2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Accepted at Vanderbilt! Now I have quite the decision to make. I am super excited about both the University of Washington Med SLP program and Vanderbilt's program. I have visited each website countless times, read publications of current faculty, etc., but as my top two, I don't know how I will decide (I am not complaining, I know this is a good problem to have). Of course funding, assistantships, etc. are important, and I am also thinking I should set up visits, but I am wondering if any current students or people who know current students can speak to the strengths and weaknesses of either program? Or, if anyone has any "word on the street" info about experiences/opportunities at either program? Good luck to those still waiting to hear back!!!!

Accepted: GWU, BU, Emerson, UMN-TC, UW-Med, Vanderbilt, MGH (declined), Rush (declined) 

Waitlisted: U Iowa

Rejected:

I've heard nothing but great things about both programs. I think you should visit them if possible, but I'd personally go with whichever is significantly cheaper.

Then again, I think it also depends on where you want to live once you graduate. Vanderbilt is highly esteemed throughout the South and has a great alumni network, which could be advantageous even though prestige doesn't seem to matter as much in the SLP field. (Not that UW doesn't have a good reputation or network!) And I assume (could be wrong) that the cost of living in Nashville is much less than Seattle COL.

I don't see any rejections or wait-list yet.... doesn't seem promising re: acceptance, but who knows.  I am getting so unreasonably annoyed at my friends who keep emailing me - whenever I see "downloading" on my iphone I get excited and then I see its just someone making plans for dinner or whatever.

yeah that is what is worrying me as well-- seeing a bunch of acceptances on the board and nothing else.. that makes me think they did all their acceptances in one chunk today and will be doing the waitlisting and denials later.. i mean i know it's out of my hands at this point i just would rather know either way!

Found out I was wait-listed from App State today!! A little surprised since I applied thinking UNC-CH would be my reach school and App more of a safety. Oh well, just goes to show you, you really never know!  Still waiting anxiously to hear about funding from ANYwhere.  What I would do to get an assistantship at this point... :/

yeah that is what is worrying me as well-- seeing a bunch of acceptances on the board and nothing else.. that makes me think they did all their acceptances in one chunk today and will be doing the waitlisting and denials later.. i mean i know it's out of my hands at this point i just would rather know either way!

Agreed. Everything should just be sent at the same time. 

I don't see any rejections or wait-list yet.... doesn't seem promising re: acceptance, but who knows.  I am getting so unreasonably annoyed at my friends who keep emailing me - whenever I see "downloading" on my iphone I get excited and then I see its just someone making plans for dinner or whatever.

I keep seeing SUNY New Paltz acceptances. I have this sinking feeling that they already notified people of acceptances through email yesterday. and the rest of us are just rejections and waitlists..ugh.. trying not let my hopes down as I already have an acceptance, and nothing on the website has changed for me.

I keep seeing SUNY New Paltz acceptances. I have this sinking feeling that they already notified people of acceptances through email yesterday. and the rest of us are just rejections and waitlists..ugh.. trying not let my hopes down as I already have an acceptance, and nothing on the website has changed for me.

Funny I *just* checked my New Paltz email to see if there was anything - nothing - though i didn't submit my application until very close to March 1 so I am not expecting to hear soon - they had a very late deadline for applications!

In other news, I heard from a little bird that works at Columbia law school that if you submitted your app to teacher's college by jan. 15th (which was the deadline) should hear by end of march.  Sigh.  Not very useful or detailed, but at least it's something.

Funny I *just* checked my New Paltz email to see if there was anything - nothing - though i didn't submit my application until very close to March 1 so I am not expecting to hear soon - they had a very late deadline for applications!

New Paltz did have a late deadline, but 3 people already posted acceptances on the results board- but they might not attend either.

I hope they aren't sending it all out at once. I submitted my application mid- late February...so I guess we can keep waiting.

Also, people are still posting full discussions on the results board. I really wish they didn't!

But I wish someone would tell them that there is a forum here so they wouldn't feel flabbergasted when their questions and answers disappear.

In other news, I heard from a little bird that works at Columbia law school that if you submitted your app to teacher's college by jan. 15th (which was the deadline) should hear by end of march.  Sigh.  Not very useful or detailed, but at least it's something.

