2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

This is probably a neurotic question, but I'll ask it anyway  :P  I e-mailed USF last week asking how far along the decisions process was, and I never heard back. However, someone else e-mailed 2 days ago and was told that decisions would be sent on 3/29. I know USF does first and second round acceptances, and I assume the first round has been sent.

Does not hearing back via e-mail mean that I am possibly in those second round of acceptances, so they cannot answer my question yet? I feel like if I was waitlisted/denied and notifications for those were being sent on 3/29, they would have no problem telling me that.

I am probably looking far too into it. 

I'm a USF student and I haven't heard a peep either, don't worry just yet :) Hopefully we'll hear something by the end of next week!

Thanks guys!!! I guess we will hear tomorrow... Eeeek! It was due 12/15, so it feels like forever!!! I did undergrad at UT Austin and would looooove to go back! It's so weird to have to be admitted to your old school again. I'll be in with news tomorrow, hopefully good! :). Hopefully you too, jmarti. I hope USC will be letting you in very soon!

Midnight, are you decided on Boulder yet or still unsure? That has to be a hard choice! Boulder's amazing though and I'm sure you'll love it if you end up there!

Thanks guys!!! I guess we will hear tomorrow... Eeeek! It was due 12/15, so it feels like forever!!! I did undergrad at UT Austin and would looooove to go back! It's so weird to have to be admitted to your old school again. I'll be in with news tomorrow, hopefully good! :). Hopefully you too, jmarti. I hope USC will be letting you in very soon!

Midnight, are you decided on Boulder yet or still unsure? That has to be a hard choice! Boulder's amazing though and I'm sure you'll love it if you end up there!

I'm definitely leaning toward Boulder. I'm attending their open house on April 5, and I'm excited to see everything in person!

However, I want to give the UVA program a closer look, too. I haven't been able to make it out there (and it's only 70 miles from my house :rolleyes: ) because of other commitments.

Anyone else not hear from Pitt yet? I thought maybe they just sent acceptances today but then I saw some rejections on the results board :/

I haven't heard anything either. It's really strange...

I'm definitely leaning toward Boulder. I'm attending their open house on April 5, and I'm excited to see everything in person!

However, I want to give the UVA program a closer look, too. I haven't been able to make it out there (and it's only 70 miles from my house :rolleyes: ) because of other commitments.

I loved UVA and their program when I visited. Good luck deciding!

Awesome!!  Good luck with your visits.  I'm sure you will be super happy either way, so you can't go wrong!

I haven't heard anything either. It's really strange...

I have yet to hear anything either and I checked my SPAM box too! This whole process is ridiculous to me at this point....the waiting is the worst possible thing!

Just to give everyone some insight....

You have to remember that the people that thumb through the applications have other duties and responsibilities.  These are department heads, professors teaching and mentoring current graduate students, they are writing research grants to get more funding for incoming students, etc.  I know that doesn't make it ANY better but that's just how it is.  Professors are also handling a heavier load due to programs not being able to hire all the faculty they want to due to budget cuts.  Would it be ideal to let everyone know early?  Sure but it's not always feasible.

I feel bad for anyone having to endure the waiting game that is graduate school acceptance.  I still don't know how I didn't pull my hair out.  Good luck to you all and congratulations to those that got into their preferred school!    

Off topic - but you gals/guys who took the neuroscience or neural processes / neurology of speech class -- one of my optional books is the Human Brain coloring book.  It's not expensive but since it is optional, I wonder if you think it's worth getting?  Only about $13 on amazon, so I might get it next time my order is over $25 (for free shipping!).  As a caveat, I'm also interested in neurogenic disorders (etc), so that's why I'm taking this optional course (not required as a pre-req) even though I will take neuroscience courses (etc) during the master's coursework... just trying to think this one through.  And yes, I'm this thorough on nearly every course book I've had to buy... just don't want to end up with the BOXES and BOXES of books I have from my music ed career that largely went unused.  

-- thanks in advance for your thoughts!! :-) 

edited: I re-read my posts and find disconnected or incongruous thoughts.  it drives me mad!! 

