2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

True! It is strange. I'm not sure what their process is, but it doesn't seem very efficient!

When you applied, did you receive any type of confirmation from them? I got one email from the grad school saying my app would be forwarded for review, but nothing from the dept. itself.

When you applied, did you receive any type of confirmation from them? I got one email from the grad school saying my app would be forwarded for review, but nothing from the dept. itself.

I haven't heard anything from the dept at all. When I check the website it just says my app has been forwarded to the dept for review :/

Hello!  To anyone inquiring about St. Cloud State University.. I called the department and was told that admission decisions should be forwarded to the graduate department soon..  hopefully by tomorrow.  The graduate department will send out the letters. 

Apparently the admissions committee had a "late start" according to the administrative assistant.  She also said that there were some "complications" this year. I'm not sure what that means.  

When this summer is done, I will have completed language development, biology plus a lab (local community college for cheap), phonetics, A&P, intro to audiology, artic disorders, neural processes of language, and aural rehabilitation. I started at Longwood university online, it's basically a formality of a application and you're in for the pre-reqs. They don't offer all of those courses, so I had to look at Utah State for artic disorders, and Alaska for neural processes. They have all been online. I love the Longwood classes- there is a bit of self-motivation you have to do, but I have had some good classmates and good professors along the way. The exams are not proctored with Longwood, but they are definitely hard- I feel like I have learned SO much along the way. Compared to an in-class experience, there is some lag time on getting questions answered through blackboard, but totally worth doing since I work full time. The Alaska class is considered e-live, which means I have to show up online from 4:30 to 7 Alaska time, which is 12:30 on the east coast, but its only once a week and since I am a teacher, I opted to take this class during the summer. I only have to take two Thursdays as half days of work, and the rest is all during my time off, thank goodness.

Caution, look up tuition rates if you have a choice between multiple universities. USU and UAA do not charge out of state rates for these classes. Longwood out of state rates boils down to $1903 per course, which isn't ideal, but I really have enjoyed my courses and connected with professors who were more than happy to write my LOR's, so I feel like it was worth it for the four courses I have take there.

Taking pre-reqs at multiple universities is not the easy route, but there just aren't a lot of options to get all of the courses I needed for my target university or the others on my application list... I would have done all of my pre-reqs through ecu's program since it was my target university last year when I started looking, but I missed the deadline to get a spot last spring (march 1st), the waiting list was over 140 long just for the pre-reqs.

Thanks for this, and to everyone else who responded to my question. I have to say, after the disappointment of being rejected, the supportive community I have found on this forum has been one of my rocks over the past couple of days!

Re the pre-reqs, you confirmed my fears; that is that cost of out of state tuition is completely prohibitive for me. However, I live in NC, so have a few good places to choose from. I will be re taking statistics and physics at the local community college and will attempt to knock out the bulk of the pre-reqs over the next year.

Did you contact your schools to ensure that the credits would transfer prior to enrolling?

Thanks for this, and to everyone else who responded to my question. I have to say, after the disappointment of being rejected, the supportive community I have found on this forum has been one of my rocks over the past couple of days!

Re the pre-reqs, you confirmed my fears; that is that cost of out of state tuition is completely prohibitive for me. However, I live in NC, so have a few good places to choose from. I will be re taking statistics and physics at the local community college and will attempt to knock out the bulk of the pre-reqs over the next year.

Did you contact your schools to ensure that the credits would transfer prior to enrolling?

ECU had a course equivalency form you could fill out and send in- this was good because the morphology phonology class at Longwood does not fulfill the artic course I needed, even though the description looked similar. Good to check. A long as the cours entitle is identical you shouldn't have a problem, but you can contact the coordinator of the masters program to double check, before you spend money n the classes.

As far as funding, I did a sallie Mae private loan which you can get for non-degree course tuition, and it also has deferred repayment to the time you set. I set mine for 2016 to give me time to earn my masters and get a job before having to pay them back.. I will be paying over time between now and then, but having financial freedom to leave them alone for a few years, even with accrued interest, has been my lifesaver... The only way I could take classes and get to this point. :-)

rpatty, I will be more than happy to share my impressions of/any information from Boulder with you after the open house.

Congrats on your acceptances!

Thanks!  I really appreciate it!  I've liked everything that I have seen on their website but I just want to be as sure as I can before I commit anywhere.

wow - I had no idea about the Sallie Mae option. Thanks! It looks like, based on your stats and post bac experience, we are in similar situations. Looking forward to next year. :) Best of luck with your ECU experience, I hope its all you wish for.

Hi, Welcome!  I am in the same boat as you - I am feeling very fortunate, but having a REALLY hard time making a choice right now.  I see you're considering TU - I am considering them as well!  They are in my top choices right now for various reasons.  Congrats on your great choices!

Thank you!  Congrats on your many acceptances as well!  Tulsa is one of the schools I feel like I know the least about, unfortunately.  Both the school and SLP program were recommended to me by a friend of a friend and I like everything that I've seen on their website and the few correspondences I've had from faculty members but I'd just love to go and visit.  