Well, were you even able to submit it after Jan 15th and would they have considered it?

Found out I was wait-listed from App State today!! A little surprised since I applied thinking UNC-CH would be my reach school and App more of a safety. Oh well, just goes to show you, you really never know!  Still waiting anxiously to hear about funding from ANYwhere.  What I would do to get an assistantship at this point... :/

You were probably waitlisted because they assumed you would turn them down based on your stats (I mean, if you got into Chapel Hill and JMU...), but they didn't want to lose you as a potential student just in case you were serious about attending.

Hey everyone!    I was wondering if anyone applied to ETSU, and if so, do you know when we should find out??? I applied to 6 schools and I have already gotten two rejections. I'm still hoping for a silver lining!! 
Literally have not heard a peep. I tempted to call and see if they can give me any idea. I am giving them till Friday tho before I get too nervous!

Accepted at Vanderbilt! Now I have quite the decision to make. I am super excited about both the University of Washington Med SLP program and Vanderbilt's program. I have visited each website countless times, read publications of current faculty, etc., but as my top two, I don't know how I will decide (I am not complaining, I know this is a good problem to have). Of course funding, assistantships, etc. are important, and I am also thinking I should set up visits, but I am wondering if any current students or people who know current students can speak to the strengths and weaknesses of either program? Or, if anyone has any "word on the street" info about experiences/opportunities at either program? Good luck to those still waiting to hear back!!!!

Accepted: GWU, BU, Emerson, UMN-TC, UW-Med, Vanderbilt, MGH (declined), Rush (declined) 

Waitlisted: U Iowa

Rejected:

For what it's worth, I had the opportunity to attend UW's open house last year. I was very impressed with the campus and program (and especially the clinic), but I didn't get a very welcoming feeling AT ALL from the faculty or current students. In fact, there was a small-group question-and-answer session in which the woman "moderating" made me feel pretty stupid for a question I asked about California post-bacc students already working in the schools on waivers. I really felt no warmth from the individuals I met; it seemed to be all about appearances. I understand that their program is competitive, but let's get real - so are all the others. Space is limited EVERYWHERE. I definitely wouldn't feel like I had an academic "home" at UW, but that is also a reflection of my personal preferences.

Good luck!

You were probably waitlisted because they assumed you would turn them down based on your stats (I mean, if you got into Chapel Hill and JMU...), but they didn't want to lose you as a potential student just in case you were serious about attending.
My friend who used to work in admissions said that schools are really, really not supposed to do that...but many smaller regional schools do.

I've heard about schools doing this, too, and it seems so unfair :/ I know some great applicants who applied to "lower-ranked"/less desirable schools as their top choices because they wanted to be near family or significant others, or because they didn't want to take out loans for more "prestigious" programs.

I suppose, yea. I was hoping that by applying to a school that isn't quite as well-known that I'd have a better shot at getting funding, but I guess that isn't the case!  I know they only take a certain percentage of out-of-field applicants so that could be it as well.  Anyway! It's not over yet.

I'm most curious at this point to see if I got into McGill.... that's the only place I'd be eligible for cheaper tuition. If that happens (and I don't receive funding offers from anywhere else), I guess I'm immigrating back to Canada! It's sort of insane to believe that's really a possibility (I've lived in North Carolina since I was 10...)

My friend who used to work in admissions said that schools are really, really not supposed to do that...but many smaller regional schools do.

I've heard about schools doing this, too, and it seems so unfair :/ I know some great applicants who applied to "lower-ranked"/less desirable schools as their top choices because they wanted to be near family or significant others, or because they didn't want to take out loans for more "prestigious" programs.

I totally agree!!! I mean, for me App is 2 hours from my family and funding from there would honestly be a game-changer for me in terms of decisions.  Either way though - there could be a lot more reasons, many it's not a good fit?  Who knows.

Yeah, app doesn't do that.

They have a quota of in-field and out-of-field students (I think 22 and 12, respectively). Since they admit in the spring as well, they have limited class sizes for the Fall admits. When I read the statement you quoted from a previous poster about the school realizing that a student would probably turn them down, I personally was offended that someone would think so poorly of a school that they don't think they can "get" a candidate of high stats (etc). Especially since people reading the forums probably did apply there, whether they comment regularly or not. The school ad-comm has no way of knowing that anyone has been accepted elsewhere.

