Goldman School MPP 2013

socal_kid

Hey All,

I haven't seen any threads recently about Fall 2013 at Berkeley's Goldman School, so I thought I'd go ahead and start one.  

I know decisions are released in March which is just around the corner, but does anyone know the ballpark range of when they're released (i.e. earlier or later in the month)?  

Also, regarding financial aid, I've heard that if you are accepted into Goldman it is one of the more generous schools with regards to providing its students with assistance of some sort.  Can anyone validate/dispel this claim?  

Of course these questions will be moot if I don't get accepted, but I imagine they will help those who get in.

Well, count me in on the waiting process. 

I wouldn't trust much on the deadlines or historical notifications. GPPI sent me a notification about two weeks ago, and historically they had notified by mid march according to Results Search.

Well, count me in on the waiting process. 

I wouldn't trust much on the deadlines or historical notifications. GPPI sent me a notification about two weeks ago, and historically they had notified by mid march according to Results Search.

I'm assuming you got into GPPI since you heard?  Out of curiosity where does Goldman rank on your list?

I did get into the GPPI. No funding information yet.

Goldman ranks third on my list (after SIPA and HKS) but I think I have more chance of getting money at Goldman than at the other two, and that would be a deal breaker.

Edited by alf10087

I did get into the GPPI. No funding information yet.

Goldman ranks third on my list (after SIPA and HKS) but I think I have more chance of getting money at Goldman than at the other two, and that would be a deal breaker.

Alf, could you kindly rank the schools you applied to and why you prefer one over the other? Maybe I can share some of my perspective to it as well.

Alf, could you kindly rank the schools you applied to and why you prefer one over the other? Maybe I can share some of my perspective to it as well.

SIPA

HKS

GSPP

Wagner

GPPI

LBJ

Reasons are mostly a combination between the prestige, location and the faculty of the programs.

SIPA

HKS

GSPP

Wagner

GPPI

LBJ

Reasons are mostly a combination between the prestige, location and the faculty of the programs.

My advice would be to choose the school with the best overall reputation, especially since you are an international student.

I visited SIPA multiple times and was able to compare it well with HKS. While Columbia has a good reputation globally, it is far from Harvard's.

That would be my rationale in selecting the right program. If cost is an issue, and you get in at SIPA and GSPP (and not at HKS), I would recommend Berkeley.

While NY as a location is amazing for international affairs, your curriculum will be very intense and not allow you much time to actually explore the amenities NY offers. Manhattan is also a very expensive place to live in, and I would discourage commuting.

The good news is you already got in at GPPI, and Wagner I believe. You could now, if you wish, withdraw your LBJ application since it's last on your list anyway just to make the whole process more streamlined.

Your information only made the wait the more unbearable.

Sorry, I can't help it.

Btw, what is your take on GSPP program after 6mths? All you had hoped for and more, or just ok, or?????

Do you mind sharing with us your background and which programs you applied to?

I have a friend who is also from Singapore and went to the military before coming to college and grad school in the US.

Is it true that you have to return to Singapore after graduation?

My advice would be to choose the school with the best overall reputation, especially since you are an international student.

I visited SIPA multiple times and was able to compare it well with HKS. While Columbia has a good reputation globally, it is far from Harvard's.

That would be my rationale in selecting the right program. If cost is an issue, and you get in at SIPA and GSPP (and not at HKS), I would recommend Berkeley.

While NY as a location is amazing for international affairs, your curriculum will be very intense and not allow you much time to actually explore the amenities NY offers. Manhattan is also a very expensive place to live in, and I would discourage commuting.

The good news is you already got in at GPPI, and Wagner I believe. You could now, if you wish, withdraw your LBJ application since it's last on your list anyway just to make the whole process more streamlined.

Thank you for your advice. Certainly, I have given a lot of meditation to matters like the ones you mentioned.

The thing with SIPA is that it has been my dream and obsession for many years now. Also, like I said, that is a personal ranking that doesn't take into account the financing options I may get, and that is why I won't withdraw LBJ yet. If I receive no funding at all to GPPI and Wagner, rejects from the other 3, and full ride at LBJ, it would be worthwhile to give it a chance.

Edited by alf10087

I'm a first-year at GSPP, and happy to answer any questions. Re decisions, I think they will start going out next week. Good luck!

State_School,

I am wondering too how you're finding Goldman.  It looks like by your stats that you had a lot of different options to choose from.  What made you choose Goldman and do you regret it in any way?

I'm also wondering how the financial aid situation at the school works and if there is a pretty heavy quant focus. 

So did I!! Just when I was beginning to feel really confident about going to a solid, local school, and staying in the same city as my partner. Too confused to even process the news right now...

No fellowship, though. I'm going to have to do a lot of research on getting assistantships.

It was an email saying I've been "recommended for admission" and that official notification will follow shortly. The first letter of my last name is at the end of the alphabet.

It was an email saying I've been "recommended for admission" and that official notification will follow shortly. The first letter of my last name is at the end of the alphabet.

What's the difference between being offered admission and being recommended for admission? Is it conditional on passing a background check?

What's the difference between being offered admission and being recommended for admission? Is it conditional on passing a background check?

There is no difference. It is just the way they word it.