University of Chicago MAPSS

lacma

Ray Fogelsong now has emeritus status. He doesnt spend much time on campus, but he does still have his office here, and it is possible to meet with him - or at least it was this year. Even though he doesnt take students anymore, he's great. He's very knowledgeable, helpful and insightful.

Ray Fogelsong now has emeritus status. He doesnt spend much time on campus, but he does still have his office here, and it is possible to meet with him - or at least it was this year. Even though he doesnt take students anymore, he's great. He's very knowledgeable, helpful and insightful.

And his apartment is amazing!  2 stories of books!

If I don't have a specific thesis layout yet... would it be best not to set up meetings with professors during the Campus Day?

I just don't want to make a fool of myself before even classes begin.

But on the other hand, I feel like I should come up with 'something' just for the sake of meeting them in advance.

What would you guys advise? 

Meet potential advisors in April? Or charm them once school starts? ;)

Also, how big are the classes the MAPSS students take? Is it a small number of students for each class?

I'm sure it depends on the classes, but just roughly? 

Thx!

If I don't have a specific thesis layout yet... would it be best not to set up meetings with professors during the Campus Day?

I just don't want to make a fool of myself before even classes begin.

But on the other hand, I feel like I should come up with 'something' just for the sake of meeting them in advance.

What would you guys advise? 

Meet potential advisors in April? Or charm them once school starts? ;)

Also, how big are the classes the MAPSS students take? Is it a small number of students for each class?

I'm sure it depends on the classes, but just roughly? 

Thx!

I am considering attending MAPSS and not an student or alum so I am not sure how much this advice is worth but IMHO not knowing the topic of your thesis 5+ months prior to the start of the MA program (emphasis on MA) will in NO way make you look foolish infront of potential advisors.  In fact, I know what I want to write my thesis on and the chances that I will bring it up (or at least discuss it in depth) during my fist meeting with profs during the April campus visit are very slim.  Whichever professors you hope to meet with -read their books, articles, working papers, etc. and think of some insightful questions to ask -if you seem intelligent and engaged you will be no worst off (and depending on your questions/ability to charm maybe better off) than the small margin of prospective students who have a more definitive research direction. 

I am also interested in class size.  And campus/MAPSS culture.  A lot of people on this and other forums make it seem like a sadistic hellscape where only the masochistic survive.  I will have to ask about that during the Campus Days.  I am sure it will go over well ; )

I am also interested in class size.  And campus/MAPSS culture.  A lot of people on this and other forums make it seem like a sadistic hellscape where only the masochistic survive. I will have to ask about that during the Campus Days.  I am sure it will go over well ; )

Do you mean class size in terms of your average Chicago course or the cohort size of MAPSS? If the former I would say it's comparable to graduate courses at any university. I had one course that was very popular and had about twenty people (which was too many) and one which was less so and only had five (almost too few). If the latter, the overall cohort size doesn't matter too much. You'll spend most of your MAPSS time with the people in your discipline. I think they aim for about 15 to 20 people per "group" and some disciplines have more than one "group" (typically two).

Chicago can be very intense but I would hardly describe it as being a sadistic hellscape. I did not find it to by treacherous or cutthroat and the faculty were almost all nice and helpful. But the quarter system and the level of work expected often means that you don't get much downtime, something that is reinforced by the fact that, unlike first year doctoral students, those in MAPSS have to figure out and write a thesis too. It is a ton of work (I figure I averaged about 11 to 12 hours per day, seven days a week, for the entire year) but you learn SO SO much and you'll be very proud of what you have accomplished at the end. I worked more than most, but as far as I can tell, those who ended up getting offers from great doctoral programs seem to be those who worked very, very hard.

TL;DR. Tons of work. Not a sadistic hellscape.

Thanks for the thoughtful response Bactrian!  My concerns were less about the workload and more about the relationship between students/ students and faculty -so thanks for addressing that.  I was of course attempting to be comically hyperbolic -in the future I'll think twice before dropping hellscape...

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who have gone through MAPSS or are currently in it:

How did you finance your education? I received a half tuition scholarship but with housing and living expenses factored in its still rather expensive in my opinion.

Did you feel as if MAPSS really prepared you to be a solid PhD candidate? 

Were you able to apply for PhD programs during MAPSS for the following year or did you take a gap year?

How did you like your cohort- were they supportive, helpful, or competitive? Did you spend a lot of time with people who are in your field of study? 

