Princeton WWS Strengths/Weaknesses

Rejection for me.

Well that's the last of my schools - completely struckout. Next year it is I guess...

Sorry to hear that - don't let it get you down, though - maybe next year's the charm! I understand that the WWS has sent out acceptances/rejections for international students applying for the PhD program. I applied for the MPA, and still have not heard either way. I wonder if internationals will be out later than domestic students. Once again, congrats to all admitted!

Linden -

Sorry, I don't have info on the waitlist. I've got to wait until I get the official offer from Princeton before I'll be able to make a decision. If the economy has caused Princeton's mythical financial aid to be not so mythical, and I get a great offer elsewhere, I'll have a decision to make. I'll make it as soon as I am comfortable.

Anyways, good luck with the waitlist. A couple weeks ago somebody (policy_applicant?) posted a document showing that ~30% of the admits last year didn't enroll, so there's always hope.

Also, congratulations to the other admits... What are your thoughts on Princeton (the city)?

i'm still kind of over the moon (yea, i cried when i saw that i got in), but agree that i need to actually see what the finaid is going to be. princeton's only major downsides would be that i would have to live between nyc and princeton, and i've been waiting a long time to go to berkeley. but hey, not complaining one bit. amazing to have this dilemma.

i know jack about the town, i feel like its going to be important to head to admitted student day if i can afford it. i'd appreciate other people's impressions of princeton the town too. i did the "quaint small northeastern town" for undergrad and i almost went out of my mind. but apparently city life is just a dinky ride away, right? :)

I checked out the NJ transit website and there are plenty of trains that will take you from Princeton to New York Penn Station in about an hour. Including the shuttle fair, which takes you from Princeton to Princeton Junction, the off-peak hours round-trip fair is $22.50. Amtrak also has a lot of options, but they're more than 3-4 times the price.

To get to Philadelphia you must make a transfer if you use NJ transit, so it takes a little longer (80 minutes). The price is about the same as to New York. If you take Amtrak to Philadelphia, it only takes about 40 minutes, but costs about $30 each way.

So it seems like Princeton is well connected. If you use NJ transit, it's both affordable and a relatively quick trip to get a taste of the big city life. In fact, right now I'm living in Mexico City, and to get from my nearest metro station to some parts of the city takes longer than Princeton-NY.

Another positive, both NY and Philadelphia have baseball teams in the National League. (I'm a DBacks fan.)

Now that the celebrations have cooled down, I just read that professor Cecilia Rouse will go on service leave for the Obama Administration. While it definitely says a lot about the school, does anyone think about how instruction will be affected without these professors. I mean, from what I hear, she is an outstanding econ professor who helps students "get it." Krueger and Slaughter are also on leave serving the Obama Administration.

So as we wait for the correspondence from WWS concerning the wait list, it'd be interested in discussion our chances. Clearly just waiting for the email would be too boring! :)

Any idea how the wait list works? I presume that they would fill the spots based on one's field of concentration. For example, if a field I candidate decides to take another offer, then presumably they would look through the (ranked?) wait list for a field I replacement in order to keep the concentrations somewhat even? You think it's fair to assume that it'll be tougher to get into field II (idev) since financial aid is harder to come by at IR programs compared to MPA programs?

At this point, I'm not assuming many of us will get off the wait list, but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out! I wonder if we'll hear before summer...

Oi, invictus, I wish I shared your enthusiasm for discussing the waitlist. At this, point I am going to assume it's very unlikely I will get off it.This PDF document, http://gradschool.princeton.edu/about/d ... able_A.pdf (I can't remember if younglions or policy_applicant originally shared it) shows that in the past few years WWS has admitted about 100-110 individuals and has had a yield in the 60-70 percent range. Since, their class size is about 70 individuals, that gives you an idea of our chances of coming off the list.

So, it's better for my mental health to pretend the whole WWS thing is over. I got much further than I thought I ever would. Although, in a way, that only makes it worse: now that I realize that this was not the far-fetched fantasy I thought it was, I want it even more. :roll: Regardless, I will probably keep the waitlist letter forever, to show my kids and grandkids that I am not lying, I really almost made it into Princeton. :lol:

Good luck!

Linden - I totally understand where you're coming from and I can relate in many ways. I too got farther than I ever thought and like you said, it almost makes it all the more frustrating.

I'm also not optimistic that they'll take many from the wait list and even less optimistic that there will be a sweet financial aid at the end of the rainbow for waitlisters. That said, I don't think the document you referred to really gives us much to go on. It's impossible to tell what percentage of the admitted and accepted numbers are from the wait list vs. first round. But I agree, that the numbers in general look bleak and the yield is undoubtedly high.

This is fascinating - it seems like almost everyone has heard already, but I still don't have an answer either way. I am an international applicants, and so far have not notices any U's or I's among the admitted applicants in the results search. Is anyone else in the same boat as I am - someone who has not heard yet? (The other, more disturbing, possibility is that they lost/misplaced/did sth else with my application, or simply forgot about me. Aw.)

This is fascinating - it seems like almost everyone has heard already, but I still don't have an answer either way. I am an international applicants, and so far have not notices any U's or I's among the admitted applicants in the results search. Is anyone else in the same boat as I am - someone who has not heard yet? (The other, more disturbing, possibility is that they lost/misplaced/did sth else with my application, or simply forgot about me. Aw.)

I know of someone from India who got in. That should answer your question about admitted international students.

Everyone was mailed their reply yesterday. If you haven't gotton it yet you should call them.

Hmm.. I also did not receive a reply yet-- could it be because I'm applying to the MPP program?

It does seem all of the results are from MPA applicants, and the odd PhD applicant. Unless someone wants to step forward :)

I applied to the PhD program and was rejected...

Anyone get accepted to the PhD program? I am only curious about the number of admissions...I didn't see any from the posts.

The professor I contacted said that he doens't know about decision making. But he admit that this year is particularly tight even for Princeton...

hey, sorry for the late congrats to others who got in and got waitlisted, it's huge! looks like most of the regulars on this board have some awesome offer to celebrate from a top tier school. :) i had to impose a moratorium on grad school obsessing for 48 hours, before i did serious damage to my retinas from staring at gradcafe.

Got turned down for the MPA as well. But I got a letter from them on Saturday that was personally addressed to me (mentioned specific things about my candidacy) saying that I was a strong candidate and even a hand-written note at the bottom suggesting that I needed a little more experience internationally for my stated career goals before heading back to graduate school. Anyone else get a letter from them? Does this mean I was close to getting in or just that they want me to reapply again when I'm a little older/have more experience?

I would say that the personal note definitely means they like you enough that they were giving you what they think of as good advice. I got waitlisted and didn't get any personal message at all, just a FAQ sheet about the waitlist.