2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I would double check this with Temple, but I emailed them maybe 2 weeks ago asking if I hadn't heard from them yet should I assume I'm on the waitlist. I got a generic email back saying yes, that they sent out acceptances on Feb, 25th and everyone else is on the waitlist and that they don't expect to pull from it. It was not the nicest email. Pleasee double check about your specific status, but that's the response I got, if it helps at all.

Does anyone know what would happen if I accepted an offer and then chose not to attend? Even if it was after a deposit? I was accepted to my last choice....Wait listed at one of my top choices and still waiting to hear back from two schools. My decision has to be made by April 13th. I don't think I'll have heard back from the wait list by then. I know a lot of people have turned down the acceptances so there is a chance there. Some people don't even hear back until May for all three of these schools. I'm so torn about what to do....... 

Thanks for the advice! Glad to know it's not too big of a deal or hassle for admissions. 

Does anyone have any information about when Temple will be sending out more admission decisions? It's one of my top choices so it's hard to make a final decision without hearing anything from them!!

I heard that they might not be pulling from the waitlist - a professor told me that they are worried about the class size being too large. I officially turned down their offer, however.

Edited by deleria

I would double check this with Temple, but I emailed them maybe 2 weeks ago asking if I hadn't heard from them yet should I assume I'm on the waitlist. I got a generic email back saying yes, that they sent out acceptances on Feb, 25th and everyone else is on the waitlist and that they don't expect to pull from it. It was not the nicest email. Pleasee double check about your specific status, but that's the response I got, if it helps at all.

Thanks for the info! It would be nice if they could have just told us we were waitlisted instead of keeping us in limbo. There are a lot of things I love about Temple and a few things that make me scratch my head. 

Is there a way to search this forum?

If you are looking at grad cafe in a regular computer, as opposed to a iPad or mobile device, there is a little search box on the top right corner. If you want to search the entire SLP forum and all of the discussion threads, make sure you are on the thread listing page, the type in your search terms. If you want to just search the discussion forum you see, you can also do that. I haven't always been successful with searches, mostly because people don't always type the entire word. For example, I remembered someone was talking about a neuroscience course but I couldn't remember what university, so I put in neuroscience, and of course it didn't bring up the exact discussion I was remembering, I put in neuro and it brought up too much to sift through. So for my experience, the search function isn't the most sophisticated thing... Post if you have a specific question, because I am sure someone will come on and help you find whatever you need to know~~ this is a GREAT group of aspiring SLPs!!!!

Officially accepted my offer at The College of Saint Rose!!! I'm so excited!!

I went to Saint Rose for my undergrad in CSD, its a nice campus and area. The girls are nice too, one of my best friends is in the program already. good luck!

I'm so sorry :( You still have that waitlist at Radford though so don't lose hope yet! Do you know if it's an active waitlist?

Thanks, I called and they really didn't give me alot of information and I called the department and left a message and never got called back. I'm kinda just leaving it as a rejection because I don't think my chances are good.

I applied to a Education tri-certification masters program (it had admissions for all three semesters so not full year waiting) in the hopes that I can at least take a step in the M.S. direction hopefully it works out.

I was accepted at Radford, but gave my spot away for another school. I don't want to get your hopes too high, but from my understanding Radford's wait list should be active as I think many of the first round acceptances declined their admission offers. Don't give up just yet!

Congrats hopefulslp88! :) St. Rose is quite the darling little campus in the midst of a busy city. Housing might be a bit difficult to find around the area. I know of the University Heights building in Albany near Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sci. It is barely 10 minutes away. Perhaps, they allow for St. Rose students to rent out apts as well. Do consider posting your decision (if it is final) in the "post where you decide to go so others can contact you" thread. It might be easier to look through. Best of luck to you! :)

Here is the housing link: http://www.uhcollegesuites.com/

Edited by slpf13

Congrats hopefulslp88! :) St. Rose is quite the darling little campus in the midst of a busy city. Housing might be a bit difficult to find around the area. I know of the University Heights building in Albany near Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sci. It is barely 10 minutes away. Perhaps, they allow for St. Rose students to rent out apts as well. Do consider posting your decision (if it is final) in the "post where you decide to go so others can contact you" thread. It might be easier to look through. Best of luck to you! :)   Here is the housing link: http://www.uhcollegesuites.com/'>http://www.uhcollegesuites.com/
Haha too funny... I applied to UH housing last week, they said I will definitely be houses, probably in a 4 bedroom in the new building set to open in August!