I agree. It does seem really unfair :( But there are also ways to show your interest in a school that can greatly increase your chances of acceptance. Visit, contact a professor whose research you're interested in, email the admission department just to say hi and mention that you're interested in their program for x,y,z reasons. I feel like a highly qualified applicant who does these things while applying to a regional school is very likely to make the cut.

They have a quota of in-field and out-of-field students (I think 22 and 12, respectively). Since they admit in the spring as well, they have limited class sizes for the Fall admits. When I read the statement you quoted from a previous poster about the school realizing that a student would probably turn them down, I personally was offended that someone would think so poorly of a school that they don't think they can "get" a candidate of high stats (etc). Especially since people reading the forums probably did apply there, whether they comment regularly or not. The school ad-comm has no way of knowing that anyone has been accepted elsewhere.

Wow, I didn't say that to offend anyone and apologize since I clearly did. I'm talking about yield and stats for these schools. I certainly don't think App State is a bad school or that only weak students get in there, but I do think admissions is a game, and I do think some schools might try to save face in regard to numbers.

I could very well be wrong, but I've seen some erratic decisions across the board in undergrad and grad admissions, not just in SLP programs and including more competitive schools.

I've been posting here religiously for two months and would not purposely try to denigrate any school or applicant here.

Edited because I'm not able to articulate myself the way I would like to without sounding offensive and defensive. Sigh.

Edited by midnight streetlight

For what it's worth, I had the opportunity to attend UW's open house last year. I was very impressed with the campus and program (and especially the clinic), but I didn't get a very welcoming feeling AT ALL from the faculty or current students. In fact, there was a small-group question-and-answer session in which the woman "moderating" made me feel pretty stupid for a question I asked about California post-bacc students already working in the schools on waivers. I really felt no warmth from the individuals I met; it seemed to be all about appearances. I understand that their program is competitive, but let's get real - so are all the others. Space is limited EVERYWHERE. I definitely wouldn't feel like I had an academic "home" at UW, but that is also a reflection of my personal preferences.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the input! I think I will definitely be scheduling some visits in order to get a feel for these sorts of things. It's amazing how the tone and morale of a department can have such a huge impact on day to day and overall experiences. 

I'm sorry, I truly didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment :( I realise that I'm by no means one of the strongest applicants on here, and I can see that many schools use a holistic approach to admissions.  I meant to say that I know some girls with 4.0 GPAs, near-perfect GRE scores, tons of research experience, etc. who could probably get in to Iowa or UW Madison or another top-notch school with full scholarship, but they chose to apply to smaller, less-well known schools with a clinical focus rather than a research focus.  

I know absolutely NOTHING about App State, and I'm sure it's an excellent school with high standards. I'm sure that all who were admitted there worked very hard to earn their acceptance. I think the original poster may have just been surprised about the decision and, perhaps, confused about the university's admissions criteria.

I'm sorry, I truly didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment :( I realise that I'm by no means one of the strongest applicants on here, and I can see that many schools use a holistic approach to admissions.  I meant to say that I know some girls with 4.0 GPAs, near-perfect GRE scores, tons of research experience, etc. who could probably get in to Iowa or UW Madison or another top-notch school with full scholarship, but they chose to apply to smaller, less-well known schools with a clinical focus rather than a research focus.  

I know absolutely NOTHING about App State, and I'm sure it's an excellent school with high standards. I'm sure that all who were admitted there worked very hard to earn their acceptance. I think the original poster may have just been surprised about the decision and, perhaps, confused about the university's admissions criteria.

Yes, I agree.

Bottom-line: I'm not on an adcomm, so whatever I say is obviously nothing more than speculation. But admissions can be bizarre and controversial, and I really do wonder what goes on and why. I guess the only thing I can safely take away from this entire experience is there are no guarantees.

Edited by midnight streetlight

Well, were you even able to submit it after Jan 15th and would they have considered it? Yeah that's the thing I don't think the speech pgm accepted after jan 15th but other teachers college pgms do. So who knows. I guess I could email the person listed on the next step page but I am weirdly superstitious about contacting schools.