2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I asked about this in "Concentration/Research Interests" thread, but I'm hoping I can get some input here, too :) For the past 3 years, I've been VERY interested in language acquisition and literacy/preliteracy development.  I wrote my thesis on language acquisition, and have worked in several literacy & language research labs.

However, I've recently become very interested in dysphagia, particularly pediatric dysphagia, and might like to work in a NICU or hospital with these patients.  Is it too late to change my mind? I'd really like to at least get some practicum experience in swallowing, but I'm worried that it would seem sketchy if I change my interests to something I never even mentioned in my SOP. Thoughts? :)

Hi there!

I'm a first year MA-SLP student and was just reminiscing about the graying experience that is application season (take heart - it's almost over!).

It is very common for people to change specializations or areas of interest once they get into the program and are exposed to more of the many facets of an SLP's scope of practice (which is GINORMOUS). You are certainly not restricted to the foci you listed in your letter of intent (LOI).

Essentially, every program has areas in which they can provide the best resources and experience. They may use your LOI to determine if they can offer you clinical hours in your desired field. As an example, Ohio State has good opportunities in language acquisition and school-aged children (as a population), but doesn't have a lot of professors/staff that could help you out with a bilingual emphasis.

You can certainly reach out to professors at your potential programs and ask them if they know you'll be able to get some clinical hours with peds dysphagia clients. 

Hope that helps  B)

I'm sort of stressed about the probability of being accepted off of a waitlist. My only experience with waitlists was during undergrad applications, and I'm not sure how similar this is to that. I know for undergrad, the likelihood of being accepted off of a waitlist is minimal.

Wah. 

I'm sort of stressed about the probability of being accepted off of a waitlist. My only experience with waitlists was during undergrad applications, and I'm not sure how similar this is to that. I know for undergrad, the likelihood of being accepted off of a waitlist is minimal.

Wah. 

It seems like many of the SLP waitlists are active, at least gauging from the results page info.

Hi there!

I'm a first year MA-SLP student and was just reminiscing about the graying experience that is application season (take heart - it's almost over!).

It is very common for people to change specializations or areas of interest once they get into the program and are exposed to more of the many facets of an SLP's scope of practice (which is GINORMOUS). You are certainly not restricted to the foci you listed in your letter of intent (LOI).

Essentially, every program has areas in which they can provide the best resources and experience. They may use your LOI to determine if they can offer you clinical hours in your desired field. As an example, Ohio State has good opportunities in language acquisition and school-aged children (as a population), but doesn't have a lot of professors/staff that could help you out with a bilingual emphasis.

You can certainly reach out to professors at your potential programs and ask them if they know you'll be able to get some clinical hours with peds dysphagia clients. 

Hope that helps  B)

Ditto what MA SLP FTW said (hello again, I remember your from last year...seems like forever ago). You are by no means bound to your expressed intent. In fact if you want to change your mind 20 years after you get your C's and go from working in say, home health to working in EI you totally can. One of the wonders of this field. And the process WILL end. Then you have GRAD SCHOOL to look forward to haha. 

Wah. 

I think it's VERY different than undergrad.  The vast majority of us prospective SLPs seem to be the crazy, type-A people who apply to a bajillion schools, which inflates the number of applicants.  I think the waitlists will move quite a bit, especially once schools get financial aid info out!

So anxious, This is my second year applying and I really researched the schools I applied to so that maybe I stand a chance this year... I was wait listed to almost every school last year which I believe now doesn't mean a lot. I don't want to get my hopes up but has anyone been accepted with similar stats?? I'm an extremely hard worker who really doesn't want to give up and this is exactly what I want to do with my life, I just wish I could have been more book smart/more effective at taking tests in ungrad. I applied to another graduate program in another field as backup, I just don't think another year applying will help. I really want this if anyone has any encouraging advice or info!!

Applied: Case Western, Bowling Green, OU, Cleveland, Kent, Miami University, Armstrong State, Midwestern, Elmhurst, Edinboro, Eastern Michigan, Eastern Kentucky, Ball State, St. Xavier. 

Accepted: 

Wait List: OU, Miami

Rejected: Case Western 

GPA: 3.4 (only 3.3 in CSD), V: 150  Q:147  A: 4.5  (Second Year Applying Currently working at an Autism Center, if these don't work then it's time to try something else  -_- ) 

Edited by aed1989

So anxious, This is my second year applying and I really researched the schools I applied to so that maybe I stand a chance this year... I was wait listed to almost every school last year which I believe now doesn't mean a lot. I don't want to get my hopes up but has anyone been accepted with similar stats?? I'm an extremely hard worker who really doesn't want to give up and this is exactly what I want to do with my life, I just wish I could have been more book smart/more effective at taking tests in ungrad. I applied to another graduate program in another field as backup, I just don't think another year applying will help. I really want this if anyone has any encouraging advice or info!! 

You still have a lot of schools to hear from, so don't lose hope yet!

Since your comm dis GPA is a little low, you may want to retake the GRE to balance your app a bit. Also, is it possible for you to retake any comm dis classes to boost your GPA?

