2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Got my first rejection of the year today from University of Minnesota Duluth. And I thought I had a great chance of getting in there. 4 more to hear back from. What is everyone's suggestion on emailing a school about the waitlist?

I say go for it! You want to show continued interest. Write a nice email to the contact person expressing your continued interest, asking if there is anything else they want/need from you (updated resume, another letter of rec. etc) and how the wait list works. Most likely they won't want (or even accept) more information from you but it is good to ask. 

Accepted at Vanderbilt! Now I have quite the decision to make. I am super excited about both the University of Washington Med SLP program and Vanderbilt's program. I have visited each website countless times, read publications of current faculty, etc., but as my top two, I don't know how I will decide (I am not complaining, I know this is a good problem to have). Of course funding, assistantships, etc. are important, and I am also thinking I should set up visits, but I am wondering if any current students or people who know current students can speak to the strengths and weaknesses of either program? Or, if anyone has any "word on the street" info about experiences/opportunities at either program? Good luck to those still waiting to hear back!!!!

Accepted: GWU, BU, Emerson, UMN-TC, UW-Med, Vanderbilt, MGH (declined), Rush (declined) 

Waitlisted: U Iowa

Rejected:

I did my post bac at UW and LOVED it. I spoke a little about Seattle below but PM me if you want info about UW/Seattle. 

For what it's worth, I had the opportunity to attend UW's open house last year. I was very impressed with the campus and program (and especially the clinic), but I didn't get a very welcoming feeling AT ALL from the faculty or current students. In fact, there was a small-group question-and-answer session in which the woman "moderating" made me feel pretty stupid for a question I asked about California post-bacc students already working in the schools on waivers. I really felt no warmth from the individuals I met; it seemed to be all about appearances. I understand that their program is competitive, but let's get real - so are all the others. Space is limited EVERYWHERE. I definitely wouldn't feel like I had an academic "home" at UW, but that is also a reflection of my personal preferences.

Good luck!

On behalf of all my other UW students (I am technically a UW post bacc alum) I apologize that you were not made to feel welcome. I will say that as a fellow Californian the Seattle persona (often referred to as the "seattle chill") took some getting used to. In my experience (with my UW cohort AND professors) people are not initially warm ( I think it's the lack of sun...no pun intended). BUT within a week or so you find that people in Seattle are actually very kind. It was hard to recognize at first because I feel like a lot of people in CA are more outwardly friendly (except maybe in LA haha) and you have to work for it a little more in Seattle. But all of my professors were very kind and welcoming, as were my fellow students. I have actually found the east coast far more.....cold, and miss the relative friendliness of Seattle. I always say that in Seattle, people won't ask you if you need help finding directions when you look lost. HOWEVER, if you ASK for directions they will be given with a smile. 

Does anyone know if USC actually rejects anyone? Or is everyone wait listed? Is it ranked?

Help! :(

From what I understood in the letter and from previous questions I asked of Teresa Boyett, once the people email in that they want to be on the wait-list, the ad-comm gets those names and ranks the wait list, from which offers are subsequently sent out for any spots remaining in the program until all spots are full. This sounds like a ranking to me, and I think I remember them explaining that they assign point values to every part of the application to determine who gets in (etc). As far as rejections, I would guess that if a candidate doesn't fit the grad schools minimums, there is probably a rejection letter out there, but I don't recall at the visiting day if they said anything about candidates being rejected. I do remember them stating that all qualified candidates who don't get an offer during the first cycle are offered a chance on the wait list.

From what I understood in the letter and from previous questions I asked of Teresa Boyett, once the people email in that they want to be on the wait-list, the ad-comm gets those names and ranks the wait list, from which offers are subsequently sent out for any spots remaining in the program until all spots are full. This sounds like a ranking to me, and I think I remember them explaining that they assign point values to every part of the application to determine who gets in (etc). As far as rejections, I would guess that if a candidate doesn't fit the grad schools minimums, there is probably a rejection letter out there, but I don't recall at the visiting day if they said anything about candidates being rejected. I do remember them stating that all qualified candidates who don't get an offer during the first cycle are offered a chance on the wait list.

Ah okay. I wasn't sure if it was worth remaining on the waitlist. I assume it's kind of a 50/50 shot then.

a few other people have said that you can hold a temporary license in Minnesota and practice as an SLP, I've recently looked into this as a backup plan and I'm wondering how it works. Do you need the license before you apply to jobs and do job postings say they are willing to hire non masters people?

^ It doesn't cost anything does it? B/c unless you are 100% (more like 120%) positive you wouldn't go if you got off (and didn't get into any other schools) stay on the wait list. You never know what could happen when all the cards fall in place.

I'm 150% I WOULD go if I got in. All the more reason to stick it out, I guess. :P

I GOT ACCEPTED TO PSU! big sigh of relief...so glad I'm really going to grad school!

For all of you still waiting for your first acceptance...I hope it happens for you, too!  I talked to one of my professors today and she reiterated how wacky this process can be- there are so many qualified applicants and so few spots to fill.  Hopefully as endless March goes on we will see more acceptances and some wait-list spots open up!

I'm sorry, I truly didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment :( I realise that I'm by no means one of the strongest applicants on here, and I can see that many schools use a holistic approach to admissions.  I meant to say that I know some girls with 4.0 GPAs, near-perfect GRE scores, tons of research experience, etc. who could probably get in to Iowa or UW Madison or another top-notch school with full scholarship, but they chose to apply to smaller, less-well known schools with a clinical focus rather than a research focus.  

