2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I saw this on the results page about Syracuse and thought it was very odd:

• Can't believe I applied. Cousin went there and heard it is a terrible program and worst experience ever. Can not believe this school is rated so high. Terrible scholarship program also. Will not accept!!

Does this seem really fishy to anyone else? Why did this person apply there if they heard it was so terrible?!

Edited by BlarneyStone87

To Anyone who has heard from SUNY New Paltz, because my mom is as anxious as i am she checks this site to see if anyone has heard from my schools yet and at like midnight last night new posts for New Paltz came up and she woke me out of a dead sleep to check my email/website 

I just had to say that's adorable. 

I saw this on the results page about Syracuse and thought it was very odd:

• Can't believe I applied. Cousin went there and heard it is a terrible program and worst experience ever. Can not believe this school is rated so high. Terrible scholarship program also. Will not accept!!

Does this seem really fishy to anyone else? Why did this person apply there if they heard it was so terrible?!

I saw this, though I did not apply to Syracuse. I was just wondering why that person even bothered applying in the first place, only to get accepted and trash the school afterwards. I don't get it...

Edited by starbunnytwinkle

I saw this, though I did not apply to Syracuse. I was just wondering why that person even bothering applying in the first place, only to get accepted and trash the school afterwards. I don't get it...

Could possibly be someone who was waitlisted, and now is trashing the program in the hopes that someone else will see it and decline, thereby opening up a space.

Just a theory!

Could possibly be someone who was waitlisted, and now is trashing the program in the hopes that someone else will see it and decline, thereby opening up a space.

Just a theory!

Definitely possible.

There have been a number of strange and negative comments about various programs (across various fields) on the results board. I wish the people who left them would clarify here instead of just spewing invective over there. It's hard to take them seriously otherwise, especially from applicants who were denied.

Edited by midnight streetlight

Definitely possible.

There have been a number of strange and negative comments about various programs (across various fields) on the results board. I wish the people who left them would clarify here instead of just spewing invective over there. It's hard to take them seriously otherwise, especially from applicants who were denied.

It's very unfortunate that applicants feel the need to trash programs and schools at any point (accepted, waitlisted, rejected). I have made it my mission throughout this entire process to not say ANYTHING negative about any program. It's unnecessary, unprofessional, and none of it would be factual. 

Good luck to both of you! 

I wasn't able to make it out to Boston for the open house tonight, could you (or anyone else) share your impressions of Emerson???

I have to run out the door right now, so I'll try to give a more thorough account later. But before going to both Emerson's and MGH's open houses yesterday and today, I liked them both equally. Today, I am absolutely leaning more toward MGH.  Emerson was nice and had its strong points, but I thought MGH was so fabulous by every measure. 

To Anyone who has heard from SUNY New Paltz, because my mom is as anxious as i am she checks this site to see if anyone has heard from my schools yet and at like midnight last night new posts for New Paltz came up and she woke me out of a dead sleep to check my email/website and no dice......So I haven't heard back yet, when I called  earlier this week they said everyone would be notified by the end of March. What I'm wondering is...1. where on the website did you see the change and would they put rejected there as well? 2. do they scatter the decisions over time because this is the second round where a few people got results and posted. 3. how silly is it that they give the decision on a weekend day so those still waiting can't call to ask the above questions? lol Congrats though to those who got good responses :)

Thanks in advanced

Hi there!

I haven't seen any rejections posted as of yet for New Paltz. But I think acceptances were already sent first round, and now they will pick people from the waitlist to fill the spots that haven't been filled from the second round. I guess, since I was waitlisted yesterday, that I am from the second round? Confusing process- I do know a few who have not yet been notified, so hang on in there! I checked on my.newpaltz.edu, and the status was just posted under complete, ready for review. Maybe you can call them on Monday, I'm sure there'd  be someone in the Grad school office.

Good luck!

I'm applying to Michigan schools (all of them) and Governors State U in Illinois and have been accepted at Southern Illinois University - Carbondale! :) Waiting to hear from all of my MI schools, though. I'd like to stay in-state, but definitely am excited about SIU-C!!!!! 

I'm applying to Michigan schools (all of them) and Governors State U in Illinois and have been accepted at Southern Illinois University - Carbondale! :) Waiting to hear from all of my MI schools, though. I'd like to stay in-state, but definitely am excited about SIU-C!!!!! 

Do you mind telling me how you were notified that you were accepted at SIU-C? I still have not heard anything from them and while it would not affect my decision to go to Radford, I would still like to know where I stand with them. Thanks!

Ditto what MA SLP FTW said (hello again, I remember your from last year...seems like forever ago). You are by no means bound to your expressed intent. In fact if you want to change your mind 20 years after you get your C's and go from working in say, home health to working in EI you totally can. One of the wonders of this field. And the process WILL end. Then you have GRAD SCHOOL to look forward to haha. 

HI!! I remember you too!  :D  It does seem like forever ago. Which is incredible considering that I was refreshing my e-mail every 15 seconds for at least a month and a half at one point.

And for the folks worrying about finances: it's hard to keep things in perspective because it costs so much to go to grad school (I sure feel like it's all Monopoly money). Financial institutions still view student loan debt differently than they did even 10 years ago, but it is still the lowest interest rate on a loan you're likely to get.

