Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

I had a voicemail on my phone from Ann Arbor today when I came out of class, and I just about had a goddamned heart attack. But it was a call from a realtor, because I registered for a site so I could start comparing housing prices/options if my fam needs to move. Oy.

Oh, my God.  I.  I just.  Oh, you poor thing.  This is just.

tumblr_m48kzq5LOU1roilnu.gif

Yes.  That.

I had a voicemail on my phone from Ann Arbor today when I came out of class, and I just about had a goddamned heart attack. But it was a call from a realtor, because I registered for a site so I could start comparing housing prices/options if my fam needs to move. Oy.

Sympathy ulcer! 

I have an email out to the Graduate Director at Tennessee, asking about my place on the waitlist.  I think I remember vaguely that they've historically had a long, but ranked waitlist.  Fingers crossed.

Well, I didn't get the information I'd hoped for.  The waitlist is quite long (31 people) and I'm #4 in my area, so the odds are against me, but not impossible.  Everything depends on how many 20th century scholars they have decline - if four of them do, I'm in.

I received notification that I'm waitlisted at Rochester today, and so I am joining this thread 'o uncertainty! 

More evidence that it is jumping the gun to assume rejection the instant someone else hears from a school.

Edited by asleepawake

I received notification that I'm waitlisted at Rochester today, and so I am joining this thread 'o uncertainty! 

More evidence that it is jumping the gun to assume rejection the instant someone else hears from a school.

Told ya! I have not yet made a decision, but at the moment I am not leaning toward Rochester, if that helps. 

Awesome! Congrats!!!!!

I've been waitlisted at UVA. Accepted at Temple, but they haven't made a funding decisions yet, and waiting to hear from one more school (rejected or implicitly rejected everywhere else). It feels like the limbo is just going to extend into March and April. Sigh. Here's hoping the UVA waitlist pays off or Temple comes through with funding! please oh pretty please!

And I'm once again even on wait-lists/rejections. Always the bridesmaid, you guys.

(I've been secretly hoping for a 50% wait-lists response outcome but, ha, I'd have to get them from both Buffalo and Harvard and that's actually just not going to happen.)

Edited by girl who wears glasses

Waitlisted at Texas A&M. I emailed the DGS to see if I could get a sense of where I'm at / what my chances of acceptance are. To my chagrin, I was given a cryptic neutral response. Lame.

And I'm once again even on wait-lists/rejections. Always the bridesmaid, you guys.

(I've been secretly hoping for a 50% wait-lists response outcome but, ha, I'd have to get them from both Buffalo and Harvard and that's actually just not going to happen.)

if you were in the miss america pageant, getting wait listed would totally be your talent. you would win, just like you're going to win the wait list game. 

if you were in the miss america pageant, getting wait listed would totally be your talent. you would win, just like you're going to win the wait list game. 

Wanting so hard to be able to up-vote this. I keep saying that the wait-list is like the Miss Congeniality of the admissions game.

Me too. Did you get the initial, mistake email?

Yes, and it confuses me. I happen to know someone one the list, and s/he is a current UCI student who was wait listed last year. So I am not sure that this really means there are 13 of us on it.

The more waitlist notifications you get, the greater the odds of your being accepted somewhere... keep 'em coming!

Yes, and it confuses me. I happen to know someone one the list, and s/he is a current UCI student who was wait listed last year. So I am not sure that this really means there are 13 of us on it.

I now know where all of these people live, in case I need to fix the odds. Just kidding.

....or am I?

ETA: Oh, yes, now that I'm viewing this on a computer I can see that they are all from last year. Also, how do you respond to a wait-list e-mail?

Edited by Deadinthewater

If anyone is on the wait lists at U Wisconsin Milwaukee or Illinois State, I just sent them notices that I'm declining their offer. Planning on declining the offer from University of Illinois Chicago, as well. Hopefully this means good news for some people!