2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Do you know anyone in the course? Perhaps you could find someone who would be willing to let you make copies of the pages you'd be using? Or maybe go halves with someone?

Or, maybe the book would come in handy in some manner with future clients?

All good thoughts... Not sure yet! I wonder if I can find coloring pages of the brain that would be similar to the content of this book... Online search ensuing. Haha, the penny pincher in me comes out... LOL! It is saved in my cart in amazon, however, in case I do decide to get it.

All good thoughts... Not sure yet! I wonder if I can find coloring pages of the brain that would be similar to the content of this book... Online search ensuing. Haha, the penny pincher in me comes out... LOL! It is saved in my cart in amazon, however, in case I do decide to get it.

Search for Frank Netter images. I've found them to be the best and most detailed anatomy illustrations. :)  

This is probably a neurotic question, but I'll ask it anyway  :P  I e-mailed USF last week asking how far along the decisions process was, and I never heard back. However, someone else e-mailed 2 days ago and was told that decisions would be sent on 3/29. I know USF does first and second round acceptances, and I assume the first round has been sent.

Does not hearing back via e-mail mean that I am possibly in those second round of acceptances, so they cannot answer my question yet? I feel like if I was waitlisted/denied and notifications for those were being sent on 3/29, they would have no problem telling me that.

I am probably looking far too into it. 

I'm a USF student and I've heard some of the adcom speak about the admissions process and they always say they have to fill all of the spots, so it isn't just first round and second round and that's it, if there's still an open spot for students they will notify more from the waitlist until they reach the maximum (which differs year to year) They told us stories from past years where for whatever reason a student who had been accepted and accepted their admission backed out because they wanted another year off or something and they pulled from the waitlist the night before orientation!

Hang in there!! Have hope :)

I'm a USF student and I've heard some of the adcom speak about the admissions process and they always say they have to fill all of the spots, so it isn't just first round and second round and that's it, if there's still an open spot for students they will notify more from the waitlist until they reach the maximum (which differs year to year) They told us stories from past years where for whatever reason a student who had been accepted and accepted their admission backed out because they wanted another year off or something and they pulled from the waitlist the night before orientation!

Hang in there!! Have hope :)

Did you apply to USF? Also, do you know where they are in admissions? I understand that they use this type of rolling admissions process, but I just can't figure out where they are in it! I know first round has gone out, but has the next?

Off topic - but you gals/guys who took the neuroscience or neural processes / neurology of speech class -- one of my optional books is the Human Brain coloring book.  It's not expensive but since it is optional, I wonder if you think it's worth getting?  Only about $13 on amazon, so I might get it next time my order is over $25 (for free shipping!).  As a caveat, I'm also interested in neurogenic disorders (etc), so that's why I'm taking this optional course (not required as a pre-req) even though I will take neuroscience courses (etc) during the master's coursework... just trying to think this one through.  And yes, I'm this thorough on nearly every course book I've had to buy... just don't want to end up with the BOXES and BOXES of books I have from my music ed career that largely went unused.  

-- thanks in advance for your thoughts!! :-) 

edited: I re-read my posts and find disconnected or incongruous thoughts.  it drives me mad!! 

I too recommend the coloring book. Not only is it a helpful hands on visual but it allows you to approach the material from yet another way (and with detail oriented classes like neuro a multi modal approach is key). More importantly (perhaps haha). Sign up for Amazon Prime. You should get at least a year as a student (and after that it is not too pricy) for close to (if not totally) free. You get FREE two day shipping on many many items no matter how much you spend. Once you get your student email account sign up! I'm sure there are other perks but I use it for the free shipping haha. 

So. I've seen postings on the results page from two schools I've applied to and I've heard nothing...I'm not predicting a good outcome but at the same time I don't know what to think. Jeez. I just want to know if I need to be making other plans until next year!

Off topic - but you gals/guys who took the neuroscience or neural processes / neurology of speech class -- one of my optional books is the Human Brain coloring book.  It's not expensive but since it is optional, I wonder if you think it's worth getting?  Only about $13 on amazon, so I might get it next time my order is over $25 (for free shipping!).  As a caveat, I'm also interested in neurogenic disorders (etc), so that's why I'm taking this optional course (not required as a pre-req) even though I will take neuroscience courses (etc) during the master's coursework... just trying to think this one through.  And yes, I'm this thorough on nearly every course book I've had to buy... just don't want to end up with the BOXES and BOXES of books I have from my music ed career that largely went unused.  

-- thanks in advance for your thoughts!! :-) 

edited: I re-read my posts and find disconnected or incongruous thoughts.  it drives me mad!! 

I got the coloring book for an A&P class and it was the best thing ever.  It is really helpful to have that kind of visual, plus I find it soothing to color :)   I second whoever said to sign up for amazon prime - free for students.  It's great.

I'm not so much anxious as I am annoyed at this point. I see people being accepted to USF almost randomly (wide range of stats, wide range of dates, etc.) while I sit here with absolutely no idea where I stand. I have emailed and have not received a reply. I'm starting to feel like I'm being kept in the dark.

Edited by jmarti37

I'm not so much anxious as I am annoyed at this point. I see people being accepted to USF almost randomly (wide range of stats, wide range of dates, etc.) while I sit here with absolutely no idea where I stand. I have emailed and have not received a reply. I'm starting to feel like I'm bring kept in the dark.

I saw that acceptance and was hoping it was you!  Darn.  Hopefully today girl!!!

