Princeton WWS Strengths/Weaknesses

This is fascinating - it seems like almost everyone has heard already, but I still don't have an answer either way. I am an international applicants, and so far have not notices any U's or I's among the admitted applicants in the results search. Is anyone else in the same boat as I am - someone who has not heard yet? (The other, more disturbing, possibility is that they lost/misplaced/did sth else with my application, or simply forgot about me. Aw.)

Hi Pandacamel,

I am international too and still haven't heard from WWS. I just want to know now. If its a "no", I'll live anyway. hahaha :lol:

Goodluck. Let us know once you hear something. :D

I think I got the FAQ because I applied to the MPP program, rather than the MPA. Some important facts:

8 people on the list.

0-4 have been accepted off the list in the past, depending on the year.

In the past, almost no one was accepted until after May 1st.

I'm a little bit screwed, because I have to tell my job if I'm coming back well before May 1st. Moreover, if I say "yes" to my job, I'm effectively telling them to fire one of my (hard-working, talented) colleagues, because of budget cuts. I'd be okay with that (I have a wife and kids, after all) but not if I'm going to turn around (happily) accept Princeton's late offer.

This is the problem with only applying to one program, I guess.

spottedtoad - thanks for the information. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. No easy decisions, that's for sure!

It helps to know that you applied to the MPP program. Perhaps the MPA waitlisters will get some similar information with the next round of communication. Did the FAQ describe the selection process off the waitlist? I'm curious if candidates are ranked or if they review the entire pool in order to match applications with specific openings.

Thanks again!

I haven't heard from WWS yet... hmmm... not a good sign

I emailed the department and said they sent out results last week...nonetheless, the admissions counselor said it was a no for me. Good thing the acceptances came before the rejection, at least I have somewhere to go to this Fall! :D

spottedtoad - thanks for the information. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. No easy decisions, that's for sure!

It helps to know that you applied to the MPP program. Perhaps the MPA waitlisters will get some similar information with the next round of communication. Did the FAQ describe the selection process off the waitlist? I'm curious if candidates are ranked or if they review the entire pool in order to match applications with specific openings.

Thanks again!

According to the MPP FAQs: "Once openings occur, all alternate applications are reviewed." That would make sense given the small size of the waitlist pool (only 8 applicants). It seems that there's a viable chance of admission for waitlisted MPP applicants. I would assume the same is true for MPA folks as well.

For those interested, it seems like the WWS MPA program accepted right around 10% of applicants this year.

I'm curious, what are the raw numbers? Last year, the rate was around 13% with about 800 applicants.

Thanks--and wow, that's insane.

If they are still aiming for a class of approximately 65, they are likely being conservative this year with admits in case the yield will be unusually higher. So it's possible that there is a deeper waitlist. (Although, it's also possible that the market value of the endowment has fallen so much this year to demand a reduction in class sizes.)

Sorry, forgot to include that a quite a few people who deferred last year will be entering this year. I don't have the document right now, but it's somewhere between 10-13.

Boy do I feel stupid. Until your post, I was reading the 13 deferrals as 13 applicants waitlisted. Man I need to knock some sense into myself :!:

Does anyone know if the yield percentage represented in the much discussed enrollment data incorporates deferments or if it only pertains to students offered admissions during that year's cycle? There may be no way of knowing, but I think it makes a big difference in terms of our chances of getting off the wait list. If the 66% yield does not incorporate the deferrals then the numbers look bleak. However, if the 66% yield incorporates the deferrals then there may actually be a chance that several people get off the list.

Probably not worth over analyzing, but fun (i.e. stress-inducing) to think about. :lol:

I assume the other WWS waitlisters out there also got the waitlist FAQ letter yesterday in the mail? 41 individuals on the wait list with the numbers in years past ranging from 0 - 17 admits of the list. We should hear by the middle of May. That's only ...two months away! I love the way the letter from John Templeton started: "You deserve more." Hell yeah, so just let me in! :)

I assume the other WWS waitlisters out there also got the waitlist FAQ letter yesterday in the mail? 41 individuals on the wait list with the numbers in years past ranging from 0 - 17 admits of the list. We should hear by the middle of May. That's only ...two months away! I love the way the letter from John Templeton started: "You deserve more." Hell yeah, so just let me in! :)

Aaarggh. Invictus. So, we have between a 0 percent chance and a 40 percent chance. This is killing me. I can't make it till May. I am just going to attend GPPI.

Agreed. The number don't look pretty. I'm also wondering if the yield is going to be high this year considering the economy and lack of generous funding offers at other schools.

I think i have to stop thinking about it so much. Enroll elsewhere and be ready to give up my deposit and make a last minute switch in case the waitlist gods are on my side.