2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Hi everyone - I've posted this in "Decisions", but it occurred to me that this thread might be a better place for my question. Does anyone know the deadline for accepting an offer from Hunter College? I got an email from the clinic director saying that I'd been accepted (and I'm very relieved and grateful to have one acceptance!). However, he didn't specify a deadline by which accepted students should respond, only asking whether we planned on attending an orientation session. He did say that we would be getting an email from Graduate Admissions. I haven't gotten that email yet, so I called the Admissions office this morning, and was told that my acceptance wouldn't be official until I'd heard from them, and that wouldn't be for another few weeks. They weren't able to give me any info about deadlines.

Getting back to my question, I interviewed at Lehman last week and they said that they would send their decisions by the end of the first week of April. I'm happy about Hunter, but I'd like to hear from Lehman before I confirm - in the meantime, I'd like to get back to the professor who emailed me in a timely manner. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should handle this - should I just ask the professor about the deadline for acceptance?

Sorry to sound so clueless. I'm probably making this more complicated than it is, but I'd like to avoid making any missteps, like offending a professor before I've even started school! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

I'd just ask when the deadline is for Hunter very politely, and don't mention that you are waiting for other replies (but they should obviously already know that). You won't be offending the Professor in anyway, and I'm sure plenty of other people would email/call him or her. I don't think the deadline would be for a while yet, because it is really an unofficial admission via the department. So maybe, you can hear from Lehman before then. You never know.

Congratulations on getting into Hunter & GL with your other schools. *also, you should post your Hunter acceptance in the "results" page...if you want: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=speech&t=a&pp=250

Edited by slpf13

I'd just ask when the deadline is for Hunter very politely, and don't mention that you are waiting for other replies (but they should obviously already know that). You won't be offending the Professor in anyway, and I'm sure plenty of other people would email/call him or her. I don't think the deadline would be for a while yet, because it is really an unofficial admission via the department. So maybe, you can hear from Lehman before then. You never know.

Congratulations on getting into Hunter & GL with your other schools. *also, you should post your Hunter acceptance in the "results" page...if you want: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=speech&t=a&pp=250

Thanks for your reply! It helps to know not to mention waiting for other schools (although, as you pointed out, they probably realize that). :)

Same here! At this point I really don't care about national volunteer day, spring open houses, or my complimentary student access to the NY Times. Give me a decision!! =p

I KNOW!  The latest one I got had a title "Ensuring a bright future at UT".  Not exactly what an admissions email would say but kind of close enough that it gave me a mild heart attack!

Hi everyone! New to the forum but just got accepted to Syracuse University and am so excited! It's my first acceptance. Hoping and praying for more good news. I got waitlisted at the University of Maryland and James Madison so it feels good to know I'm in somewhere. Waiting to hear from Temple, Northeastern, Seton Hall, Boulder, and Montclair. Sending out good vibes to everyone else, this is such a nerve wracking process!

to be filed under first-world problems: My dad called me up to congratulate me on an acceptance, boast about how he was right that I would get in anywhere, and launch into a lecture on how programs are not really that selective, but it's an age old trick to make you think so, that way you'll gladly attend regardless of the cost.

to be filed under first-world problems: My dad called me up to congratulate me on an acceptance, boast about how he was right that I would get in anywhere, and launch into a lecture on how programs are not really that selective, but it's an age old trick to make you think so, that way you'll gladly attend regardless of the cost.

hahaha! oh gosh, gotta love those parents ;) 

Both my parents AND my husband think that.

Thank god for GC where everyone understands how competitive grad school is.

Both my parents AND my husband think that.

Thank god for GC where everyone understands how competitive grad school is.

My dad is the same way - He says that if a school wants me, they will offer to pay for my tuition.  He insists that I will get in everywhere I apply, he thinks I'm crazy for saying it's so competitive!  At least it's nice to have parents/family who are cheering us on... Even if it drives us a little crazy!!!  LOL.

I'm still not convinced that UVA has notified in field applicants. There is a poster on here who attends UVA currently for undergrad, and she has said that she and her classmates have not heard back yet. Very strange.

That is strange--and now that I think about it, if accepted in-field applicants had been notified, I'm sure there would have been a little more activity on the results board.

