Help me decipher this please

joeschmoe

Hi everyone.

Today I used the online application status checker for one of my schools. Until now, the status has been "under review by department". Now, the status says "awaiting final grad review." I have never received anything other than automatically generated emails from this school. Does my new status mean that the dept has recommended me, and the grad school just has to give the final OK? I mean, why would the grad school need to do a final review if the dept didn't recommend me anyway. This ambiguity among grad schools is driving me crazy. I want to be hopeful, but I don't want to be overly excited and then have my hopes smashed. Any thoughts are welcome.

Unfortunately no one but the school itself could tell you exactly what it means, but the bottom line is: something happened and you're still in the running. So no matter how you interpret it it's good. Think of all the folk who checked their status today to find it changed to "not recommended for admission" or whatever.

Is it by chance the University of Minnesota? The same thing happend with my application there and then the next day the rejection letter was online. That might not happen for you though, no idea what they do for other departments.

It's the University of New Hampshire. They're kinda weird about things. I have received one email from them saying thanks for my app, and that was a week after I completed it online. If I hadn't been checking the blackboard ID that they assigned me, I would have never known that my app was under review by the dept, or that it's awaiting final grad review, because they never email me. Sorry about your rejection.

I applied to UNH as well. I got the same emails as you, and I also had a phone interview, but this may vary by department. My account switched to "Awaiting final grad review" about a week after I'd been told by my POI that I was going to be accepted. Since I'd already spoken to the department, I knew that my final review was the rubber-stamp from the graduate school. Within 2 days, it became "Decision Made - Admitted to program."

If it ends up being good news, congratulations!

I received the same status on my university's website. I called the Graduate School office (not my specific department) and they said the department has made a decision and it is pending under the review of the Graduate School. This person/people have to approve all decisions so it adds a few extra days to the process. I should receive a status update online by the end of the week and the decision letter will be mailed that same day. Hope this helps :)

Hi everyone.

Today I used the online application status checker for one of my schools. Until now, the status has been "under review by department". Now, the status says "awaiting final grad review." I have never received anything other than automatically generated emails from this school. Does my new status mean that the dept has recommended me, and the grad school just has to give the final OK? I mean, why would the grad school need to do a final review if the dept didn't recommend me anyway. This ambiguity among grad schools is driving me crazy. I want to be hopeful, but I don't want to be overly excited and then have my hopes smashed. Any thoughts are welcome.

Good Luck! It seems like good news...but it could be anything. It means that the grad school has to give its approval -wether decsion is good or bad.....but gain good luck <>

I applied to UNH as well. I got the same emails as you, and I also had a phone interview, but this may vary by department. My account switched to "Awaiting final grad review" about a week after I'd been told by my POI that I was going to be accepted. Since I'd already spoken to the department, I knew that my final review was the rubber-stamp from the graduate school. Within 2 days, it became "Decision Made - Admitted to program."

If it ends up being good news, congratulations!

I was accepted into UNH this morning!!!! :D Alison, did they tell you anything on funding yet? I have heard that almost all Chemistry PhD programs fund students with TAs, RAs, etc. Maybe they are waiting for a final head count before they start mentioning any $.

I was accepted into UNH this morning!!!! :D Alison, did they tell you anything on funding yet? I have heard that almost all Chemistry PhD programs fund students with TAs, RAs, etc. Maybe they are waiting for a final head count before they start mentioning any $.

Congrats!

I was told by my POI that I'd be funded for 5 years with a TA, including health insurance. Every student in the department (Psych Ph.D.) gets a tuition waiver and stipend through the department for 5 years. My acceptance letter had the stipend amount for first year students from last year, but I have yet to get anything on paper for what exactly I'd be offered or when to expect it. Hopefully the money info will be arriving for us soon!