Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I've been lucky enough to have been accepted to three great programs and wait listed at another. DGS informed me I'm the first person in line. I'd definitely consider the school that wait listed me (and although this should be taken with a grain of salt, this school is better ranked in my field than my other admits), but I haven't been invited to visit. I'm going to be visiting the other schools, and I just can't imagine myself making a last minute decision should I be admitted without having visited the school and mentally prepared myself.

Should I remove myself from the wait list? Would you choose a school that you haven't visited, when you've seen other schools that admitted you outright?

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I've been lucky enough to have been accepted to three great programs and wait listed at another. DGS informed me I'm the first person in line. I'd definitely consider the school that wait listed me (and although this should be taken with a grain of salt, this school is better ranked in my field than my other admits), but I haven't been invited to visit. I'm going to be visiting the other schools, and I just can't imagine myself making a last minute decision should I be admitted without having visited the school and mentally prepared myself. Should I remove myself from the wait list? Would you choose a school that you haven't visited, when you've seen other schools that admitted you outright?
Is visiting on your own dime a feasible option?

I've got a couple waitlists that I would be more than happy to see pan out, if for no other reason than to have some options available to me.  I've emailed both programs asking for information on the waitlist but haven't heard anything back yet.  I'm going to wait and see how I do with my last four schools before I decide whether to take myself off the waitlists or wait it out and see if I get an offer of admission.

Do you mind sharing where?

Wait listed at Rice. In at Purdue. I wish I could do something more than refresh my email and over think everything but alas, here I am. I keep dreaming of having the courage to turn down a secure offer for a shot at my dream program. 

Thanks for this thread! Perfect timing!

I just got waitlisted at U. Michigan, which was slightly higher on my "ranked" list than Penn State (where I've been admitted with a good package)... The letter from UM made me feel really good, even if I don't ultimately get accepted (though they said the waitlist is small and that many people do come in off of it)... but there are a lot of other "pros" at Penn State--like it's closer to my and my husband's family (kinda important--we have a 6-month-old). But, if I'm honest with myself, I'm way more excited about the idea of Michigan.

So... dilemmas. What do I DOOOO?!?

Thanks for this thread! Perfect timing!

I just got waitlisted at U. Michigan, which was slightly higher on my "ranked" list than Penn State (where I've been admitted with a good package)... The letter from UM made me feel really good, even if I don't ultimately get accepted (though they said the waitlist is small and that many people do come in off of it)... but there are a lot of other "pros" at Penn State--like it's closer to my and my husband's family (kinda important--we have a 6-month-old). But, if I'm honest with myself, I'm way more excited about the idea of Michigan.

So... dilemmas. What do I DOOOO?!?

Yes! We're in similar predicaments! Is waiting all we can do? It's rendering me useless already, and this could go on for almost 2 more months?! Oy!

Thanks for this thread! Perfect timing!   I just got waitlisted at U. Michigan, which was slightly higher on my "ranked" list than Penn State (where I've been admitted with a good package)... The letter from UM made me feel really good, even if I don't ultimately get accepted (though they said the waitlist is small and that many people do come in off of it)... but there are a lot of other "pros" at Penn State--like it's closer to my and my husband's family (kinda important--we have a 6-month-old). But, if I'm honest with myself, I'm way more excited about the idea of Michigan.   So... dilemmas. What do I DOOOO?!?
Let the baby choose (obviously.)

Let the baby choose (obviously.)

This is an awesome idea. I will put her on the floor with my letters from each school, and whichever one she grabs and destroys first is the winner. :P

Tight. Do you know your place on the list?

No idea. And I'm too nervous to ask, since it's the best news I've gotten so far and I don't have enough extra joy to get smooshed down if the answer is "at the back, right behind the important people."

I am def feeling this thread right now. Having seen notifications on the Results board from all of the programs I applied to (or having heard from them myself), the dust has pretty much settled for me. The only program I'm still holding out for is Maryland. So now I'm hoping that my position on the wait list at one of my top choices converts to an acceptance. Barring that, my mind is pretty much made up on the others, but funding situations are far from clear. Actually, I have yet to be told "you have funding" by anyone, but I know it's coming from at least one of my acceptances. My heart doesn't want to care about those offers right now, though. Argh. 

I am def feeling this thread right now. Having seen notifications on the Results board from all of the programs I applied to (or having heard from them myself), the dust has pretty much settled for me. The only program I'm still holding out for is Maryland. So now I'm hoping that my position on the wait list at one of my top choices converts to an acceptance. Barring that, my mind is pretty much made up on the others, but funding situations are far from clear. Actually, I have yet to be told "you have funding" by anyone, but I know it's coming from at least one of my acceptances. My heart doesn't want to care about those offers right now, though. Argh. 
Super sad dude. I feel you. Have you tried contacting a Maryland?

I do feel a bit dickish posting in this thread (since I have been accepted, so it's like the "first world problems" of waitlist threads), but I've been dealing with the waitlist question all day so I hope no one minds.

Even though I'm in at UCI, I think I'm going to stick around the waitlists that I'm on a little longer, mostly to visit and make sure UCI is definitely where I want to be.  Besides, it's a waitlist, and better to make an informed decision before taking the possibility off the table, right?

I do feel a bit dickish posting in this thread (since I have been accepted, so it's like the "first world problems" of waitlist threads), but I've been dealing with the waitlist question all day so I hope no one minds.

Even though I'm in at UCI, I think I'm going to stick around the waitlists that I'm on a little longer, mostly to visit and make sure UCI is definitely where I want to be.  Besides, it's a waitlist, and better to make an informed decision before taking the possibility off the table, right?

I'm definitely having a hard time dealing with my waitlists. I don't really know how to think about them in view of my other acceptances. I feel really luck to have my acceptances and good offers. But I want to make sure I look into every option before going off lists. I'm very high on both of my waitlists, so it looks like they are really likely to turn into acceptances....