I totally agree and can relate to that statement.  I think there is much more to a school than their ranking.  I have been fortunate enough to be offered an assistantship at both Iowa and Eastern Illinois, and although Iowa may be ranked as a "better" school, it is going to be a very tough decision for me.  I applied to Eastern Illinois because of the quality and clinical emphasis of their program and the accessibility of their faculty.  I personally visited with several faculty members and the department chair and they couldn't have been more welcoming and caring, yet challenging in their approach to the education they promise you.  I think it is more important to find a school that is the right "fit" for you, rather than automatically attending the school of the highest ranking that you are accepted into.

Thanks! Please let me know if you hear anything. It was a random find for me- I'm being interviewed for a coaching grad assistantship there and the coach had heard March 8th. I didn't want to be the crazy girl that called the department with a made up date.

I ended up sending an email last night. They review apps next week - during their spring break. Somehow I think I already knew this and forgot about it through all the hype :rolleyes:.

It's a small town/university/program...but I can tell you that the professors that I encountered in the department during my four years of undergrad are passionate about what they do. I know the university might not be well known, or be high ranking...but I don't think that's always a good indicator of the program or the professors. And then again, not everyone has the same experience. Just givin' ya my two - albeit unsolicited - cents.

I GOT ACCEPTED TO PSU! big sigh of relief...so glad I'm really going to grad school!

For all of you still waiting for your first acceptance...I hope it happens for you, too!  I talked to one of my professors today and she reiterated how wacky this process can be- there are so many qualified applicants and so few spots to fill.  Hopefully as endless March goes on we will see more acceptances and some wait-list spots open up!

Congrats!!! Did you receive a letter in the mail or did they email you?

CONGRATS!! it feels awesome to know we will actually get to be SLPs one day:) I hope we can remember this passion and enthusiasm during our stressful days in grad school!

I totally agree and can relate to that statement.  I think there is much more to a school than their ranking.  I have been fortunate enough to be offered an assistantship at both Iowa and Eastern Illinois, and although Iowa may be ranked as a "better" school, it is going to be a very tough decision for me.  I applied to Eastern Illinois because of the quality and clinical emphasis of their program and the accessibility of their faculty.  I personally visited with several faculty members and the department chair and they couldn't have been more welcoming and caring, yet challenging in their approach to the education they promise you.  I think it is more important to find a school that is the right "fit" for you, rather than automatically attending the school of the highest ranking that you are accepted into.

That is a bittersweet decision. Congrats to you for having some great options!

I suppose it's important for you to consider if you're ever going to pursue a PhD since ranking and reputation seem to matter quite a bit for that purpose (or so I've read again and again).

a few other people have said that you can hold a temporary license in Minnesota and practice as an SLP, I've recently looked into this as a backup plan and I'm wondering how it works. Do you need the license before you apply to jobs and do job postings say they are willing to hire non masters people?

katieliz, you were rejected from ASU?! I'm sorry (and stunned).

haha apparently! :P I was confused because I made it to the interview round (85 applicants were invited, out of 320+ applicants total), but was not one of the 70-80 accepted, and i thought my interviews went really well. However, i had already ruled it out because they are doing some big changes to the program (new dept. chair) and clinicals (now required to do 3 semesters at the in-house clinic, and only one "elective") which I know i wouldn't enjoy. 

haha apparently! :P I was confused because I made it to the interview round (85 applicants were invited, out of 320+ applicants total), but was not one of the 70-80 accepted, and i thought my interviews went really well. However, i had already ruled it out because they are doing some big changes to the program (new dept. chair) and clinicals (now required to do 3 semesters at the in-house clinic, and only one "elective") which I know i wouldn't enjoy. 

Well, honestly this just strengthens my earlier hypothesis about schools, strong applicants, and yield!

Anyway, you have fantastic options and likely more to come. I was just shocked to see that in your signature.

I am currently doing this. When you look to apply for jobs most jobs will write that the prefer a masters degree. There are only a few that say its mandatory. The ability to be an SLP is limited to the schools i believe. By law the schools are suppose to hire a person with a masters degree but if they prove that they tried.. they can hire a person with a bachelors. Once you get hired the school applies for you to get your temporary license. Its best to apply starting like july. In Minnesota there are tons of jobs and i applied to 3 and got hired at 2 and had an interview at the 3rd one but I cancelled it because i accepted a position. There are tiny towns around Minnesota that cant get anyone to move to their town so my particular job I have now is for a cooperative that services a bunch of little schools. I work at 2. There are 3 other speechies at my coop and only one has her masters and she has been there forever. My boss hired 3 of us last year and really struggled finding someone. Of course the town is not the most desirable.. but for a school year or two its really not bad. I do everything that an SLP with a masters does.. All the paperwork, assesments, treatment without anyone else in the school with an slp degree to help me. At first it was scary but you catch on really fast! If you have other questions let me know!

Well, honestly this just strengthens my earlier hypothesis about schools, strong applicants, and yield!

Anyway, you have fantastic options and likely more to come. I was just shocked to see that in your signature.

Yeah, it was kinda bizarre because initially my online status said ACCEPTED, but then i got an official rejection email o.0 ASU is actually pretty competitive and is a top research school with some well-known faculty members, and I think i am pretty much in their league. Oh well, their loss ;) all we need is one acceptance, right?!