I went to Saint Rose for my undergrad in CSD, its a nice campus and area. The girls are nice too, one of my best friends is in the program already. good luck!
Do you mind if I PM you with questions about the program??

that is funny! UH is very convenient albeit pricey, but I trust it to be in a much more safer location than any of the houses downtown. I have a lot of friends attending ACPHS and SUNY Albany, and I'm very familiar with the location.

Thank you for this info - very helpful! I emailed them a while back and never received a response. I wish they would just tell us one way or the other!

Message notifications are at the top of the screen, right side - you'll see a little envelope.

I reached out to Saint Cloud to see where I stood on their wait list.  The reply I received said that they won't tell people where they are at on the wait list, which I can understand.  Definitely still frustrating though, as they sent decisions out almost a month later than normal - if I had other acceptances in hand (I'm kicking myself for only applying to 2 schools now, the delay in notification would pretty much eliminate SCSU from the pool).  

And this year's cohort is significantly smaller than previous cohorts - they said that there were only 20 spots, when I am fairly certain there were 30 spots in the past couple years.

The only results I've seen on the boards for Saint Cloud is one other wait list - is that truly it?  Previous years, multiple people posted acceptances, etc.

Is the other person on the wait list in this forum?  I know there was someone else posting at some point that they had been invited to interview - I was wondering how that went & what response they'd received from the University.

The whole situation just seems so different from previous years and it is impossible to find out what is going on, it is really leaving me wondering what is going on over there.  Maybe I would be better just passing on the opportunity (even if it did come back that  there was space for me), completing a post-bacc online and then expanding my application net next year.

Message notifications are at the top of the screen, right side - you'll see a little envelope.

I reached out to Saint Cloud to see where I stood on their wait list.  The reply I received said that they won't tell people where they are at on the wait list, which I can understand.  Definitely still frustrating though, as they sent decisions out almost a month later than normal - if I had other acceptances in hand (I'm kicking myself for only applying to 2 schools now, the delay in notification would pretty much eliminate SCSU from the pool).  

And this year's cohort is significantly smaller than previous cohorts - they said that there were only 20 spots, when I am fairly certain there were 30 spots in the past couple years.

The only results I've seen on the boards for Saint Cloud is one other wait list - is that truly it?  Previous years, multiple people posted acceptances, etc.

Is the other person on the wait list in this forum?  I know there was someone else posting at some point that they had been invited to interview - I was wondering how that went & what response they'd received from the University.

The whole situation just seems so different from previous years and it is impossible to find out what is going on, it is really leaving me wondering what is going on over there.  Maybe I would be better just passing on the opportunity (even if it did come back that  there was space for me), completing a post-bacc online and then expanding my application net next year.

That was me! I was invited to the interview, and declined because I had gained acceptance to programs that were a better fit with what I am looking for. I am also not crazy about the St. Cloud area, so I figured why miss a day of work to pursue something that isn't going to work out. 

I can feel you on waiting an extra year. I thought about applying last minute to 3 year programs in the fall 2012 cycle, but ultimately decided to complete a cheap (8-9k total) and awesome post-bac at USU. I loved USU's program and I found it reasonable to take a full-time course load and work full-time to earn some money/experience on my "year off." In hindsight, I am so glad I did, because I don't think I would have gained acceptance to many of the programs that I received offers from. I hope you either hear good news soon, or devise a plan that will allow you more/better options in the future!!

Yay, my official acceptance letter from Montclair came today! So happy that it's really official now and it wasn't a mistake :) It was a one page letter. They said I have until April 19th to decide, sign and return the letter, and put down a $200 deposit. The letter didn't say anything about an accepted students day; I wish they were having one so I can meet some of my future classmates. Since Temple doesn't look like they're accepting anyone else, I'm 99% sure I will be attending Montclair in the fall! The one positive thing about that is it's making my decision very easy. They also said that they will accept my Utah State courses so it looks like I only need to take 2 or 3 more classes this summer to be caught up with all of the prereqs! I believe I told someone that Montclair gives out 5 grad assistantships each year, but I think I was wrong. I believe they only give 2 away and we won't find out until the summer if we got one. Either way, I will be paying in-state tuition which will be a much more affordable option for me compared to Syracuse. I will be notifying Syracuse that I'm turning down their offer so hopefully this will help someone on the waitlist. Looks like I should notify the schools where I was waitlisted to take me off the waitlist. Phew, looks like this crazy admissions process is finally drawing to a close for me!