This might be a little random, but one of my schools somehow got hold of an old email address that I don't even use anymore and sent an application update to that email as well as my more formal current email. I wonder how schools are getting random/old email addresses. I mean I always contacted schools and put my current email address on all my applications. Just something weird...like how much are schools researching our backgrounds!

I think I read over a recent post where the poster said that a school sent an interview request to an old email address that she didn't even list. Weird huh? I don't even have access to the password of that other account anymore..lol

Edited by slpf13

Update for UF applicants, I have confirmed with one of my undergraduate professors that we will be notified this week but she did not indicate whether or not it would be via email or snail mail. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up!!

This might be a little random, but one of my schools somehow got hold of an old email address that I don't even use anymore and sent an application update to that email as well as my more formal current email. I wonder how schools are getting random/old email addresses. I mean I always contacted schools and put my current email address on all my applications. Just something weird...like how much are schools researching our backgrounds!

I think I read over a recent post where the poster said that a school sent an interview request to an old email address that she didn't even list. Weird huh? I don't even have access to the password of that other account anymore..lol

That was me! So weird they sent something to an old email address of yours too. I feel like they must have been searching us in some shape or form... right?

Edited by slpgal123

Did you guys have a previous connection in some form to that university?

Many universities have a massive databse of contact information on alumni and donors. Among other sources, it can draw from former student information, event attendee information, and information on anyone who has made a donation, including to entities like museums, radio stations, etc. that are affiliated with the campus. Many universities and nonprofits have something like this. It's kept updated by contact update information submitted by constituents, credit card/check payments, returned mail, the National Change of Address registry, and often by the purchase of data from vendors.

My guess is that they have an old record for you in their database which got linked up to your application data because certain fields matched. However, they should have a system in place to ensure that admissions emails go to the address associated with the application.

Hey!! you may be right tuckerma. I think I applied to this particular university for my undergrad, but I never went. I don't recall what email I gave them though..interesting that I forgot I applied there 4 yrs ago.. lol

But, now I think it's important to now check all my 3-4 email accounts just to make sure nothing important (like acceptance emails) go through unnoticed..making this process a little bit more unbearable and time consuming (sighhh).
Also, slpgal123, is your interview for Brooklyn still on? I hope it is!

I've never had any other contact with Brooklyn College, so I dont think that theory explains it for me! (although it'd make the most sense). Never applied for undergrad, visited, and definitely haven't donated. Plus, the email address hasn't been used since middle school, and I definitely wasn't giving information to colleges then haha.

Slpf13, yes, I still have my interview! I'll be getting up bright and early on Friday to drive to Brooklyn haha. Crossing my fingers that it goes decently!

Indeed I did, trying to make it just slightly harder for the CIA to spy on me via the interblags.

Should I introduce myself to you as Midnight if I'm able to attend open house?

I need to keep my anonymity.  :ph34r:

I should do that too, just because I've put way too much personal stuff on here now. I didn't expect to become so involved! 

But I just changed my avatar... I don't want to be too confusing.

I should do that too, just because I've put way too much personal stuff on here now. I didn't expect to become so involved! 

But I just changed my avatar... I don't want to be too confusing.

That was sort of my realization :) Most of it I don't mind really, and anyone who really tried can make a connection. But I would like to make it slightly harder for a google search to link so directly to me and the application crazies. 

I asked about this in "Concentration/Research Interests" thread, but I'm hoping I can get some input here, too :) For the past 3 years, I've been VERY interested in language acquisition and literacy/preliteracy development.  I wrote my thesis on language acquisition, and have worked in several literacy & language research labs.

However, I've recently become very interested in dysphagia, particularly pediatric dysphagia, and might like to work in a NICU or hospital with these patients.  Is it too late to change my mind? I'd really like to at least get some practicum experience in swallowing, but I'm worried that it would seem sketchy if I change my interests to something I never even mentioned in my SOP. Thoughts? :) 

Since you already have an undergrad thesis on language acquisition, maybe your master's thesis could diverge a bit.  It's not too late to change your mind until you have already gotten your thesis topic approved.  Pursuing pediatric dysphagia sounds like a nice divergence in your interests and might lead you to pursue further research if you want to eventually pursue a PhD in either language acquisition, dysphagia, or something else, maybe language acquisition methods for children with dysphagia?  Just a couple of ideas.  

Edit: apparently I have trouble typing.  ;-) 

Edited by kcald716