Goldman School MPP 2013

socal_kid

Anshuman,

Congrats! Will you attend admitted students day next month? I strongly encourage you to come if you can - You might ask for some money for travel if you're international.

My understanding is that there is support to expand our international focus. This semester we hosted several groups of international mid-career times (one from Honk Kong government). On the student side, there's definitely a desire for more international faculty and offerings. I think the lack of strenght definitely does relate to the fact that most graduates work domestically, on domestic policy. I'd estimate about 25% of current students are interested in international policy in one form or the other, and we do manage to get pretty cool internships, with the UN, WB, etc. Part of the difficulty there is that our alumni base in DC is relatively small (but it's grown a lot in the last five years).  I think you'll likely have to work a bit harder to get the exact experience you might want. That said, Berkeley's strength in such a broad array of programs (Economics, Ag Econ, Political science, etc.) means you can tailor it to get the most benefit. Many GSPPers are taking an international impact analysis class from the econ department, and really enjoying it.

Other schools have more international focus, and have the same breadth of departments. However, I'm increasingly aware of how well regarded GSPP students are across the university. Unlke a criticsm of Harris, and HKS that I've heard. I think if you can identify classes, professors, and programs outside of GSPP that you find interesting, than you can use those experiences to flesh out your degree. One of GSPP's greatest strength is the core, second only to the quality of peers, and the excellent peer effects of spending so much time with such great folks.

If you feel like sharing a bit more about your interests, I might be able to connect you with a current student or two for them to give you their take on the international experience.

Also,  which job stats do you find troubling?

Goldman has a modest endowment that the administration managed through the recession quite well aparently, and this allows us to smooth out the funding cuts from the UC. I imagine faculty have had pay freezes, and we've likely delayed some maintaince. However, we are in the process of hiring two new faculty (that comes from a separate funding stream), and we're also moving closer on the plans to expand the school by constructing another building next door. There are also plans to create a mid-career MPP/MPA, which there is a lot of demand for, especially internationally. This would likely come out a sizable revenue generator. So, while things aren't exactly flush, I think we've done pretty well. There may be more going on behind the scenes, but it's not something that I'm aware of.

Goldman has a modest endowment that the administration managed through the recession quite well aparently, and this allows us to smooth out the funding cuts from the UC. I imagine faculty have had pay freezes, and we've likely delayed some maintaince. However, we are in the process of hiring two new faculty (that comes from a separate funding stream), and we're also moving closer on the plans to expand the school by constructing another building next door. There are also plans to create a mid-career MPP/MPA, which there is a lot of demand for, especially internationally. This would likely come out a sizable revenue generator. So, while things aren't exactly flush, I think we've done pretty well. There may be more going on behind the scenes, but it's not something that I'm aware of.

State School,

I appreciate the advice you've given so far.  I was wondering, in the event I get in off the waitlist, how difficult it is to pay for Goldman's costs given no funding?  My friend TA'd at another school and got his tuition paid for, but I'm not sure what kind of arrangements are available at Goldman or how difficult it is to get a TA position or something similar.  

I don't have funding, and I'm out of state. After talking with current students and staff on admited students day, I made the assumption that I could land a GSI position, which with the tuition remission that accompanies it, meant that GSPP was the cheapest option for me (aside from UW Madison). I didn't have any trouble landing a position by June, although positions open up throughout the summer and into the start of the semester. The economics department generates a lot of demand (800+ econ majors + countless other undergrads, and only 20-ish PhD's available to teach). So if you have econ experience, that's a plus. After the first semester here, you are qualified to teach at least econ's intermediate micro (three first-years are teaching in that this semseter, some without any previous econ experience. The stats department has a similar story. So if you know econ or stats, that's a slam dunk. But there are many other positions in envirionmental classes, business, history, law, etc.

