BC or BU Hopefuls? Fall 2013

awright228

I don't think we have a BC or BU for Fall 2013 thread yet. Anyone waiting on decisions or anyone heard? Anyone visit and want to share thoughts on the programs?

I am waiting decisions from both. I loved BC when I visited, but it's very $$$$!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

I applied to BU for the 2 year clinical program and am eagerly waiting to hear back from them. I'm currently an undergrad at BU and it's an absolutely great place to be! It's one of my top choices. I went to an open house/info session in December, which was really helpful. There were presentations by professors, current students, and financial aid.

Any idea on what you're specifically interested in studying? Or ideas for field placements?

Great idea to start this thread! I applied to BU for the concurrent MSW/MPH program (clinical track for MSW and health and behavior for MPH) and I'm so nervous and excited to hear back. I finished my app for the priority deadline and received an email saying that I would hear back on or before March 1st...only three weeks away but might as well be a lifetime ha!

The only thing I'm a little worried about if I get in is the amount of $$ it will cost. I spoke to someone in the fin aid office a few months back who mentioned graduate assistantships covering a lot of the cost of attendance (I may have heard incorrectly though) but she said that the time commitment makes it very difficult for students to balance their coursework/field placements/life- belvamarie did you get that impression from the info session you attended?

Hello!

I applied to BU for the 2 year clinical program and am eagerly waiting to hear back from them. I'm currently an undergrad at BU and it's an absolutely great place to be! It's one of my top choices. I went to an open house/info session in December, which was really helpful. There were presentations by professors, current students, and financial aid.

Any idea on what you're specifically interested in studying? Or ideas for field placements?

Hi Belvamarie,

I applied to 2 year clinical as well. I used to live in MA so I am familiar with the campus and I went ot visit this fall. I will finish up my J.D. (Juris Doctor) in May. I have been working at a clinic with children and families in Custody Cases and Guardianship reviews. I work with social workers and graduate students in MSW programs in my clinic program and I really like it, so I decided to go back and get my MSW so I can do multidisciplinary work with children and families. So I guess that's my specific interest.

What about you? What is your major right now?

Great idea to start this thread! I applied to BU for the concurrent MSW/MPH program (clinical track for MSW and health and behavior for MPH) and I'm so nervous and excited to hear back. I finished my app for the priority deadline and received an email saying that I would hear back on or before March 1st...only three weeks away but might as well be a lifetime ha!

The only thing I'm a little worried about if I get in is the amount of $$ it will cost. I spoke to someone in the fin aid office a few months back who mentioned graduate assistantships covering a lot of the cost of attendance (I may have heard incorrectly though) but she said that the time commitment makes it very difficult for students to balance their coursework/field placements/life- belvamarie did you get that impression from the info session you attended?

Hey yeah, I am also worried about the cost, but I figured I would try to search for graduate assistantships either within the SW department or outside of it, if I got in; and other outside scholarships and see what I could afford. I really would love to be able to go there, but cost is certaintly something you really can't change...so the most you can do is try I suppose!

I also applied priority, but yeah, 3 weeks feels like a lifetime : /

Is BU high on your list for schools? 

Crazy timing since I must have posted my reply on this thread five minutes prior BUT I just received a voicemail from the associate dean of BU's SSW!!! He said he had very good news and I should call him on Monday!!! :) I can't believe I missed the call but so excited and I'm hoping that on Monday he's not like, "great news!...we received your application materials!" haha!

I hope you guys hear back soon too! So surprised and unexpected on a Saturday though I wonder if due to the storm the admissions staff must have brought some work home with them??

Hey yeah, I am also worried about the cost, but I figured I would try to search for graduate assistantships either within the SW department or outside of it, if I got in; and other outside scholarships and see what I could afford. I really would love to be able to go there, but cost is certaintly something you really can't change...so the most you can do is try I suppose!

I also applied priority, but yeah, 3 weeks feels like a lifetime : /

Is BU high on your list for schools? 

I'm thinking the same- even if an assistantship would probably make school/life balance difficult I think it would be worth it and I'd probably thank myself years after when I'm paying off the rest of the loans. BU is pretty high on my list because they have a really good combined MSW/MPH program.

Crazy timing since I must have posted my reply on this thread five minutes prior BUT I just received a voicemail from the associate dean of BU's SSW!!! He said he had very good news and I should call him on Monday!!! :) I can't believe I missed the call but so excited and I'm hoping that on Monday he's not like, "great news!...we received your application materials!" haha!

I hope you guys hear back soon too! So surprised and unexpected on a Saturday though I wonder if due to the storm the admissions staff must have brought some work home with them??

I'm thinking the same- even if an assistantship would probably make school/life balance difficult I think it would be worth it and I'd probably thank myself years after when I'm paying off the rest of the loans. BU is pretty high on my list because they have a really good combined MSW/MPH program.