Edited by kcald716

When I read that the first thing that came to my mind was "this shit is bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S!" Hahah hopefully someone knows what I am talking about.. If not, disregard! :)

I did, and I agree 1000000000%  :D

Congrats girl!!! I got rejected, not too sad about it because I wasn't going to go there anyway  ;) Are you still going to FSU Preview Day?

Thank you! I'm still going, so I will see you there!

I loved UVA and their program when I visited. Good luck deciding!

Oh, wonderful!

Do you think their degree's M.Ed. designation will be an issue or limiting at all? I'm assuming not, but it seems like most programs offer M.A. or M.S.

Thank you! I'm still going, so I will see you there!

Sweeeeet!! We should get lunch or something afterwards. Congrats again on getting your dream school! See you next week :)

Oh, wonderful!

Do you think their degree's M.Ed. designation will be an issue or limiting at all? I'm assuming not, but it seems like most programs offer M.A. or M.S.

I was told by a few professors and my advisor that it did not.

Off topic - but you gals/guys who took the neuroscience or neural processes / neurology of speech class -- one of my optional books is the Human Brain coloring book.  It's not expensive but since it is optional, I wonder if you think it's worth getting?  Only about $13 on amazon, so I might get it next time my order is over $25 (for free shipping!).  As a caveat, I'm also interested in neurogenic disorders (etc), so that's why I'm taking this optional course (not required as a pre-req) even though I will take neuroscience courses (etc) during the master's coursework... just trying to think this one through.  And yes, I'm this thorough on nearly every course book I've had to buy... just don't want to end up with the BOXES and BOXES of books I have from my music ed career that largely went unused.  

-- thanks in advance for your thoughts!! :-) 

edited: I re-read my posts and find disconnected or incongruous thoughts.  it drives me mad!! 

My SLP neuroanatomy course used coloring pages as supplemental material too..and I did  find them to be a helpful study aid for a sometimes intense course (though having it once a week for 2.5 hours probably contributed). It made it more hands on/visual than just staring at words in a book and trying to associate functions with them. I guess it would depend on what type of studier you are too. Personally, I would recommend getting it if you can spare the cash - anything to help your grade is worth it in my opinion. Not saying you wouldn't get a good grade without it of course! I know there were a few times I shot myself in the foot by not buying the optional materials too though.

Edited by slpdream

Sweeeeet!! We should get lunch or something afterwards. Congrats again on getting your dream school! See you next week :)

That would be awesome! And thank you! I'm very excited, but still open minded. I've spent the past four years here at UF and I'm unsure if its time to move onto a different place.

My SLP neuroanatomy course used coloring pages as supplemental material too..and I did find them to be a helpful study aid for a sometimes intense course (though having it once a week for 2.5 hours probably contributed). It made it more hands on/visual than just staring at words in a book and trying to associate functions with them. I guess it would depend on what type of studier you are too. Personally, I would recommend getting it if you can spare the cash - anything to help your grade is worth it in my opinion. Not saying you wouldn't get a good grade without it of course! I know there were a few times I shot myself in the foot by not buying the optional materials too though.

Yeah, that was my thought about the help on the grade- if its useful, and something that will come in handy after the course is over as a valuable reference, then it might be worth it. I hate to buy one-time use books that just sit on a shelf afterwards. I have too many already!

Edited by kcald716

That would be awesome! And thank you! I'm very excited, but still open minded. I've spent the past four years here at UF and I'm unsure if its time to move onto a different place.

I'm having the same internal debate about going back to Tallahassee, I lived there for 8 years! But I had so much fun, and I still have a lot of friends there so I'm weighing the pros & cons. And waiting on the other 5 schools I haven't heard from yet! The wait continues...

Yeah, that was my thought about the help on the grade- if its useful, and something that will come in handy after the course is over as a valuable reference, then it might be worth it. I hate to buy one-time use books that just sit on a shelf afterwards. I have too many already!

Do you know anyone in the course? Perhaps you could find someone who would be willing to let you make copies of the pages you'd be using? Or maybe go halves with someone?

Or, maybe the book would come in handy in some manner with future clients?