If SLP doesn't work out for you, have you considered pursuing special education? One of the schools in my state (Virginia Commonwealth University) will essentially pay for a master's degree in preschool special ed; many students focus on autism.

Good luck!

Edited by midnight streetlight

Thanks for the quick reply... I'm not sure about taking some of the courses over again because many schools have different courses and I wasn't sure if grad schools would allow me to replace my old grade? I know in undergrad I wasn't allowed to retake my courses... and I've taken the GRE 3 times unfortunately, I did about the same the last two times... I honestly think I've done all I can do... I don't want to do special ed at all but I did apply to family therapy programs and even had an interview at northwestern and other tops schools, I think these programs look more at your letters of rec and experience... wish speech pathology did the same, its unfortunate. 

Yeah, I should have said that I don't know how helpful it is to take classes again, and that's an expensive option. I just wonder if some programs might see it as taking initiative, but it's hard to know what schools value and what they don't.

I hope you get some acceptances and hear good news from the OU and Miami waitlists!

Applied: Case Western, Bowling Green, OU, Cleveland, Kent, Miami University, Armstrong State, Midwestern, Elmhurst, Edinboro, Eastern Michigan, Eastern Kentucky, Ball State, St. Xavier. 

Accepted: 

GPA: 3.4 (only 3.3 in CSD), V: 150  Q:147  A: 4.5  (Second Year Applying Currently working at an Autism Center, if these don't work then it's time to try something else  -_- ) 

HI,

I agree with Midnight, don't loose hope! Especially since you have so many to hear back from. I would avoid second guessing too much at this point, down that road madness lies!!!

I too have a low GPA, and got into a pretty decent program. At the same time I got wait listed on ones that were ranked "lower". Maybe a little better GRE might have helped, or applying to fewer programs with stronger apps, but have heart and wait it out. I think it's often about adcomms trying to balance out programs for those of us who may be on the cusp and your experience will certainly help.

As for what to do next should it go the other way... if you like where you work, that experience will build on itself and if this is really where you want to be, then it might be worth another year of making your apps stronger. If you are really looking for something else, you might look at an MSW. There is a HUGE need for language/disability  -aware councilors, caseworkers, organizaton-family liaisons etc. A lot of people only think Child Protective Services when they think of social workers... boohoo! I have a friend that volunteers at a camp in New Mexico that is going this route to be able to tie various therapeutic services together for children living with a variety of issues; it's a pretty fascinating path, I wish I could do her justice in talking about it.

Take care, the waiting is oh so hard, I know. 

-Chris 

Thanks for the quick reply... I'm not sure about taking some of the courses over again because many schools have different courses and I wasn't sure if grad schools would allow me to replace my old grade? I know in undergrad I wasn't allowed to retake my courses... and I've taken the GRE 3 times unfortunately, I did about the same the last two times... I honestly think I've done all I can do... I don't want to do special ed at all but I did apply to family therapy programs and even had an interview at northwestern and other tops schools, I think these programs look more at your letters of rec and experience... wish speech pathology did the same, its unfortunate. 

I'm not entirely convinced that is true, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten in the door. But it sounds like through the process you may have found a path that better suits your interests if you are getting interviews at programs you like. I'm wishing you every bit of luck!

Accepted: 

Like everyone else said, don't give up hope! I have yet to hear from Kent either, but I know many of my friends have so it freaks me out! I emailed the coordinator today in hopes of finding out where I stand. My GRE scores are not great at all and I definitely understand how you feel about retaking it. I took it twice and can't imagine that I could have possibly done better/put myself through that stress all over again. It seems like you have great experience working at an autism center, I think that will help your applications.

I'm glad to have a fellow Ohioan on here!

Thank you so much for your encouragement... congratulations on getting accepted to OU! (extremely jealous)- do you mind sharing your stats? Good luck with the rest of your schools... and I don't think Kent wait lists I think they just wait to see who accepts, at least thats from past experience... good luck! 

"I'm not entirely convinced that is true, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten in the door. But it sounds like through the process you may have found a path that better suits your interests if you are getting interviews at programs you like. I'm wishing you every bit of luck!"

I'm not sure thats fair to say that another path better suits my interests? Just because someone scores better on exams doesn't necessarily mean they are going to do better connecting with people, especially individuals with disabilities. Some people are just better at memorizing... i don't think a 3.4 is a bad gpa by any means and I don't think  my GRE scores are necessarily horrible. Unfortunately I chose this major when I was 18 and as a result I didn't know how to study yet at a higher level university... I think it would be much easier to change to a second degree now unfortunately. 

Edited by aed1989

"I'm not entirely convinced that is true, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten in the door. But it sounds like through the process you may have found a path that better suits your interests if you are getting interviews at programs you like. I'm wishing you every bit of luck!"

