2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

omg i have no clue how we find out for uf. slp1990, do you know?

I've heard email as well! Really hope it's soon because I'm not going to have service after 5 until like midnight I'm going to be freaking out

I am actually an undergrad at eiu and although I am not a speech pathology major I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the town and school. I also know some things about the speech pathology department, but I am sure you probably know more than I do at this point. I am away on a college visit to Virginia so I may not be on the site much the next few days but I will be back by the end of the weekend.

Thank you so much! What do you like or not like about EIU? I noticed that you did not apply there, why is that?  I hope you had a great visit in Virginia! :)

I've heard email as well! Really hope it's soon because I'm not going to have service after 5 until like midnight I'm going to be freaking out

I'm obsessively checking the results page and my e-mail... i need to leave the house lol. Good luck to all of the UF applicants!!

I actually had to do this...

Generally speaking, once you get into a school you don't want to lose your spot and risk not getting into any other schools. And, it's your money so you should go to the best school that you can get into...

Congrats FSUstar!!

Though turning down a school after putting down a deposit is not ideal, I don't think you should stress over it if it happens. The school you turn down will pull from the waitlist to fill your spot, and you should go wherever you think is best.

Judging from past years' results, I don't think it's too uncommon. I know it seems rude or even unethical, but I believe schools accommodate for it.

I don't think it's really unethical unless you are intentionally trying to hurt other students/potential students etc.  It is simply a built-in flaw in the system an you can't pass up a sure thing for a wait list.

I believe they just pick someone off of the waitlist so I'm not concerned about backing out (they probably make more money by having twice the amount of deposits). But I would have mixed feelings if I was accepted through the waitlist but had put down $500 for another school that I couldn't get back, which could have gone towards books or something.

ALL the time. It's why wait-lists move through July or even later. People put deposits on one school then get off one of a wait-list and decide to take themselves off of the list for the school they had put their deposit on. This allows THAT school to admit off the wait-list and it creates a domino effect. Don't feel bad AT ALL about doing this. As much as I am VERY happy at my grad school I admit it was not my FIRST choice (it was a top choice but not #1). I was wait-listed at #1 and if I had been admitted off the wait-list (before July as by then I had an apartment and had planned my move across the country) I would have sacrificed my deposit and not felt at ALL guilty about it. Think about it this way, if you get off the list to your wait-list school and "back out" on another school you may be allowing someone else to take YOUR place. Don't worry about not giving school A your tuition money, they get a lot of that anyway. 

Thank you all for your helpful input! I think the stress of hearing back from schools is starting to get to me.. haha Thanks for allowing me to see the bigger picture. : )

As far as money goes, the thought of losing $650 from a deposit was a little scary, but it's relatively pocket change considering the total amount of money I'll be spending on tuition, fees, housing, etc. It'll especially be worth losing if I'm able to get a score a spot at my #1 school anyway!

Good luck to everyone hearing back this afternoon!

I got into UConn today! Second acceptance :). Both UConn and Adelphi are pretty pricey though... and I don't get the impression that either provide much funding.

CONGRATS!! :D It looks like you still have several schools to hear from, so it seems like you have good chances for funding somewhere!

After basically having an extended anxiety attack in February, I am calming down.  Still waiting for responses, but at least the weather is nice!  Spring and sunshine are helping get over the disappointment from not hearing back.  Welcome Warmth!

What a difference a week makes, right guys and gals? Last week this time many of us were still just waiting to hear something, anything. Now, a few of us have made decisions, many of you have tough decisions to make, and the question of funding is yet to be answered! I have to admit, I haven't seen much of jmarti in here lately so I am worried about her! I hope all you guys still waiting to hear will get much-deserved answers very soon. :-)

What a difference a week makes, right guys and gals? Last week this time many of us were still just waiting to hear something, anything. Now, a few of us have made decisions, many of you have tough decisions to make, and the question of funding is yet to be answered! I have to admit, I haven't seen much of jmarti in here lately so I am worried about her! I hope all you guys still waiting to hear will get much-deserved answers very soon. :-)

Congrats on making your decision!! It's crazy to think that exactly a month from today, we will all know where we will be spending the next 2+ years of our lives!!:) I've been missing Jmarti, too :( Hopefully she is out and about enjoying springtime!!

Congrats on making your decision!! It's crazy to think that exactly a month from today, we will all know where we will be spending the next 2+ years of our lives!!:) I've been missing Jmarti, too :( Hopefully she is out and about enjoying springtime!!

Thanks! It was fairly easy to decide- the right fit for me. It is hard to believe i was able to get in at one of the two schools tied for my top choice, considering how many applicants there are to each of these programs! Another person posted that the distance Ed program at ECU got over 250 applicants. The campus program has gotten around 300 in the past; I never heard how many applications they got this year, but I am definitely grateful to have gotten one of those spots. It feels like I won the golden ticket from the old "Charlie and the chocolate factory" film. (Picturing grandpa dancing, right?)

Thanks! It was fairly easy to decide- the right fit for me. It is hard to believe i was able to get in at one of the two schools tied for my top choice, considering how many applicants there are to each of these programs! Another person posted that the distance Ed program at ECU got over 250 applicants. The campus program has gotten around 300 in the past; I never heard how many applications they got this year, but I am definitely grateful to have gotten one of those spots. It feels like I won the golden ticket from the old "Charlie and the chocolate factory" film. (Picturing grandpa dancing, right?)

Wow, that is really impressive. Congrats again:) It feels so good to know I was accepted somewhere-- i definitely did cartwheels and backflips when i found out-- but i'm sure it will feel 10x better when I know for sure where I am going!!

Yay, jmarti's back!!! : D

I've been checking in now and then to see how everyone is doing :). I just don't feel like I can contribute much other than a congrats here and there, aside from which it is terribly depressing to have 0 acceptances while everyone is doing so well. But I'm trying!

Your time is coming jmarti!!  Get on those wait-lists and start after the POI's to sway someone your way!! I definitely see you making it into one of the schools you will love.  It's going to happen.  I am in complete admiration of your courage to keep pushing on, thinking about making your application stronger, etc., in spite of the disappointments right now.  To be totally serious, from what I see on last year's and the year before's forums, there are SO many people that got accepted in mid-April after the first cycle made their commitments.  I will def. be praying for you!!! 

Your time is coming jmarti!! Get on those wait-lists and start after the POI's to sway someone your way!! I definitely see you making it into one of the schools you will love. It's going to happen. I am in complete admiration of your courage to keep pushing on, thinking about making your application stronger, etc., in spite of the disappointments right now. To be totally serious, from what I see on last year's and the year before's forums, there are SO many people that got accepted in mid-April after the first cycle made their commitments. I will def. be praying for you!!!

Thanks! I've only been wait listed at USC and rejected everywhere else so far. I'm hoping that I'm graced with an acceptance somewhere somehow.