2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Okay, the people having discussions in the results search are still driving me crazy. I have started reporting all the non-results entries as spam. However, I don't know if this is helpful to the mods or if it drives them crazy.  ???   Anyone with me?

Also, did y'all see this gem from results search? It was regarding the Univ. of Nebraska - Kearney:

"DO NOT call them with questions until you receive a letter in the mail and DO NOT address a person by their first name when they have their doctorates. I made this mistake and got this response "oh you were the one who addressed me as (first name) and not as (dr. ____) yes I said do not contact me until you have received a letter and obviously you have not received a letter yet." I might have ruined my chances here. But do I really want to go to a program where the people are THAT rude?! Yikes. What are other people's experience with staff here???"

I've been trying to mark those as spam, too, but it hasn't seemed too successful :/ 

And I think the title thing can be tricky, since some clinical faculty "only" have a Master's.  If I'm not absolutely positive about their correct title, or if there is conflicting information, I usually use "Professor" to be safe!

I am sure that the poster who addressed the professor by his/her first name is pretty upset with themselves right now. I am sure it was just a slip. I wish him/her luck with what ever schools they have remaining. I just hope they didn't make this mistake with all of their applications or emails to schools.

I was accepted to the same university and I have nothing but positive experiences with the professors and the graduate school in general.

I see you're in Trujillo?  I studied in Lima for a semester! 

For those who have heard from Adelphi... did your status on the website change? Where/what does it say? I dont even see a space for a status

I can breathe a sigh of relief, I have been accepted to Radford. Phew!!!

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but once you get your first acceptance it is fully worth all the stress that you go through. Don't EVER give up, I am convinced that everyone on this forum will get in somewhere eventually with how wonderful and dedicated everyone seems to this field. I wish good luck to everyone that is still waiting to hear good news. :)

Nice. Did you like your time here? I love it here and so does my son. My wife is from here so of course she is ready to leave.

I did!  The only downside was that as a small blonde, I bathed in sunscreen (SPF 50) daily and was treated...interestingly on the streets, which wasn't a ton of fun.  I'd love to go back and work down there, but my husband doesn't speak a word of Spanish. 

But other than that it was beautiful, I loved travelling around and taking linguistics and literature classes there.  I had the best host mom, which made the experience so much better. 

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but once you get your first acceptance it is fully worth all the stress that you go through. Don't EVER give up, I am convinced that everyone on this forum will get in somewhere eventually with how wonderful and dedicated everyone seems to this field. I wish good luck to everyone that is still waiting to hear good news. :)

Wahoo, congrats! :D 

I laughed a bit...I thought it was obvious to not use just their first names?

I call all professors "Prof. so and so", or "Dr. So and so", until they specifically tell me to do otherwise.  I thought that was common sense? 

I agree, but I expect it was an accident out of nervousness, or maybe they thought they were speaking to a staff member rather than a professor, or who knows what. Either way, big mistake... I feel bad because that person is probably kicking themselves now.

That being said, if "do not contact me until you have received a letter, and obviously you have not received a letter yet," is verbatim... that's rather rude also!

Congratulations!! What a relief  :D

Wow, Tay!  Radford!  Congratulations!!! :-)

I have decided to accept the offer for the on-campus program at East Carolina University.  The program is a perfect fit for me, and we're already pursuing jobs for my husband 110% (his family is looking, my family is looking, we are both looking, etc.).  I am very excited about this opportunity.  Once you know where you want to go, and you've done all the legwork on the financial end, it's a no-brainer!  Or, at least it was for me!   :wub:

(This means I am giving up a position with a GA plus offers to apply for a scholarship and tuition remission at Western Carolina University as well as a spot in the Distance Ed program at East Carolina as well, so I hope someone is able to reap the benefits!) 

