Security Studies Programs

I don't really know why I didn't apply. I was/am on pretty limited funds so I just picked four schools. Two that I felt I could get into (Syracuse and Denver) and two that I am hoping for (GW and Georgetown). I don't have anything against Fletcher, I just didn't research many schools. It looks like a great program though!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Security Studiers,

I was just looking through your school info and noticed that other than hisroyalhighness you guys didn't apply to the Fletcher school. Is there a reason for that? Do you not think highly of its security studies program?

Fletcher has a great rep, but I've been stationed in Wyoming for the past four years and I'm tired of being cold :oops:

I called them today !(couldn't resist !) All they said was it'll be out in next couple of days. Speculating on the mails sent last year... some were sent even on saturdays ... therefore keep checking mails is the only option ! See you there USAF ! :D

Hope so! SSP is an awesome program... but I did get into Patterson as a safety net. That vented some of the pressure.

Got into Pitt's GSPIA program in Security and Intel Studies this morning... funding decision to come later this month. Still waiting on GWU, but Pitt will be tough to pass up with the in state price!

Got into Pitt's GSPIA program in Security and Intel Studies this morning... funding decision to come later this month. Still waiting on GWU, but Pitt will be tough to pass up with the in state price!

Hey congrats! GSPIA is a phenomenal program -- and yes, in-state PA tuition is no doubt better than 33k a year for Elliott :P

Fellas,

I see a post about acceptance in Conflict resolution, (REsult search Georgetown). Anyone heard about SSP yet ? This seems to be taking longer than usual...

It was the same last year - Georgetown is very slow. I wouldn't expect to hear from them before the middle or end of next week to be honest.

So here is my dilemma.

I have been admitted to Pitt GSPIA and American SIS. Pitt is for Security and Intel Studies and American is for International Politics. At AU I would be concentrating in Int Security. My original inkling would be to go Pitt since it is a pure security program, but then again SIS is a top 10 school of IR. What to do?

So here is my dilemma.

I have been admitted to Pitt GSPIA and American SIS. Pitt is for Security and Intel Studies and American is for International Politics. At AU I would be concentrating in Int Security. My original inkling would be to go Pitt since it is a pure security program, but then again SIS is a top 10 school of IR. What to do?

Hi jly !

I live here right here in DC. I would go to AU for the masters degree since you have networking here in DC.

Plus I would also which one would be cheaper down the road or you would not be too much in debt.

Best of luck !

FYI, all. I just received an email from Gtown SSP -- "The Admissions Committee for the Security Studies Program (SSP) has completed its review of your application. The committee has recommended your admission to the Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. You will soon receive a letter pending a final review of general admissions requirements. This is a routine step preceding full or conditional admission to the SSP." It also says that merit aid information will be available sometime in the next couple weeks.

UK Patterson seems like a great up-and-coming program - I prefer smaller class sizes and wanted something outside the Beltway which is why I applied to Korbel at DU. It seems like any on your list would be great programs for what you're looking for.

Just Curious, HRH, but why would you want to be outside the Beltway when anyone who's ever applied for a job knows how important experience is...I'm thinking there are more opportunities to gain experience inside the Beltway than out...although Denver does sound enticing. Just wondering if you know something about Korbel I don't...? And of course, if so, I would love for you to share! :-)

Just Curious, HRH, but why would you want to be outside the Beltway when anyone who's ever applied for a job knows how important experience is...I'm thinking there are more opportunities to gain experience inside the Beltway than out...although Denver does sound enticing. Just wondering if you know something about Korbel I don't...? And of course, if so, I would love for you to share! :-)

two words for you, africagirl. Condoleezza. Rice.

i kid.

no but seriously, i think she's given the school a lot of street cred, simply because she went to school at DU for undergrad and learned from ol' man Korbel himself.

HisRoyalHighness wrote:UK Patterson seems like a great up-and-coming program - I prefer smaller class sizes and wanted something outside the Beltway which is why I applied to Korbel at DU. It seems like any on your list would be great programs for what you're looking for.

I went to undergrad in NY and part of me (a huge part) does not want to go to school back east again. I'm confused as to why people feel that you have to live in DC or NY to gain "experience." NORAD's HQ is at Cheyenne Mountain right outside of Denver and the Security Studies program at Korbel places many students in internships there. DU also maintains a campus in DC with Maxwell and GSPIA for those interested in learning in the capitol. I personally know Korbel students now at the State Department and two prestigious NGOs. The Dean of one of the most prestigious security studies schools in the world personally recommended Korbel to me.

Being outside the Beltway I can focus on theory and practice and not politics. If I want a dose of DC I can always attend classes during the summer at Korbel's facilities there. I don't feel that I need to pass by the Department of State everyday to validate what I'm learning and I don't want to work for State anyway, at any point, after I graduate.

The field of security studies is much less identified with DC than most people think. The armed forces of this country have purposely dispersed their operations out of DC in places as varied as Kansas, California & Colorado. One does not have to attend a school in DC, NY or Boston to "gain experience." Many employers look highly on those who manage to escape the professionally and academically incestuous atmosphere of DC anyway.

Fellas Help,

Is anyone of you expecting to hear from SSP ? Hope this is not the final list that they have accepted... we've only got 4 posts in gradcafe search result so far..

I have not been emailed so far, is that rejection ? Would be glad if you could share any info you have on this... thanx !

Fellas Help,

Is anyone of you expecting to hear from SSP ? Hope this is not the final list that they have accepted... we've only got 4 posts in gradcafe search result so far..

I have not been emailed so far, is that rejection ? Would be glad if you could share any info you have on this... thanx !

Meh -- same boat, no email. I took it as a rejection. Best I can hope for now is wait list, but I'm really getting excited about UK Patterson if the DC schools don't come through.

Thanks for sharing, HRH...I see your point.

Question for you guys. I'm not entirely positive that I want to do intelligence analysis as a career...originally I had thought I wanted to, which is what got this whole Grad school thing going...but it's a little difficult to get a clear picture of what exactly one does in intel analysis. I'm also interested in foreign affairs. I've been accepted to two different Security programs, and two IR programs. I'm tempted to simply do IR since I'm not sure about the intelligence analysis as a career and figure that by doing a more broad program, I can keep my career options open. Then again, I've also thought I'd like to do regional analysis for the DoD...any thoughts? Suggestions? Any way of having a more clear idea about what intel analysts do, and what qualities it is important to have?

Depending on the program you're allowed to switch your focus in the first year, which gives you some room for flexibility in this area. I bet a lot of people take advantage of that option - especially in intelligence and counter-intelligence which seem like such amorphous fields.

Thanks for sharing, HRH...I see your point.

Question for you guys. I'm not entirely positive that I want to do intelligence analysis as a career...originally I had thought I wanted to, which is what got this whole Grad school thing going...but it's a little difficult to get a clear picture of what exactly one does in intel analysis. I'm also interested in foreign affairs. I've been accepted to two different Security programs, and two IR programs. I'm tempted to simply do IR since I'm not sure about the intelligence analysis as a career and figure that by doing a more broad program, I can keep my career options open. Then again, I've also thought I'd like to do regional analysis for the DoD...any thoughts? Suggestions? Any way of having a more clear idea about what intel analysts do, and what qualities it is important to have?

Well I only know the intel world, but I do know that if the "Africa" in your username is indicative of your geographical location, no doubt you'll be in very high demand in the spook world. Sub-Sahara Africa is widely thought to be the next big front in the war on terrorism, so they'll be no difficulty finding work :D

If you're interested in the intelligence world, shoot me a text with your email and we can go into more detail.