Princeton WWS Strengths/Weaknesses

Rejexored!

No surprise; it was my first app and I was unhappy with my personal statement that I used only for WWS and HKS. (ie the public service essay)

Congrats to those who got in!

I had a feeling there would be at least a few acceptances on here, and I'm not surprised that any of you got in. Congratulations. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky, but that wasn't surprising either. I think my application was lacking in the relevant experience component.

Linden -

Sorry, I don't have info on the waitlist. I've got to wait until I get the official offer from Princeton before I'll be able to make a decision. If the economy has caused Princeton's mythical financial aid to be not so mythical, and I get a great offer elsewhere, I'll have a decision to make. I'll make it as soon as I am comfortable.

Anyways, good luck with the waitlist. A couple weeks ago somebody (policy_applicant?) posted a document showing that ~30% of the admits last year didn't enroll, so there's always hope.

Also, congratulations to the other admits... What are your thoughts on Princeton (the city)?

Linden -

Sorry, I don't have info on the waitlist. I've got to wait until I get the official offer from Princeton before I'll be able to make a decision. If the economy has caused Princeton's mythical financial aid to be not so mythical, and I get a great offer elsewhere, I'll have a decision to make. I'll make it as soon as I am comfortable.

Anyways, good luck with the waitlist. A couple weeks ago somebody (policy_applicant?) posted a document showing that ~30% of the admits last year didn't enroll, so there's always hope.

Also, congratulations to the other admits... What are your thoughts on Princeton (the city)?

I got denied.

But one of my best friends from college was from Princeton. It's a pretty nice town. Very homey. It definitely isn't as dynamic as a big city, but it definitely has a comfortable element to it. Lots of old money. Lots of refined culture. And it's located between Philly and NYC, if you ever really want to get away.

My dad went there for undergrad and my SO's family lives there. Princeton is actually adorable---cute little coffee shops/stores, awesome pizza (Conte's!) and weather that's not as harsh as New England but still 4 seasons. In my opinion, you'd pretty much need a car to live somewhere affordable (the housing around Princeton is very expensive--although I guess with full funding that matters to a smaller degree).

If you're a city person, however, I think Princeton might be slightly sleepy for you. Also, it has a very...almost ritzy feel, due to the undergrad population. However, it's two years, and an open door to almost anything you'd want. Plus, you can relatively easily get to Philly/DC, although again, I'd say you'd need a car.

Thanks for the responses regarding the town.

The small town vibe is the only negative Princeton has for me. I've been living abroad for almost three years now, and I'm dying to attend some baseball games and indie rock concerts. I keep telling myself that a high-speed train runs through Princeton Junction, and I'll be able to get to the big cities on the weekends. Am I going to be disappointed?

Thanks for the responses regarding the town.

The small town vibe is the only negative Princeton has for me. I've been living abroad for almost three years now, and I'm dying to attend some baseball games and indie rock concerts. I keep telling myself that a high-speed train runs through Princeton Junction, and I'll be able to get to the big cities on the weekends. Am I going to be disappointed?

I don't imagine so. No real high speed trains, but NJ transit is pretty reliable (as far as trains go), and you should be able to get from Princeton to NYC within an hour. Probably the same for Philly.

Have any international students heard yet? So far it's only "A"s on the results page. I'm nervous. :)

Rejection for me.

Well that's the last of my schools - completely struckout. Next year it is I guess...