2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Received some good news from my target school, CSU Los Angeles.. Although I'm waiting on one more school (and a waitlist), I feel relieved because this was my goal from the very beginning.. So grateful for the opportunity and I'm really quite overwhelmed! Wishing nothing but the best for everyone out there.. Just remember, our goals are within eyeshot but the paths leading there are never straight..

Congratulations! Getting good news from one of your dream programs is an amazing feeling. Here's to hoping you get to stay on cloud 9 for a while... before the rest of reality comes rising back. 

Me too! I'll be attending, since it's my undergrad program and i'm in state it's the best option for me. Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Awesome, congrats! I'm hoping to visit soon. 

Does anyone know if Temple is going to be sending out more acceptances...or is it an implied waitlist if we didn't get accepted back on Feb. 25th?
In the past, Temple has done three waves of acceptances from what I've seen on the results search. I think a second wave should be coming soon (I hope!).

Ah, good point. Very good point indeed! Have you made any decisions as to where you want to go yet?

no clue! lol. I have an interview with San Francisco State next week, I'm waitlisted at San Diego State, and I still haven't heard back from USF, UCF, and FAU! I'm hoping to stay in-state to save money, but I really want to move back to CA. It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks coming up. i hope you get some well-deserved good news soon!!

It is excruciating.  I turned 30 this year, so I understand your timeline.  I'm married and settled, and was basically waiting on grad school to start trying for a baby, so not getting in would not only be devastating scholastically for me, but emotionally as well 

I'm convinced my acceptance to UT has something to do with my 10 years of professional (out of field) experience prior to applying.  Your age translates well to experience, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thank you SpeechyKelly...great news for you and hopefully my time will come sooner than later. May I ask what your out of field exp. is in?

Accepted to University of Alabama! I have no idea how to make a decision....

You've got some great choices there...may I ask your stats? Unfortunately for me the GRE is definitely my downfall :(

You've got some great choices there...may I ask your stats? Unfortunately for me the GRE is definitely my downfall :(

Sure! I took it twice, the first I got a V 158 Q 156, with AW 4.5. The second time, V 153 Q 158, with AW 5.0. I'm out of field, and my major GPA is 3.5 with my minor in CSD around 3.9. I've been working in a research lab since fall and have a ton of campus involvement that isn't relevant to the field but lots of leadership positions. Honestly, I am very surprised I've been this fortunate. I did not expect to get in anywhere.

Rejected from New Paltz :(...I knew it was a stretch because they push their own in before other applicants.I saw on the site it said "Decision made, official decision will be mailed to you" well I couldn't wait, called and was told rejected. A school should use the same form of informing for all decisions....not email for good news and snail mail for rejections.

Applied to 5 schools

Waiting to hear from 2

Rejected by 2

Waitlisted for 1

Rejected from New Paltz :(...I knew it was a stretch because they push their own in before other applicants.I saw on the site it said "Decision made, official decision will be mailed to you" well I couldn't wait, called and was told rejected. A school should use the same form of informing for all decisions....not email for good news and snail mail for rejections.

Applied to 5 schools

Waiting to hear from 2

Rejected by 2

Waitlisted for 1

Same here! I actually did get an email rejection though. The letter was attached to the email.

It somewhat bothers me when people post on the results "rejected here but accepted to a more competitive school, why????".

Not every school is looking for the same things. I doubt any of us is every school's ideal applicant. Blah, just getting more and more irritated as time goes by.

It somewhat bothers me when people post on the results "rejected here but accepted to a more competitive school, why????".

Not every school is looking for the same things. I doubt any of us is every school's ideal applicant. Blah, just getting more and more irritated as time goes by.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that they are ridiculously stressed & sleep-deprived (like many of us!) during this application process.  These decisions don't always make sense or seem logical, and they can make us second-guess our applications-- "Did i say something wrong in the interview?" "Did I write the wrong school's name in my personal statement?!" etc.  

Knowing how subjective and competitive this whole process is, though, we really should try to stay more positive and appreciative! 

I think people probably take a rejection as a blow to their ego, which makes it hard for them to be reasonable about it - at least initially.

I'm not sure "more competitive" is always the right term, perhaps "different program", or "slightly higher ranked" may be the case. When many many schools have slots for fewer than 15% of applicants I don't think one is necessarily all that much more competitive than the next, it just depends on you being able to be one of the candidates that stands out in a particular area the committee believes will balance the program. I was accepted at a school that has a higher rank than others that waitlisted or rejected me. Keep steady jmarti37, I'm sure you will find a great fit in just the right place. 

So is Western Carolina sending rejections out? Has anyone heard anything yet since the first round?

I don't think we will be hearing anything until April 15th or later, nobody has been rejected yet from my understanding. We are all wait listed at this point.

All day today I had to listen to people actually COMPLAINING about their acceptances. I was ready to pull my hair out.

Yeah... it seems there's a level of humility that some seem to lose as soon as the first acceptance rolls in. 

Yeah... it seems there's a level of humility that some seem to lose as soon as the first acceptance rolls in. 

Definitely. I just kept repeating that it is wonderful to get acceptances, and the positives outweigh the negatives, etc. I think they just liked to hear themselves say it over and over :P.

Same here! I actually did get an email rejection though. The letter was attached to the email.

kmfa333, I wish I had gotten the email haha...i saw it change and franticly called because its so vague on the site and had to try 2 numbers because the office of advising for the graduate school wasn't answering.  Well I  still have 2 hopefuls and a maybe (waitlist) that could change down the road. This is my second time applying so it has been getting a little discourageing. Hey whats meant to be will happen...or at least thats what I keep telling myself haha. Good Luck to you! :D

Aside from what everyone else said, I think people might forget that admissions to certain professional programs are not the same as admissions to undergrad institutions (where, generally if you have certain scores and extracurriculars, you can view schools as "safety, ballpark, or reach").

All day today I had to listen to people actually COMPLAINING about their acceptances. I was ready to pull my hair out.

Why would you COMPLAIN over acceptances?? How is that a bad thing?

Why would you COMPLAIN over acceptances?? How is that a bad thing?

It's not their first choice, they wish they would have been rejected for an easier decision making process, etc.

Silly!