2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I had a nice long cry last night, because at this point I'm feeling like grad school isn't going to happen. Even though I worked so hard for the past 4 years, it somehow doesn't seem like enough now.

My poor mother had to sit there and listen to it, and she's struggling to understand the admissions process as much as I am.

I have been really emotional these days too haha. I have been watching the Dawson's creek seasons all over and right now its been all about getting into college. It's terrible. Its nice having an older sister that is an SLP because she was waitlisted or denied when she first applied..she got in off of a waitlist. I unfortunately was not lucky enough to get in off of the waitlist I was on. She has a lot of positive input and ideas though for me which is nice. My mom has a hard time with it because she doesn't understand why I wouldn't get in.

I am home sick from work today,.... Went to the doc this morning and she gave me a prescription for a z pack, an inhaler, and told me to buy a cool mist vaporizer.... So close to $100 later, I am home resting. It doesn't help that two of my schools said they were going to start notifying acceptances today, so now I am stuck at home with nothing to do except obsessively check the website and my email. Ah-such is life.

Jmarti, I think you and I feel the same way, except I am out of field. I feel so out of my league, and I have gotten into a top program and completed a previous masters program (diff field). It is deceptively competitive, because grad schools state 3.0 minimums, but then they get so many applicants above that, I wonder if they really do take into account the rigor of our coursework with double majors, what classes we took and where, etc. A lot of professors when I did my undergrad in 2002 do not grade now like they did then- then, if you got an A, that was rare, and we are talking about UNC chapel hill. I am scared that these schools looking at my transcripts now won't realize the difficulty of earning the grades at what is basically a "public ivy" or take into account my over 132 hours of rigorous credits, and realize that my flute performance professor required us to practice over 6 hours every day outside of class and rehearsals. I basically lived in the music building and still managed to do fairly well in non-music courses. It doesn't help that UNC grad degrees don't actually give you a GPA, so I have no GPA to report from my MAT, either. I hope that isn't hurting my chances!

I'm so glad the mailman comes in the late afternoon, so on Fridays when I'm home all morning I'm not tempted to run out and check if he's come yet. 

Also, the icy sidewalk makes going for the mail a dangerous prospect.

I'm so glad the mailman comes in the late afternoon, so on Fridays when I'm home all morning I'm not tempted to run out and check if he's come yet. 

Also, the icy sidewalk makes going for the mail a dangerous prospect.

Be safe!!

I have one acceptance under my belt, but I'm expecting to hear from my top choice any day now and of course I have a snow day from work, so I don't even have that to distract me (I don't have access to personal e-mail or internet).

Also, the school I'm waiting on seems to send notifications out via e-mail AND postal service so I plan to spend my day obsessively checking my e-mail with the occasional break to trudge through the 16 inches of snow to check the mailbox. Yay! Fun is! 

Edited by aucinema

Thanks! I did find one school with spring admission that I would definitely look into. 

Since you're currently at UVA, do you know if they've started notifying? I know they've unofficially accepted a few out-of-field applicants, but I haven't seen anything else.  <_<

also, i just wanted to let you know that st. johns in new york also does spring admission! i have faith that you will get in somewhere for the fall but just in case, you can always look into that! :)

I'm so tired of obsessively checking my email. Just want this to be over soon. I am no longer following last years results, because it seems like schools are delaying their responses and not really following that timeline.

I double majored as well Jmarti! so i feel your pain lol. Took some pretty hard classes for my first major before I switched it (organic chemistry, anyone?) yupp. But, keep those hopes up. All it takes is 1 school! :)

I'm so tired of obsessively checking my email. Just want this to be over soon. I am no longer following last years results, because it seems like schools are delaying their responses and not really following that timeline.

I double majored as well Jmarti! so i feel your pain lol. Took some pretty hard classes for my first major before I switched it (organic chemistry, anyone?) yupp. But, keep those hopes up. All it takes is 1 school! :)

Oh dear, organic chemistry sounds so painful! I don't blame you at all for switching. 

Has anyone done some preliminary apartment / housing hunting?  I am a total type-A personality and while I'm waiting (and while I am home sick from work today), I'm looking at possible housing options online near the remaining schools on my list... And hounding my realtor about selling our vacant townhouse that has been on (and off) the market since 2008 .... ugh, you girls/guys just coming out of undergrad, adult life can really STINK sometimes!  

My hubby went to meet a recruiter last night for a company that may have a job in several cities near the schools on my list ... we are trying to prep so that as soon as I get an offer and accept it, he can immediately find/take a job and we can move.  I can commute to the school where I work from my parents' house, if he gets his job before the school year contract is over!  

I'm going to hate turning 29 at the end April.  Hopefully I will know where I'm going before then.  I know there are a few other "oldies" on here like me.  The last age we ever turn, right, girls!!?!!  :ph34r:

Hey all,

For those of you who applied to Northeastern decisions are up! They didn't e-mail, they just posted the decision online.

