2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Still nothing from Saint Cloud, which makes no sense - if the letters when out on Wednesday or Thursday, it typically takes only 24 hours to get mail from there to the Twin Cities.

I was so relieved when there was no reason to stalk the mailbox yesterday, but now it's Monday...again.

I feel like I've had a lot of Mondays on this forum.

YAAAYYYYYY!!!  :D  Go Noles!! I'm still waiting to hear back from SFSU, but I'm 75% sure I'm going to FSU. SFSU's mascot is the Gator.. how ironic is that!

That's extremely ironic haha! I'm thrilled to be attending FSU but I will always be a UF Gator for life :) it was such a hard decision to turn down my alma mater but I'm so excited to start the next chapter of my life in Tallahassee! Please keep me updated on your decision!

...and the letter was waiting when I got home.

Waitlisted - which is better than not getting in, but I am still a little bummed that there's still a few more weeks ahead before I can actually make any concrete plans for the rest of the year.

matrixgrl, April 15th is supposed to be the deadline for people to accept offers. But some schools want answers earlier and some notify way later. I wish everyone played by the April 15th rule though!!
& burns brightly, hang in there, maybe the waitlist will pull you through..

4 rejections and a far fetched waitlist. :( 2nd time applying. Debating giving up but really hating the fact that I would have spent 4 years getting a useless degree in csd. :(

Seriously! It really isn't worth much if you can't get into the freakin' program...ugh

As for me I'm dying here...the end of the week cannot come soon enough and even then all of the results may not be finalized and/or I may end up disappointed. I feel my sanity slipping away slowly. I've even started job searching again because if school doesn't work out for me I need to move anyways and I'm gonna need a better job. So yea it isn't just getting into a grad program..it is a life-altering outcome. Like someone else said, some of us need to know ASAP so we can figure out what the heck to do with our lives for the next year! **sigh**

Edited by jdslp

That's extremely ironic haha! I'm thrilled to be attending FSU but I will always be a UF Gator for life :) it was such a hard decision to turn down my alma mater but I'm so excited to start the next chapter of my life in Tallahassee! Please keep me updated on your decision!

I got into San Francisco State!!!  :o  .... freaking out. Don't know what to do!!

How much money are you all planning on taking out in loans? I'm almost positive I want to go to school this year regardless of what kind of funding offers I get, but the amount of money I'd have to take out, even with some scholarship money, is enough to make me feel sick. How are you all handling this part of the admissions process? I'm still waiting in the gray on funding possibilities, but I can't help but think the worst.

4 rejections and a far fetched waitlist. :( 2nd time applying. Debating giving up but really hating the fact that I would have spent 4 years getting a useless degree in csd. :(

Where did you apply to? Are you still waiting to hear back from some schools?

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! That is awesome. YOU are awesome!

Thank youuu!!!  :D  Now I'm left with some major decisions! In-state vs. out-of-state... although I'm from CA (born in San Fran), my Dad still lives in CA too. Man, I am so torn on this one.

How much money are you all planning on taking out in loans? I'm almost positive I want to go to school this year regardless of what kind of funding offers I get, but the amount of money I'd have to take out, even with some scholarship money, is enough to make me feel sick. How are you all handling this part of the admissions process? I'm still waiting in the gray on funding possibilities, but I can't help but think the worst.

I was looking through old threads, and I read an awesome post where someone viewed it as an entrepreneur taking out loans to start a small business.  The difference is that while many small businesses fail, we are (basically) guaranteed a stable career with decent pay (and we will only be obligated to work 40 hours/week).  I thought this was an interesting perspective, and makes the numbers seem a lot less intimidating!

I got into San Francisco State!!!  :o  .... freaking out. Don't know what to do!!

Congrats!  Me too!!! I have no idea what to do either...

Does anyone know much about the SFSU program?  I have some connections to SFSU but no one in the CD department.  I'm hoping to somehow get time off and pay for a visit but not sure if it will be possible.  

Where did you apply to? Are you still waiting to hear back from some schools?

Mercy (i even got an interview), montclair, new paltz, radford, and towson

radford waitlisted me, the others were rejections and yea applied to 5 schools and got 5 answers :(

Edited by Burns_Brightly

radford waitlisted me, the others were rejections and yea applied to 5 schools and got 5 answers :(

I'm so sorry :( You still have that waitlist at Radford though so don't lose hope yet! Do you know if it's an active waitlist?

I was looking through old threads, and I read an awesome post where someone viewed it as an entrepreneur taking out loans to start a small business.  The difference is that while many small businesses fail, we are (basically) guaranteed a stable career with decent pay (and we will only be obligated to work 40 hours/week).  I thought this was an interesting perspective, and makes the numbers seem a lot less intimidating!

I was told the same at the NYU event. I talked to current students and they weren't worried about their loans at all because they're guaranteed a job and decent pay. They also said that they never heard of any alumni having trouble with paying off their loans.

Congrats!  Me too!!! I have no idea what to do either...

Does anyone know much about the SFSU program?  I have some connections to SFSU but no one in the CD department.  I'm hoping to somehow get time off and pay for a visit but not sure if it will be possible.  

Congrats to you too! I would love to pick the brain of a current SFSU grad student, I might just e-mail the dept and ask if theres someone willing to talk to me lol. If we end up going to SFSU, you can be one of the 20 roommates I'm going to need in order to afford to pay rent!!  ;)

Does anyone have any information about when Temple will be sending out more admission decisions? It's one of my top choices so it's hard to make a final decision without hearing anything from them!!

I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you!  Unfortunately, I've been very sick for the past few weeks and I just haven't had the energy to get back on the forum.  Anyway, I'm feeling better now and I wanted to let you know much I appreciate your willingness to offer me some advice! I have not and will not have the opportunity to visit before decisions need to be made (in a week, eek!) so really anything you can tell me about the program is appreciated.  I did know that the program was small from their website, but that's not necessarily a bad thing to me.  I've never been to Tulsa before so I really know nothing about the city at all.  Again, anything you can share with me is appreciated!

Have you gotten any closer to making your decision? I just spent some time reading through all of the posts since the last time I was on, but I don't think I saw any posts from you about where you might be leaning towards going.  I know I'm pretty stressed about having to make this decision by next week.  I'm just really stuck because I see so many different pros and cons to each program.  Anyway, I hope you have been experiencing some more clarity than I have recently and that you are close to making your decision (if you haven't already!)!  Thanks again for your offer to help, it means a lot!

I am going to send you a message (it shows up in the right hand corner!)

I was accepted at Radford, but gave my spot away for another school. I don't want to get your hopes too high, but from my understanding Radford's wait list should be active as I think many of the first round acceptances declined their admission offers. Don't give up just yet!

Does anyone have any information about when Temple will be sending out more admission decisions? It's one of my top choices so it's hard to make a final decision without hearing anything from them!!
I wish I knew! I heard that they release acceptances in waves but I haven't seen any other acceptances since late February. I'm in the same boat as you. It would come down between Montclair and Temple (if I got in) for me and I haven't heard a peep. Others have received rejections so I guess it's a good sign we haven't been rejected yet. It would just be nice to know what's going on with them.