Incomplete Applications??

musicStudent245

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been covered before. How do schools respond to "incomplete" applications? I checked the online status of a couple of my applications and noticed that materials never made it to the admissions office. I perhaps incorrectly went under the assumption that the department would contact me if I was missing things before they started the admissions process; however, I know for a fact these schools have started admitting/rejecting people and on my application status online it just says "incomplete application". Will they still review it if there are materials missing, or just go on to all of the other candidates?

Thanks!

It depends on the school, how far past the deadline you are and the generosity of the adcom. I would get in touch with them right away! Call tomorrow and politely say that you are very sorry, you had not realized you had not sent the materials and would they still consider you if you sent them immediately?

I emailed admissions about something like this for one of my schools. Since they get so many transcripts etc, essentially I was told there were 507 applications to be processed before mine, and my application would not be marked as complete until then. But, I emailed back and double checked and asked if I would still be considered for admission. They told me as long as the application is SUBMITTED on time, it would be considered.

Long story short... call or email admissions!

I had this happen at two schools. One said they never got a transcript but when I called the admissions office they found it and fixed it right away. The other the grad secretary retired right before applications were due which delayed the process of updating the system but they told me the application was actually complete, despite what the system said.

Agree, email/call graduate admissions. It could be that they're busy or it could be that they never received one item or another. If it's the latter you should make sure that you'd still be considered for admission because there's a chance that you wouldn't be.