U Penn 2013

lydialiu

Seems no thread for Penn yet this year....So let me open one. 

I'm currently on a waiting list for funding, which is driving me crazy. I think I had a crush on Penn in my senior year when visiting it for the first time, so I'm really glad to get the admission but will be desperate without funding. 

Penn is really nice to cover the travelling cost for visiting weekend, but I still can't go since I am 12 time zones away and visa can be a problem....It's making me more nervous. 

Anyway, is there anyone who is in or familiar with Penn? Is there really any student in the program without funding? Or is there any other way to cover the cost? 

I guess the way for me to get off the waiting list is someone declining his/her offer....So please leave a note when you decide!

Ah, please feel free to talk about any other topics related to Penn.

Edited by lydialiu

Thank you Joss10 for letting us know! This gives us more hope and confidence right now...

To Riseofthephoenix, I also find it strange...especially on the department website, they claim that all students receive a 5-year funding package. Besides, I have received an email from the committee chair describing how the package "would look like when it becomes available". Which sounds promising. Anyway, I guess I can just wait at the moment. I wish we both get good luck, bertiek! 

I'm also on the waitlist for funding... So does that mean we'd also be responsible for tuition?

Hey guys, this thread got linked to on the poli sci thread, thought I'd chip in. I'm admitted in poli sci but without funding. my take is that you cannot pay for your own tuition. The email I got said " Unfortunately, we cannot at this time offer you a full five year funding package which the University of Pennsylvania requires of each matriculating student." This indicates that if they can't find the funding then I'm not really in. Another way to read it is that if i/you get the NSF or something, admission is much more likely.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, no news from me either.... I have Northwestern at my hand now, which helps to calm me down. But I still put Penn as my first choice mainly because of my boyfriend....Let's keep each other updated!

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck bertiek-- hope you get your funding! Did you go to Recruitment Day? What are your research interests?

I'm going to go to the University of Washington. I'm sad to turn down the Penn offer, but I have a young child and already live in Seattle where I have a huge support system of family and friends. I just know I'll be able to do my best possible work if my family is happy and that I can rely on my support network to help out with my kiddo...

Still a little sad though :(  I really liked Penn...