2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Dutt0058, you are already working as a SLP? so, why are you applying for your master's? Or are you trying to do your PhD? A little confused here...

& jmarti keep your head up.. it's not over yet, remember :)

In the state of Minnesota you can work as and SLP with a Bachelor's and a temporary license if they can't find someone with a Masters. Having an older sister that is an SLP has been really helpful..she knew that I could do this..where as they never even mentioned it as an option in college. There is a catch though..you can only work with the temporary license for a certain amount of years..I believe it is 3 years. Therefore, I have been working as an SLP this school year. My caseload is 42 students ranging from birth to 21. It has been a great experience for me, but it will be frustrating if I don't get in to grad school, especially since I know I can do the job already.

I saw a couple of acceptances from St Johns on the results page today, although I didn't apply there.

I saw that too! Two friends have heard back one a few weeks ago with a rejection and the other today with a waitlist notification, but I have heard nothing! I don't know if that is good or bad :(....

Edited by hopefulslp88

In the state of Minnesota you can work as and SLP with a Bachelor's and a temporary license if they can't find someone with a Masters. Having an older sister that is an SLP has been really helpful..she knew that I could do this..where as they never even mentioned it as an option in college. There is a catch though..you can only work with the temporary license for a certain amount of years..I believe it is 3 years. Therefore, I have been working as an SLP this school year. My caseload is 42 students ranging from birth to 21. It has been a great experience for me, but it will be frustrating if I don't get in to grad school, especially since I know I can do the job already.

well, that's awesome Dutt0058! I hope you played up the experience a lot in your SoP! :) Closest I had to that was observations in 3 settings, and hundreds of hrs in a rehab. center. cool! kudos to all of us talented applicants! :)

well, that's awesome Dutt0058! I hope you played up the experience a lot in your SoP! :) Closest I had to that was observations in 3 settings, and hundreds of hrs in a rehab. center. cool! kudos to all of us talented applicants! :)

I know! I just hope that they look in to my application more than just my GRE and GPA.

And someone posted an acceptance to Iowa.  I have no email.  I mean the chances were low that I would move there...but I'm sick of waiting for answers.  My stomach feels worse and worse each day and is completely out of whack. 

I just want this to be over :(

Someone just posted an acceptance to USF...

Jmarti, I'm right there with you. Nail biting! I haven't heard anything yet.....I'm scared because I'm sure that not all people applying are using this site, so that means more people have probably gotten accepted than just those two...But hey. we won't know until we know! haha  I'm hoping for good news for us both :)

And someone posted an acceptance to Iowa.  I have no email.  I mean the chances were low that I would move there...but I'm sick of waiting for answers.  My stomach feels worse and worse each day and is completely out of whack. 

I just want this to be over :(

I think you'll be hearing from your other UW schools very soon (seems like a little over a week from now if past years' results are accurate).

Good luck and congrats on Marquette!

Badgerina- what are your thoughts on Marquette?

I noticed that you studied at Madison, so I was wondering how you perceive the other schools in Wisconsin. Do you have any specific pros and cons regarding Marquette?  Obviously it costs more than state schools, but from what I hear, I think the program is excellent... right?  

Edited by lissap08

I'm not really sure what my top choice is.  I'm visiting them all over the next month and then I'll make a decision.  I was hoping there would be a scholarship that would sweeten the deal somewhere and make the choice easier, but no such luck.  At the moment, I'm thinking MGH.

Aw, Congratulations toothbrush! That is so wonderful! I am still waiting to hear back from the University of Illinois! I hope that they send some sort of notification before I go visit there this weekend (open house)! Was the notification more general or specific to you? Trying to see if they are taking their time to send these out or they are doing it in waves! Either way so happy for you!

Jmarti, I'm right there with you. Nail biting! I haven't heard anything yet.....I'm scared because I'm sure that not all people applying are using this site, so that means more people have probably gotten accepted than just those two...But hey. we won't know until we know! haha I'm hoping for good news for us both :)

Could they be for the Suncoast program and not the residential track?

Aw, Congratulations toothbrush! That is so wonderful! I am still waiting to hear back from the University of Illinois! I hope that they send some sort of notification before I go visit there this weekend (open house)! Was the notification more general or specific to you? Trying to see if they are taking their time to send these out or they are doing it in waves! Either way so happy for you!

Thank you! Hmm, it was a blank email with the letter of acceptance attached with the name "Letter of Accpetance MA SLP mylastname.doc" (with the misspelling, haha).  Fingers crossed for you!  I wanted to go to the open house but I'll be arriving back in Illinois for spring break that day and there wasn't enough wiggle room.

True. Four people have posted admits, and I'm beginning to think I would have heard already. Hard not to think it's anything but over. :(

I applied to USF and I didn't hear anything today either... don't worry, it's not over til it's over!!!

Congratulations occamstoothbrush! I'm an undergrad at UIUC right now and can tell you the speech program is great. Feel free to message me/let me know if you have any questions about it. Same goes for anyone else. :]

Darn. Maybe only current USF students who were accepted were notified today? Or only first round acceptances?

I am a current USF student (distance program), maybe only Tampa campus students were notified? Anythings possible, but I doubt very many letters were sent out today. None of my classmates posted anything :/