Guaranteed support vs. Assistantships

kaister

I seem to be encountering a few schools that don't "promise" support for all your years of study.  Instead you apply for TA/RA assistantships each year.  These schools always say it's rare for any student to not have funding, so it's not something you should be too worried about.  I guess the prospect of not having guaranteed support is a little scary, but they are schools I am strongly considering.  I'm wondering if anyone is attending a program that has that sort of system? I mean is it possible I'll be stuck TA-ing for all my 4-5 years of study...because that would suck.  I'll dig more into it from each of the schools I'm considering, but I thought I'd just bring it up here as well.  

These schools always say it's rare for any student to not have funding, so it's not something you should be too worried about.

Just because it was rare in the past, doesn't mean it won't be common in the future with tight state budgets, Fiscal Cliff issues, etc.

I am in a similar boat in deciding between 2 schools.  One provides "guaranteed support" for 5 years via TA/RA (private school).  The other (a top-tier state school) is more year-to-year as you describe.  I'm leaning towards the guaranteed support so I can just focus on my research/studies and not have to worry about whether or not the funding will be there next year...

I'm currently in a department where, for reasons outside of their control, they are not allowed to guarantee funding for 4 years for PhD students. However, even in the current era of budget crises, they have always been able to provide 4+ years of TA/RA funding to PhD students. My suggestion would be for you to talk to both the DGS and the current students about whether these promises are honored and, if so, how frequently. If you were applying to my department, I would flat out tell you that everyone has gotten at least their four years of funding, if not more.

If you were applying to my department, I would flat out tell you that everyone has gotten at least their four years of funding, if not more.

That's good advice.  I will definitely look into asking some graduate students their opinions.  I have asked one of them, but I think having more opinions will paint a clearer picture.