I've been accepted! I'm sure you guys will be hearing soon! Good luck to everyone.

Did anyone else apply to Temple? I saw that some people got acceptances today. I logged onto my account just now and saw that my status is "Incomplete Items Outstanding." I sent in all of my documents to them, double checked with my professors to make sure they sent their reccs, and right after I submitted my app, I received a confirmation email from Temple saying that my app was turned in. I'm not sure what could be missing :/ and it's frustrating at this point because I worked so hard to get it right.

Congratulations on Emerson!  I'm in love with their program and am dying to hear back from them soon. 

In the case of Temple, I had to call them three times to make sure they had all of my documents to update my application status on the TU portal in early February.  I played phone tag with Dawn Dandridge until it was noted complete.  I recommend calling and emailing her to confirm that Temple's received everything for your application.  Some schools are just less organized than others...

For those of you who mentioned that your applications to the University of Minnesota had been updated to "Final Review" - any word? My status just switched to that and I'd love to know if I am looking at another 24 or 48 hours - or even more! (FSM forbid)

For those of you who mentioned that your applications to the University of Minnesota had been updated to "Final Review" - any word? My status just switched to that and I'd love to know if I am looking at another 24 or 48 hours - or even more! (FSM forbid)

I just checked again, and same thing. I saw that they notified much earlier last year, so it should be any day (any minute) now. 

undergrad GPA: 3.9, post bac GPA: 4.0, GRE 316, 5.0

Accepted: Rush, GWU, Emerson

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

Interview: BU

Begin the inevitable, "But what does this timing mean?" hand-wringing.

Sometimes I think it would be better to still wait for decisions in the mail, rather than track every small change online.