How to ask TA,RA fellowship position? (for someone with external funding)

ykgraduate

I want to ask TA,RA fellowship position to the schools (UC Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon) which admitted me.

Because the foundation, which will give me scholarships, told me to get fellowships as much as possible.

But, the admission letters indicated that they know I'm going to receive external funding from the foundation.

Also, the admission to CMU is contingent upon receiving external funding from the foundation. 

Is it proper to ask about TA,RA? How can I get TA,RA positions, given that I have external funding?

Edited by ykgraduate

What foundation are you talking about?  If you were getting a fellowship that covered tuition and a stipend, I doubt they would give you an RA-ship on top of that...that would just be double.  Some fellowships do add on in combination with funding packages the school offers, but usually the amounts are lower.  I'm not sure because I don't know what external funding you're talking about, but you could always ask your school.  If you still need the TA/RA positions to get tuition waivers and stipend, I'm sure it would be okay. If the external funding covered that, then maybe not.

Edited by kaister

If you're trying to earn extra money, that's unlikely with an RAship.  You may be able to with a TAship - here we can TA for extra compensation if we have external funding.

But if you just want the work, that should be easy to arrange at any institution.  You just have to ask the appropriate professor if you could serve as an RA for them.  For TAing, sometimes there's an organizer of all the assignments so you have to find out who that is.