Congratulations!!! :D I am hoping for the same wonderful news! Was this your 3rd year applying? If so, what did you do differently that helped you this time around (I'm asking b/c I'm thinking of plan B, C, and D if I don't get in this year!!! So frustrating!!!)  ^_^

This was year 2 applying, but I started the process of switching professions in 2010. I had already taken 7 prerequisite classes, and got straight A's in all of them, but because my undergrad GPA was so low, it didn't help me much. So I got into a second bachelors program online, worked as a SLP-A for a year, worked at an audiology office, and now I work at a Parkinson's Disease center that has a SLP. Basically, just get a much real world experience (work or volunteering) in the field as possible! I think that helped me a lot. It's definitely very frustrating, but it can be done! Good luck!

I actually double majored in CSD and deaf studies, so I do sign! And we get over 40 hours of observation here :). I'm just feeling a little clueless.

You can teach English to children abroad! My ex-boyfriend is teaching English in China right now, and he had the worst GPA in undergrad lol. That will really make your application stand out! Otherwise, just get as much work experience as possible thats related to the field. It's not over yet though, I'm still rooting for you!!!

Congrats Tay!!!

This may be a tad random, but I just discovered a FANTASTIC resource (and distraction!) for us poor student clinicians: https://www.facebook.com/SpeechieFreebies

It's a FB  page called "Speechie Freebies" and they post tons of links everyday for free resources (activities, games, printables) for different speech/language skills :) Looking through all of the creative activities is a great distraction from all of this admissions nonsense :P

I have decided to accept the offer for the on-campus program at East Carolina University.  The program is a perfect fit for me, and we're already pursuing jobs for my husband 110% (his family is looking, my family is looking, we are both looking, etc.).  I am very excited about this opportunity.  Once you know where you want to go, and you've done all the legwork on the financial end, it's a no-brainer!  Or, at least it was for me!   :wub:

Congratulations on getting it all figured out! That must be a big mental relief.

I am jealous, as I still have not heard a peep from any of my schools!

Congratulations on getting it all figured out! That must be a big mental relief.

I am jealous, as I still have not heard a peep from any of my schools!

It's coming! You will hear something soon. March 15th is only a few more days away, and hopefully your news will just start rolling out!

I shared this story last year when I was applying but I figured I would share it with y'all too. My father likes to tell this (totally true) story and told me it several times when I was applying to grad school, especially after I was wait listed at one of my top choice grad schools and rejected from another. 

My father did not get in to his top choice law school. He was wait listed. He did however, get into a school half way across the country. He never got off the wait list to his top choice school, so went to the school in a different state, 2 thousand miles away. While there, he worked as a dishwasher at a sorority house (making next to no money but getting 2 free meals a day which, let's face it is all a 23 year old guy needs). While there he met my mother and they still (over 30 years later) have a very happy life together. He has considered writing his top choice school a thank you note for "forever changing his life for the better." The point is, you never really know where life will take you. What seems like a roadblock (in this case a wait list or a rejection) may end up being the best thing that has ever happened to you. 

Awesome!

I shared this story last year when I was applying but I figured I would share it with y'all too. My father likes to tell this (totally true) story and told me it several times when I was applying to grad school, especially after I was wait listed at one of my top choice grad schools and rejected from another. 

My father did not get in to his top choice law school. He was wait listed. He did however, get into a school half way across the country. He never got off the wait list to his top choice school, so went to the school in a different state, 2 thousand miles away. While there, he worked as a dishwasher at a sorority house (making next to no money but getting 2 free meals a day which, let's face it is all a 23 year old guy needs). While there he met my mother and they still (over 30 years later) have a very happy life together. He has considered writing his top choice school a thank you note for "forever changing his life for the better." The point is, you never really know where life will take you. What seems like a roadblock (in this case a wait list or a rejection) may end up being the best thing that has ever happened to you. 

Aw, this really made me smile  :) So adorable!

And I agree. If it's meant to happen, it will. If it's not, there's something even better out there waiting for you.

just to add another inspiring story similar to this:

my dad struggled a bit through college (and with his mcats) and ended up not getting accepted to med school anywhere in the united states. last minute, he applied to and attended a school in another country on the other side of the world. now, almost 30 years later, he's consistently ranked as one of the best doctors in my state. he says he had unique and important experiences at his med school that he never would've had in the US.

things always end up working out in the end!