I got in :)

Best of luck to everyone

AHHHH congrats! Where did you go to check yours?! Mine isn't up yet... :/

Hey all,

For those of you who applied to Northeastern decisions are up! They didn't e-mail, they just posted the decision online.

I got in :)

Best of luck to everyone

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I see you have a few acceptances already, and it looks like you have heard from everyone now!  Any ideas where you might go?  

I think if for whatever reason I can't get in this round, I will apply to UCF for spring admission. I'm not really sure about the competitiveness of that program specifically, and I'll probably have to research the school a little bit more. If anyone knows anything about it, please let me know. 

How many apps do they get for the Spring semester? That was my plan as well. I really like Dr. Rivers and the research that is being done on TBIs in K-12 grade students.

How many apps do they get for the Spring semester? That was my plan as well. I really like Dr. Rivers and the research that is being done on TBIs in K-12 grade students.

It looks like over 100 for 35 spots. Though someone posted above that for out-of-field students, they are looking for nearly a 4.0

Edited by jmarti37

Has anyone done some preliminary apartment / housing hunting?  I am a total type-A personality and while I'm waiting (and while I am home sick from work today), I'm looking at possible housing options online near the remaining schools on my list... And hounding my realtor about selling our vacant townhouse that has been on (and off) the market since 2008 .... ugh, you girls/guys just coming out of undergrad, adult life can really STINK sometimes!  

My hubby went to meet a recruiter last night for a company that may have a job in several cities near the schools on my list ... we are trying to prep so that as soon as I get an offer and accept it, he can immediately find/take a job and we can move.  I can commute to the school where I work from my parents' house, if he gets his job before the school year contract is over!  

I'm going to hate turning 29 at the end April.  Hopefully I will know where I'm going before then.  I know there are a few other "oldies" on here like me.  The last age we ever turn, right, girls!!?!!  :ph34r:

Type A here as well. Preleminary house hunting, I don't think so. I am doing a full on attack. I have realtors in all the cities that I have applied in. My wife is so tired of looking at houses that we may never even see. Looking at realtor.com is one of the few things that takes my mind off of thegradcafe.com

Did anyone apply to Ithaca? I've seen countless acceptances and rejections on the results page over the past 2 weeks, yet I haven't received any news. I e-mailed to grad department and haven't received a response. Also my application online still just says 'Complete. Ready to Review'. This is getting a little frustrating. They aren't necessarily my top choice but it's be nice to hear one way or the other!

AHHHH congrats! Where did you go to check yours?! Mine isn't up yet... :/

I went to the apply yourself and if you scroll to the very bottom there's a link that days admission decision available and the link takes to you to the letter... I'm sure if you don't have anything up that maybe they're just posting them as they go through their pile of applications :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I see you have a few acceptances already, and it looks like you have heard from everyone now!  Any ideas where you might go?  

Thank you so much! I'm so torn about all of the Boston area schools... Everytime I got to a tour or open house that school becomes my top choice.. I guess it's just a sign that i'll be really happy wherever I end up!

Good luck all! I'm sure you'll all be getting some news soon!

Haha I turn 27 this year (ok at the end of this year), and I feel so old!  Luckily we dont' have a house yet, just an apartment.  However, moving my husband can be very stressful.  I find it best to give him specific, goal oriented tasks with the heavy stuff, then just strap him in the car while I do the rest.

Luckily we have a priority list set up, so once I get into a few I can just go to the open houses while he talks to his district manager, and then we decide.

I took organic chem as well, got a C- and was SO HAPPY lol. I was a pre-med major, then switched to Psychology in my junior year. The math & science killed my GPA.

Did anyone apply to Ithaca? I've seen countless acceptances and rejections on the results page over the past 2 weeks, yet I haven't received any news. I e-mailed to grad department and haven't received a response. Also my application online still just says 'Complete. Ready to Review'. This is getting a little frustrating. They aren't necessarily my top choice but it's be nice to hear one way or the other!

I am in the exact same situation. I haven't heard a word and my status has not changed from Complete. Ready to Review. Hopefully, we will hear soon.

I turn 30 in May ;)  I'm ok with it because I look like I'm 21 apparently, but I definitely don't feel 21!

I was at a family reunion over the weekend and someone (20 years older than me) asked me how old I turned on my birthday in February.  I said "I'm old.... 26" and she replied (completely seriously) "That is old!".   haha thaaaanks

I have been stalking craigslist rooms/shares and sublets.  Since I don't have a husband or children it's a little easier for me to just pick up and move.  I'm scared to really think about the schools I haven't heard from yet.  I probably won't hear anything from either Vandy or Auburn for at least another 1-2 weeks and even though I know that it doesn't keep me from thinking about it / checking tgc constantly.