I agree! I have three schools I'm waiting on, no anwers yet, so I'm really on edge!!!! 

Me too, me too. Three more to go. I'll be hoping for good news for you :).

I can't believe it's almost April. 

You're tellin' me!! Montclair's application deadline was March 1st. MARCH 1st!!! Isn't that ridiculously late? This is one of my top choices and I won't hear a peep until at least mid April. So frustrating! 

Edited by BlarneyStone87

You're tellin' me!! Montclair's application deadline was March 1st. MARCH 1st!!! Isn't that ridiculously late? This is one of my top choices and I won't hear a peep until at least mid April. So frustrating! 

I know at least one other person here who's waiting for Montclair, and it looks like many of the NJ/NY schools notify extremely late.

Not cool.

Have you visited Syracuse?

I'm waiting on Montclair as well. In addition to 7 other schools. I'm just getting very tired of waiting haha. For a while I assumed I'd hear from everywhere before the April 15th deadline to notify schools if you'll be attending, but I'm starting to think I might not hear from all 8 by then! The NY/NJ schools really seem to be notifying late this year.

A little question:

Since there have been some acceptance/waitlists sent from USF, I would really like to know my status there. I am trying to figure out all possible plans for May, when I graduate. I e-mailed them on 3/12 inquiring about the adcom's progress and I did not receive a response. Would it be tacky/inappropriate to e-mail again and inquire about my status? I don't want to annoy or irritate them, but I am genuinely confused as to why I haven't heard. 

Thanks. 

I am also frustrated by Montclair's late application deadline/notification! The deposit to Seton Hall is apparently due April 5th so I'm hesitant to put that down before hearing from Montclair and a couple others. Did you hear from them that they would notify in Mid April or is that what you're guessing based on their March 1st deadline?

A little question:

Since there have been some acceptance/waitlists sent from USF, I would really like to know my status there. I am trying to figure out all possible plans for May, when I graduate. I e-mailed them on 3/12 inquiring about the adcom's progress and I did not receive a response. Would it be tacky/inappropriate to e-mail again and inquire about my status? I don't want to annoy or irritate them, but I am genuinely confused as to why I haven't heard. 

Thanks. 

I definitely don't claim to be an expert on what to do in these types of situations, but it has been over two weeks since you heard back from them.  I think as long as you keep your email polite and professional (which I have no doubt you will) it shouldn't hurt to check back in with them again.  Just my opinion though!

I definitely don't claim to be an expert on what to do in these types of situations, but it has been over two weeks since you heard back from them.  I think as long as you keep your email polite and professional (which I have no doubt you will) it shouldn't hurt to check back in with them again.  Just my opinion though!

Thanks! Would I just e-mail and inquire about my admissions status? I'm just trying to figure out how to formulate the question. 

I am also frustrated by Montclair's late application deadline/notification! The deposit to Seton Hall is apparently due April 5th so I'm hesitant to put that down before hearing from Montclair and a couple others. Did you hear from them that they would notify in Mid April or is that what you're guessing based on their March 1st deadline?

Based on the results board from last year, Montclair's first acceptance was on April 10th. So unfortunately I don't think you'll hear back before the April 5th deadline :/

I called Montclair a week or so ago asking about when they would notify and the office told me to expect decisions around mid april. and i too am getting anxious waiting on a couple of schools especially since they are my last hopes.

I called Montclair a week or so ago asking about when they would notify and the office told me to expect decisions around mid april. and i too am getting anxious waiting on a couple of schools especially since they are my last hopes.

Thinking good thoughts for you!

I apologize if this was already answered, but what does one wear to "admitted students preview day"? It sounds like a lot of walking/moving around will be involved.

I apologize if this was already answered, but what does one wear to "admitted students preview day"? It sounds like a lot of walking/moving around will be involved.

I would say a nice pair of dress pants, a nicer shirt, and maybe flats since you'll be walking! I don't know if I would feel that jeans are appropriate. Just my two cents. :)

Thanks! Would I just e-mail and inquire about my admissions status? I'm just trying to figure out how to formulate the question. 

Wording things is definitely the hardest part.  I would maybe say something such as 'I understand what a busy time of year this is for you/your department but I have not yet received information about my admission status to USF's program and I was wondering if you could let me know what my current status is.'  I would maybe even mention (somewhere in the email) that you are still highly interested in their program and would appreciate any information they could share with you.

I'm definitely not a pro at writing these sorts of emails (so if anyone else wishes to chime in feel free!) but I hope it helped somewhat.  I would expect (and hope) that they would respond to you this time.  They were probably just very swamped with inquiries when you emailed them earlier in the month and just misplaced your email.  Best of luck!! I sincerely hope you will hear good news from them!

I would say a nice pair of dress pants, a nicer shirt, and maybe flats since you'll be walking! I don't know if I would feel that jeans are appropriate. Just my two cents. :)

That's what I was thinking! Thank you :)