Bottom line, the jobs are there if you want them enough. I think it's really an effort thing, becuase GSSP has a reputation for supplying good GSIs to so many departments. It's only a matter of finding the right one for you.

state_school'12,

Thank you for your wishes and for all the information you provided! Sorry that I did not reply earlier; have been researching schools and talking to people and just forgot to check up here. I will not be able to attend the admitted students day because of work commitments too unfortunately. Guess I will loom around these boards looking for impressions :)

I did talk to a first-year MPP student and also an alum last week. The student made similar points to yours regarding the shifting international interests at GSPP. And researching all the other departments (econ, law, pol sci and even journalism) I found many courses that would help me. My interests are in international economic development although I don't think I am quite sector-specific yet. Would really appreciate it if you could connect me to students who have similar interests.

My bad choice of words regarding job stats. I was meaning to say that I found fewer international jobs for students at GSPP(continuing with the earlier theme of lower international focus) compared to other schools I was admitted to. I am quite sure that all people out of the MPP program have little trouble finding a job! But would you say that think-tanks or development banks such as the World Bank are regular recruiters at GSPP?

Again, thanks for your help! It's much appreciated.

No worries, I think I knew what you meant :)

I don't think the WB recruites specifically on campus, but I could be wrong. I do know we have numerous recent and older alums in the World Bank and UN, instance. From what I understand, much of the applicaiton process involves networking with current employees/alums to be succesful. Career services have a ton of advice and experience to help get you into your desired field. I've persoonally reached out for 6-7 alums for informational interviews, and I've been amazed at how friendly and accessible everyone has been. Offering to edit applications/cover letters, even! We've got a small but dedicated network, which I really appreciate.

I too have experienced just how helpful, receptive and amazingly nice alumni at GSPP are when I talked to an alum from the 2000 batch. And the same for students and staff too. It should not be a difficult decision to choose Berkeley after all but I am just trying to exhaust all reasons that might exist to attend any other school :)

state_school, I see that you got into CMU, Harris, Ford apart from GSPP too. Same here. I did not consider Harris (or SIPA) because of financial reasons. CMU gave me some aid but the course structure is probably not as flexible as Ford or GSPP. My background is in IT but I don't think I want to be just so tied up with quant skills or management/IT courses that I can't take politics, law or other courses I would like to take. Besides CMU will still see me taking a large loan as they don't have enough RA/TA. So I am not thinking about CMU either; it is between Ford and GSPP. Ford gave me $20k but I would still have to get a GSI in the second year to make it affordable. They are not as plentiful as at Berkeley. Eventually it is about Money. Ford has a dual-degree option open and also is somewhat more international (although don't think that is any more a factor). How do you see this choice having made a similar decision last year?

I saw a post you made last year about quant skills at various schools. How did you find Berkeley after your first year? Enough econ and quant or flexible enough to take as much as one would want?

Edited by Anshuman

Can anyone tell us about the open house today? I wasn't able to go. I'm leaning towards attending GSPP, but I'm not 100% sure, so ANY input is greatly appreciated. Impressions, any new info shared by faculty or students, etc.

Thank you!

I was waitlisted by Goldman, and the email said I'd hear by May 1. Does anyone know whether that means "on May 1," or "anytime between then and May 1"? I'll try to find last year's thread for the answer in the meantime...

thx!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got in off the wait list. I'm incredibly excited, will definitely be attending. Just thought I'd post here in case anyone else was on the wait list and was wondering if decisions had started to come out. Good luck to you all! I know this is a nerve wracking process to go through.

Did anyone hear about hear about updated fellowships offers after April 10? Apparently there was the possibility of some more funds becoming available after that date for newly admitted students.without fellowships...

I don't think GSPP publishes that info, but I can tell you qualitatively that it was very similar to HKS in 2011/2012, with the exception of the private sector. At GSPP, private sector graduates earned more than public sector graduates, but not as much more as the HKS graduates. GSPP grads don't often go after/land the 120K+ jobs around here. Also, in general we have more people here that go into state/local, and non-profit sectors, both of which pay less on average than national/Federal government jobs. I think that's largely a choice, driven by people that want to work in the Bay Area/ Sacramento, with generally means non-profit state gov type jobs. Recent classes have pursued jobs out east, and I expect the salary figures to increasingly reflect that.