Be mindful that private student loans play by totally different rules that make them a little "Wild West." More than one friend of mine has had his/her credit totally screwed by a private lender. Thankfully everyone applying to grad school in this field is very detail-oriented and tends to over-research things. I encourage all of you to put those skills to good use if you decide you need extra help. B)

Soon enough you'll be looking back on this part of your journey and wondering how you managed to survive :) But you will!

P.S. I've missed these emoticons.

Edited by MA-SLP FTW

I was just invited to interview with SFSU.  This will be an interview via internet for me since I live out of state.  It also includes a writing sample that I will submit via e-mali.

Does anyone have any advice/experiences to share?  I am feeling a little nervous because I have only done an in person interview so far, and have not had to submit a writing sample.  What kind of prompts have been given for those of you who have done this? 

Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!

Thank you so much lele and rcacemek! From my interactions with Emerson, I also got the feeling that everyone is incredibly friendly. However, I wonder if it's a big downside that Emerson as a whole doesn't have a strong health sciences focus and how much that affects the quality of the education/amount of resources. I was just notified on the portal that I got a fellowship and now I'm really torn between BU and Emerson...

Thank you so much lele and rcacemek! From my interactions with Emerson, I also got the feeling that everyone is incredibly friendly. However, I wonder if it's a big downside that Emerson as a whole doesn't have a strong health sciences focus and how much that affects the quality of the education/amount of resources. I was just notified on the portal that I got a fellowship and now I'm really torn between BU and Emerson...

Congratulations! I couldn't sleep because I've been thinking about graduate school decisions, so I came onto grad cafe. I just saw your comment and tried to log into my account, but the website is down! sigh...I think I should go back to sleep.

Congratulations! I couldn't sleep because I've been thinking about graduate school decisions, so I came onto grad cafe. I just saw your comment and tried to log into my account, but the website is down! sigh...I think I should go back to sleep.

Congrats Kozo, that's wonderful! I too was up way too late, and checked at 1:30 am, and nothing had changed. And then at 2 am, the website wasn't working for me either, and it's still not working. Hopefully that's not a bad sign?

Has anyone else out there not heard from Emerson yet? Last I heard on Thursday they were still reviewing applications. I have nothing on my portal and have to give NU a response by the 1st, but as Emerson is my top choice I'm hesitant to at this point in time. I know it's highly unlikely I've been accepted at this point since they apparently have had an open house already, but wasn't sure if anyone out there is still awaiting word.

I know they received my application pretty late due to CSDCAS so I wasn't sure if this is also possibly a cause for the delay...

I haven't heard from Emerson either ..i Just assumed it meant waitlist/rejection! I am surprised they are still reviewing applications, since they already had the open house. Oh well.

o Anyone who has heard from SUNY New Paltz, because my mom is as anxious as i am she checks this site to see if anyone has heard from my schools yet and at like midnight last night new posts for New Paltz came up and she woke me out of a dead sleep to check my email/website and no dice......So I haven't heard back yet, when I called  earlier this week they said everyone would be notified by the end of March. What I'm wondering is...1. where on the website did you see the change and would they put rejected there as well? 2. do they scatter the decisions over time because this is the second round where a few people got results and posted. 3. how silly is it that they give the decision on a weekend day so those still waiting can't call to ask the above questions? lol Congrats though to those who got good responses :)   Thanks in advanced Hi - I looked on the website after seeing notifications on the results board and in the application summary table there are rows for "application status" and "decision" It's weird because at the top it says "This web application is complete but has not yet been processed". I got an email with decision letter attached a few hours later (Friday night). Good luck!!!!!!

I just checked the portal, and I got a scholarship from Emerson :) Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Congrats on the Emerson scholarships! My portal hasn't changed for better or for worse. I'm hoping they they'll change soon and notify once they've given them out so I can make a decision! I can't believe some people haven't even found out whether they were accepted or not! If you guys don't mind me asking, are the scholarships looking like full tuition or half tuition or something smaller?

Edited by SLP2013

Congrats on the Emerson scholarships! My portal hasn't changed for better or for worse. I'm hoping they they'll change soon and notify once they've given them out so I can make a decision! I can't believe some people haven't even found out whether they were accepted or not! If you guys don't mind me asking, are the scholarships looking like full tuition or half tuition or something smaller?

i was awarded 5,000 per semester for a total of 20,000. good luck!!

So I've decided for sure to go to USF...which means I'm now on the hunt to find a roommate (or possibly two). It looks like a nice-ish 1 bed/1 bath goes for ~$650-$900, whereas a nice-ish 2 bed/2 bath (or an apt or house for rent with 3 bedrooms- some even have private pools!) goes for ~$900-$1,300. So roommates would definitely help to cut costs.  I don't know a single soul going to USF but I'll be at the open house on the 4th of April trying to meet some people. If anyone else on here needs a roommate (or knows someone who knows someone) and is interested getting to know me, just private message me :) 

Edited by AMarie

Mine hasn't changed at all yet, either, but at least I can log on again now! I agree, I really hope that they just give us a definitive "yes" or "no" soon. Limbo is driving me crazy. 

Congrats speech310, $20,000 is great! 

I'm in the same boat as Speech310. The website says that there are two scholarships for Comm Sci Disorders at Emerson. One is the Dean's Scholarship (which is a total of $20,000) and one is the Presidential Scholarship (a total of $28,000). Since some people's statuses haven't changed yet, I'll bet they're still deciding on the presidential scholarships, which I assume are more selective.

Edited by lele