I saw that acceptance and was hoping it was you! Darn. Hopefully today girl!!!

I wish it was me. I had stats much higher, so it seems they are making decisions based on a lot of things.

Thanks, I hope so too :).

I wish it was me. I had stats much higher, so it seems they are making decisions based on a lot of things.

Actually, now that you mention it, I thought it was you until I saw the stats, and I thought yours were a lot higher, so then I didn't post on here asking if it was you.  I bet that means you will be getting an acceptance before too long :)

Has anyone heard anything from Western Carolina since Thursday's email? I know a few people talked about emailing them, and relaying the response here.
I have not heard anything from them. Personally I think their admission process is stupid because from my understanding if we have not heard anything we are still in the running but will not be officially "wait listed" until April 15...after the deadline. I just don't get it. I am also just frustrated in general with the schools I am wait listed for not getting back with me. A few of the deadlines for 1st round applicants have passed and I still have not heard anything. If I have been rejected I think it would just be nice for the schools to let me know as common curtesy, as I did pay their application fee and all.

I have not heard anything from them. Personally I think their admission process is stupid because from my understanding if we have not heard anything we are still in the running but will not be officially "wait listed" until April 15...after the deadline. I just don't get it. I am also just frustrated in general with the schools I am wait listed for not getting back with me. A few of the deadlines for 1st round applicants have passed and I still have not heard anything. If I have been rejected I think it would just be nice for the schools to let me know as common curtesy, as I did pay their application fee and all.
I totally agree, I have not heard anything since Thursday's email. This happened last year when I applied and finally after April 15, I got an email saying I was rejected. So, I have kinda give up hope. I wish I knew something more.

I totally agree, I have not heard anything since Thursday's email. This happened last year when I applied and finally after April 15, I got an email saying I was rejected. So, I have kinda give up hope. I wish I knew something more.

I'm in the same boat as you. It would be very nice if they could clarify their process in regards to whether or not there were people who were actually rejected, or if all non accepted applicants are wait listed. Based on what I've read on these forums, and my experience from last year, I think we are all waitlisted. Disappointing.

I really hope you get in somewhere you like :) I will keep my fingers crossed for you jmarti! We still have more time to wait!

I really hope you get in somewhere you like :) I will keep my fingers crossed for you jmarti! We still have more time to wait!

Sorry, I'm on my phone and can't see your signature. Did you apply to USF also? If not, have you been accepted anywhere?

I certainly hope so :)

Sorry, I'm on my phone and can't see your signature. Did you apply to USF also? If not, have you been accepted anywhere?

I certainly hope so :)

Oh, no I didn't apply to USF. I did get into one school, but I am still waiting for closer options. I'm waiting for 1 or more of my top choices to (hopefully) accept me and then I will post my decision in my signature...Good luck! :)

Did you apply to USF? Also, do you know where they are in admissions? I understand that they use this type of rolling admissions process, but I just can't figure out where they are in it! I know first round has gone out, but has the next?

Yes I applied to and will be attending USF. Honestly I can't answer where they are in the admissions process because I don't know... but I know all of our professors advise us that "it is a always a long process and to do your best not to stress if you haven't heard anything." A wave of panic always goes around after the first group of letters are e-mailed out, but our professors are constantly reassuring everyone not to panic if they haven't heard anything yet! They keep reminding us that they only send out enough acceptances at a time that there are spots for and then keep sending more and more as people reply back with their decisions (which takes a while!).  For example, I was notified March 6 and my letter said I needed to notify them of my decision by April 15th! If people wait until the 15th to say "no" then my guess is they will send another round admissions around that time (again I really don't know this for a fact!) Just do your best to stay positive in the mean time :)

I just saw that Emerson's online application portal has changed their merit scholarship section to say "The Admission committee is currently making decisions regarding Fellowship awards for Communication Disorders. Students will be informed in this space as decisions are made."

Has anyone been offered one?

Hoping to hear about funding from them soon so I can make a decision about a program!

Best of luck to those of you still waiting :)

Edited by SLP2013

I just that Emerson's online application portal has changed their merit scholarship section to say "The Admission committee is currently making decisions regarding Fellowship awards for Communication Disorders. Students will be informed in this space as decisions are made."

Has anyone been offered one?

Hoping to hear about funding from them soon so I can make a decision about a program!

Best of luck to those of you still waiting :)

I emailed them about this. I just got a response back that they are deciding today and decisions should be up on the portal by tomorrow. 

I emailed them about this. I just got a response back that they are deciding today and decisions should be up on the portal by tomorrow. 

I don't know whether to be happy or sad about that! They have their admitted students' event tonight, and  I was hoping to know either way about funding beforehand. I'm doubly nervous because if Northwestern's packet makes its way to me today, it'll probably be while I'm at Emerson so I won't see it until late tonight. 

I don't know whether to be happy or sad about that! They have their admitted students' event tonight, and  I was hoping to know either way about funding beforehand. I'm doubly nervous because if Northwestern's packet makes its way to me today, it'll probably be while I'm at Emerson so I won't see it until late tonight. 

I was hoping to hear before the admitted students' event as well! Oh well...Kozo - thanks for letting us know about what they said, I was tempted to call them today but know that they're probably really busy right now!

Was anyone else waitlisted at U of Pittsburgh? 

I was wait listed as well.  I called to see if they would let me know what number I was but they said they do not give the info away, but she said they have taken from the wait list before.