I'm not sure thats fair to say that another path better suits my interests? Just because someone scores better on exams doesn't necessarily mean they are going to do better connecting with people, especially individuals with disabilities. Some people are just better at memorizing... i don't think a 3.4 is a bad gpa by any means and I don't think  my GRE scores are necessarily horrible. Unfortunately I chose this major when I was 18 and as a result I didn't know how to study yet at a higher level university... I think it would be much easier to change to a second degree now unfortunately. 

Not to put words in CO's mouth, but I'm fairly sure he was positively responding to your success in landing interviews for family therapy programs at competitive schools, not saying you should give up on being an SLP.

Also, I don't think a 3.3/3.4 GPA is low per se, but I do think a GPA under 3.6 or so these days requires a strong overall application (GRE, SOP, LORs, CV) to boost an applicant's chances.

And as much as I loathed preparing for and taking the GRE (and my quant score was low), unfortunately it's a component of the application that can't be minimized since we as applicants don't know just how much it may matter in the admissions process. The GRE tests more than sheer memorization; it's also about synthesis and stamina.

Hi AED,

I am very sorry, I in NO WAY meant to either discourage you or imply that your stats were bad (which I could see how anyone could read that to mean some uglier things)!! In re-reading my quick post, it seems that you would have had to some some awesome mind reading powers to understand what I was trying to say, which was:

I don't think it's necessarily true that SLP programs place all the emphasis on GREs and GPAs. Your GPA is good; it's higher than mine, and talking to other people accepted into programs even without experience, higher than theirs. If you look on the results board you can find loads of acceptances with reported GPA/GRE well in that range. Yet I don't think they tell the whole story,  recommenders, SOPs, and CV do matter so don't sell that component short.

On the topic of path, you sounded excited about getting interviews in the competitive counseling programs and were already talking about alternatives, so I simply wanted to give some encouragement there. However, I would hate to see you pick another path that isn't what you really want just because it's a little easier or you become convinced that your (already good stats and great experience) were not enough. Were it the case that you had a 2.4 GPA and GREs in the 130's it might be time for a realistic appraisal, but you are fine! 

The best advice I can give is to always keep trying to change the world on your terms. If it's through an SLP route (and it sounds like that it is), then keep moving toward that through whatever silly obstacles come up. If SLP happens to just be one route to host and there are better ones, then don't be afraid to look at those. But only you are able to answer the questions of why you are here in this process. 

Take care!

For those on a wait list, stay positive. I just received notice that I was accepted off the wait list for the University of Nebraska Omaha. I will be declining my other acceptance from the University of Nebraska Kearney. Someone one the wait list at UNK should get in. Good luck everyone.

Now to figure out how I am supposed to study for the rest of the day.

Hi Everyone!

I applied to both CU Boulder and Northwestern, and they are two of the three programs I have yet to hear from. I see that they've been sending out decisions since the end of last week, so my hope is dwindling, however I'd still like to know one way or another. I haven't gotten anything from either of them! When do you think it would be ok to call and ask for a status update? 

Applied: CU Boulder, Northwestern, ColumbiaNew Mexico State UniversityGeorge Washington, UW-Madison (one year program for out-of-fielders)

Accepted: George Washington, New Mexico State

Waitlisted: Columbia

Rejected: 

Hi Tatial, I just got my notification from Boulder 2 days ago that I was rejected. My last name begins with A so maybe that has something to so with it? Not sure how they prioritize their list but I know there are a ton of applicants so I'm hoping good things for you. I didn't realize how competitive of a program Boulder was until I started reading this thread, so I guess I can't beat myself up too much about a rejection! I have 3 more schools to hear from and of course they are the local schools that I am dying to hear from the most...aaah!

Thank you so much for your encouragement... congratulations on getting accepted to OU! (extremely jealous)- do you mind sharing your stats? Good luck with the rest of your schools... and I don't think Kent wait lists I think they just wait to see who accepts, at least thats from past experience... good luck! 

Thank you! That is good to know about Kent, but kind of strange that they just keep everyone else hanging! My GRE Scroes are V: 148 Q: 145 & A: 4.0 and my GPA is 3.89. I am also writing an undergraduate thesis and have had a lot of leadership positions, which I think helped balance out my low GRE scores. Good luck with everything! Waiting is the worst! Keep us updated :)

Accepted: 

I share your feelings on wanting to do things differently undergrad. I wish someone told me when I was 19 to just major in something else and do a post bac program. I didn't even know what that was until I was already in a hole too deep to get out of. It just sucks to be kicking yourself knowing that you didnt try your hardest.. because when youre 19-21 some people just get distracted. I did. At 24... Its much different now. Your stats look good! (A monkey probably could have gotten my stats...esp in the eyes of SLP admissions... I'm even worse off than you!!) Your experience looks great on the app too... Ill keep everything crossed for you.

For those on a wait list, stay positive. I just received notice that I was accepted off the wait list for the University of Nebraska Omaha. I will be declining my other acceptance from the University of Nebraska Kearney. Someone one the wait list at UNK should get in. Good luck everyone.

Now to figure out how I am supposed to study for the rest of the day.

Congratulations travelnguy in getting into your top choice! :) Wish you the best!