OMG SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! :)  The wait is killing me -- wish me luck!

Post what you hear when you get the good news!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to let us know when you talk to the Assistant Dean on Monday!!! That's so great!

Concerning the time commitment - that's definitely the impression I got from the info session. Some people were talking about wanting to work full-time as well as go to school full-time and the admission staff just kind of looked at them oddly. I think some type of assistantship, if not too much of a responsibility or hours, would be fine. I'd like to hold a work study position while taking classes. I used to work for one of the professors there and she said that at least with research work study positions the hours are usually between 10 and 15 hours. Hopefully the financial aid will help cover most things!

Hi Belvamarie,

I applied to 2 year clinical as well. I used to live in MA so I am familiar with the campus and I went ot visit this fall. I will finish up my J.D. (Juris Doctor) in May. I have been working at a clinic with children and families in Custody Cases and Guardianship reviews. I work with social workers and graduate students in MSW programs in my clinic program and I really like it, so I decided to go back and get my MSW so I can do multidisciplinary work with children and families. So I guess that's my specific interest.

What about you? What is your major right now?

That sounds awesome! I think that's a really great way to combine your J.D. and MSW. Wow!

I'm interested in medical social work. Specifically, I'm interested in maternal and child care. If I were to get into BU I'd probably end up applying for the dual MPH/MSW in the first year. I'd love to work in a hospital, maybe a pediatrics unit or a women's health/prenatal care unit. I guess we'll see!

Best of luck!

That sounds awesome! I think that's a really great way to combine your J.D. and MSW. Wow!

I'm interested in medical social work. Specifically, I'm interested in maternal and child care. If I were to get into BU I'd probably end up applying for the dual MPH/MSW in the first year. I'd love to work in a hospital, maybe a pediatrics unit or a women's health/prenatal care unit. I guess we'll see!

Best of luck!

That sounds awesome. Def. keep us posted on when you hear back. GOOD LUCK!!

I got the same voice message. I lasted almost an entire day before I started searching the interwebs for other people who got a call. I missed it too -- my phone didn't even register a missed call. Strangeness. 

"Great news.... you spelled your name correctly, and since I am leaving this message, clearly got your phone number correctly inputted as well!" 

I got the same voice message. I lasted almost an entire day before I started searching the interwebs for other people who got a call. I missed it too -- my phone didn't even register a missed call. Strangeness. 

"Great news.... you spelled your name correctly, and since I am leaving this message, clearly got your phone number correctly inputted as well!" 

Keep up posted on what you guys hear! Congrats!!!!!!

I got that same phone call from the associate dean of Boston University, and I actually picked up lol. I got accepted! Getting my packet later this week. I think it's safe to say that you all who got the phone call got accepted as well. :)

Edited by kmed

I applied to BU's online clinical MSW program.  I got everything in by mid January but because I don't graduate until May 11th from my current program, I was told I cannot be considered for Fall until the summer!  I told them I mixed in-seat and online programs and expect to have decisions long before that, but they didn't budge.  Good luck to everyone applying to BU.

I got in!

I submitted my application for the two-year Charles River Campus MSW on January 15th (the priority deadline). They apparently are not considering any applications submitted after that date until March 1st.  

Did you just get it in on that date?  Or beforehand?

I got in as well! Woohoo! I submitted my application right at the deadline for scholarships and early decisions (Jan. 15) and my online application was considered complete on 2/2.

I got that same phone call from the associate dean of Boston University, and I actually picked up lol. I got accepted! Getting my packet later this week. I think it's safe to say that you all who got the phone call got accepted as well. :)

AHHHHHHHHH!!! Now, I really want a phone call! Nervously awaiting...at least an e-mail. ha ha...congrats to everyone who is accepted let us know if you are attending =) and gluck to my fellow applicants who are waiting!

I got in as well! Woohoo! I submitted my application right at the deadline for scholarships and early decisions (Jan. 15) and my online application was considered complete on 2/2.

Ah damn!! Now I'm really nervous beacuse that's my timeline as well.

I'm in the same position. I submitted before the deadline, but apparently it wasn't processed until just a few days ago. I guess that means we're not technically in the priority deadline pool, huh? Lesson learned for the next time, I suppose ;)

I'm in the same position. I submitted before the deadline, but apparently it wasn't processed until just a few days ago. I guess that means we're not technically in the priority deadline pool, huh? Lesson learned for the next time, I suppose ;)

I think we are?  What did you email from them say?

I def. had all my things in way before 1/15 and I got an e-mail I was in the priority category but my application complete date keeps changing one time it said 1/18, one time it said 2/2 and most recently it says 2/7....I don't know why that is happening....