2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I'm taking a quick break from my studies at the moment ... noticed a few more new folks posting!  Welcome!!  B)

Tried to check your signatures, etc  - is there anyone else who applied to UNC Greensboro on here?  I think I've found others who have applied everywhere else I did, but not UNCG.  Come on out and say hi!  :rolleyes:

Another UNCG applicant here! Any news on when we should expect to hear back?

I go to Alabama for undergrad. They've never done interviews before, so I'm not sure what to tell you. The department is pretty laid back though, and all the teachers are REALLY nice and helpful. I would just prepare for basic questions about your SLP interests and dress business casual. Do you mind if I ask you if you are a post-bach or not? 

The email seemed really friendly and laid back, which was definitely a relief. I applied directly to the grad program, because my situation is a little tricky. As an out of field applicant with a minor in CSD, some schools classify me as a 2 year and some as a 3 year. So it's a bit confusing, which may be why they're interested in chatting with me? That's interesting that they've never done interviews before... now I'm really curious. 

I emailed Dr. Hall at UNCG to find out about expected results, and she answered (rather quickly, I was impressed) - between March 8th and April 15th.  A very big window. I figure they are giving the first acceptances up to the 15th of April to decide, then going to the wait-list.  Maybe we'll know by this coming FRIDAY!  Wouldn't that be nice!! :-)

I don't have all of the pre-reqs (in progress now, 4 complete, 4 to be done during summer) but I indicated that I wanted to complete them over the summer prior to, or concurrent with enrollment, to try to finish in the 2-year window or 2.5 year window if at all possible.  Who knows... I'm out-of-field, so anything is possible.  

Edited by kcald716

Yay for WCU and App State msw. Those seem to be popular schools on this board. Are you an in-field or out of field applicant?

In-field.  Finishing COMD degree in May.  Some volunteer and parapro experience.  First degree is in Biology and spent several years working in biotech before making the switch to SLP.  Hoping for lots of good news in the coming weeks!  Good luck to you!

Hi, did anyone who applied to Indiana University hear back about the STEPS program?

I didn't apply for the STEPS program but has anyone heard from Indiana University at all? I see in the results page that people are getting accepted/waitlisted through postal mail but are rejections coming through postal or email?

Spending this Saturday night at home doing homework in my pajamas.  I've been feeling gross/congested all day and just realized I have a fever.  I think all this stress has really worn me down.  :P  Anyone else around the boards?

I'm feeling like this coming week could be a big one for many of us...

The email seemed really friendly and laid back, which was definitely a relief. I applied directly to the grad program, because my situation is a little tricky. As an out of field applicant with a minor in CSD, some schools classify me as a 2 year and some as a 3 year. So it's a bit confusing, which may be why they're interested in chatting with me? That's interesting that they've never done interviews before... now I'm really curious. 

It's probably because of your situations. I know they will be letting the post-bach students know if they got in on the Monday after next. I was looking at your stats and, honestly, you look like you could get into a higher ranking school than UA. However, I loved my undergrad clinic supervisor, loved my teachers, and overall you get a solid foundation here. They probably just have a few questions about your situation, so I wouldn't stress. Your stats look great compared to other applicants and they let in quite a few post bachs, so don't worry. Let me know who you talked to and how it goes. You can private message me if you have any questions!

I"m here!! Trying to keep my mind off waiting.  There is a slim chance I *might* hear by next Friday, but definitely not holding my breath.  March 15th can NOT get here fast enough!  These next two weeks will be busy for all of us.  Praying for everyone to hear some news that helps send them on their way to grad school!  :rolleyes:

I'm also here! I'm hoping to hear something from University of South Florida next week. Historically, they notify first round admits around the first Wednesday/Thursday of March. They are program I am in LOVE with, so I'm hoping my application was strong enough. However, my birthday is on Thursday, so I'm hoping for positive news only!!!

I think if you email Ina Diana and ask about your status, she'll call the people who are entering them into the computer and get it expedited.  At this point, I would assume wait-list or rejection.  Mine was rejection, and about 3 hours after i emailed her, my status was made available online.   :unsure:

It's probably because of your situations. I know they will be letting the post-bach students know if they got in on the Monday after next. I was looking at your stats and, honestly, you look like you could get into a higher ranking school than UA. However, I loved my undergrad clinic supervisor, loved my teachers, and overall you get a solid foundation here. They probably just have a few questions about your situation, so I wouldn't stress. Your stats look great compared to other applicants and they let in quite a few post bachs, so don't worry. Let me know who you talked to and how it goes. You can private message me if you have any questions!

lacoulter, thank you so much for your information/advice!! My interview is the 11th so I'll let you know how it goes right after!

I think if you email Ina Diana and ask about your status, she'll call the people who are entering them into the computer and get it expedited. At this point, I would assume wait-list or rejection. Mine was rejection, and about 3 hours after i emailed her, my status was made available online. :unsure:

I have totally accepted that UNC CH did not work out favorably for me. Now I'm focusing my attention on the other programs :)

Hi - so I am wondering if you went ahead and got your post-bacc. in Comm. Disorders during this time? Also, are you willing to share your GPA and GRE scores? thanks - personally having a tough time getting accepted, so I am just wondering what it takes!

I did. Utah State's program has been fantastic. I am just finishing up my last semester, and it is flexible enough that I have been able to work full time while working towards the second BS. My first GPA is a 3.9 from a psych BA, and I have a 4.0 at Utah state. GRE is 160V, 156Q, 5.0 AW. I think the most  important experience I have is running a research project for a prof for over 4 years (first undergrad and through my time off). I have seen all parts of the process, presented at a few conferences, will contribute to any publications, etc., but more than anything, the skills in problem solving and data analysis allow me to have a lot of confidence jumping into grad school. I would recommend gaining any sort of research experience, even if you don't plan on pursuing it in grad. I have absolutely, genuinely fallen in love with my work and I'm so grateful for the unique set of skills I have developed. 

For those who applied to the University of Alabama what was the deadline? I looked at the website and noticed they have changed the date. I am hoping that the changed took place after Feb 1 and I did not overlook it.

For those who applied to the University of Alabama what was the deadline? I looked at the website and noticed they have changed the date. I am hoping that the changed took place after Feb 1 and I did not overlook it.

I applied in November, and the deadline at the time was February 1. Did they change it?