Thank you for your time!

KW

How did you finance your education? I received a half tuition scholarship but with housing and living expenses factored in its still rather expensive in my opinion.

I was fortunate in that my wife (then fiance) moved with me and got a job in Chicago. We lived off of her salary. Some people worked. I think most took out loans.

Did you feel as if MAPSS really prepared you to be a solid PhD candidate? 

Yes, I really think it did. I would not have received the multiple great offers I did without having gone through MAPSS. I believe that compared to the other MA programs at Chicago MAPSS has a much better placement rate. I suspect it's because the idea of MAPSS being a stepping stone for people who want to go on to doctoral programs is so ingrained into the program's culture that people essentially spend a year thinking about and preparing for doctoral admissions. A should also note that a significant number of people decide not to apply to doctoral programs again. MAPSS can be brutal and some decide that graduate work in the social sciences just isn't for them. Of those who opted out many that I know have managed to parlay their MAPSS degree into really, truly great jobs (mostly in the Chicago area).

Were you able to apply for PhD programs during MAPSS for the following year or did you take a gap year?

I took a gap year as did most people. It's discouraged by the program but I know three people who applied during their MAPSS year and were accepted.

How did you like your cohort- were they supportive, helpful, or competitive? Did you spend a lot of time with people who are in your field of study? 

I found the cohort to be supportive and not particularly competitive but I am in a subfield of my discipline that tends to have very low representation in MAPSS. From what I know of those students who competed directly with each other when it came time for doctoral applications there was little backstabbing or badmouthing. I'm not sure what they could have to harm each other's chances anyway. Faculty will write the letters they're going to write and your grades and thesis will stand on their own.

I actually happened to form my closest friendships with a group of people who were scattered across the disciplines. There wasn't any particular reason for that.

Tangent: What do you think the dress code is for visiting days? Obviously don't wear a club outfit or sweatpants, but I've heard of visiting days that were primarily jeans and others that were barely shy of sportcoats.

I don't want to be too over/under dressed, but I also don't want to get fully gussied up in an uncomfortable outfit because I'll be walking around all day.

Tangent: What do you think the dress code is for visiting days? Obviously don't wear a club outfit or sweatpants, but I've heard of visiting days that were primarily jeans and others that were barely shy of sportcoats.

I don't want to be too over/under dressed, but I also don't want to get fully gussied up in an uncomfortable outfit because I'll be walking around all day.

Casual or business casual will be fine.

Hello everyone,

So I'm currently looking for apartments (ideally a furnished studio) in the Hyde Park area. I'm wondering if I should secure an apt with graduate housing or if I should look elsewhere. My main concerns are safety and affordablility. I really want to live in close proximity to the university, but I don't want to spend more than $750 a month on rent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

KW

What are the prospects of finding a decent job in Chicago or wherever else after completing MAPSS?

I'm curious to know how seriously employers take a one year master degree. How helpful is the degree for people who want to go right into work (rather than apply for a phd) and be done with grad school altogether?

What are the prospects of finding a decent job in Chicago or wherever else after completing MAPSS?

I'm curious to know how seriously employers take a one year master degree. How helpful is the degree for people who want to go right into work (rather than apply for a phd) and be done with grad school altogether?

I know a fair number of people who got good jobs after doing MAPSS. But the degree isn't a professional one and probably shouldn't be treated as such in my opinion. But if you have a specific plan of what classes you'll take and how they relate to the kinds of jobs you want ("I need to learn high-level social science stats and ethnographic skills to work in marketing research" or something) then I can see it working out--the UChicago name carries a fair amount of weight, particularly in the Chicago area.

MAPSS has a dedicated career counselor in addition to what UChicago provides for everyone. If you're seriously considering MAPSS then I would contact him or try to meet with him if you're visiting. I was PhD all the way so I'm probably not the best person to speak on this subject.

Edited by Bactrian

I know a fair number of people who got good jobs after doing MAPSS. But the degree isn't a professional one and probably shouldn't be treated as such in my opinion. But if you have a specific plan of what classes you'll take and how they relate to the kinds of jobs you want ("I need to learn high-level social science stats and ethnographic skills to work in marketing research" or something) then I can see it working out--the UChicago name carries a fair amount of weight, particularly in the Chicago area.

MAPSS has a dedicated career counselor in addition to what UChicago provides for everyone. If you're seriously considering MAPSS then I would contact him or try to meet with him if you're visiting. I was PhD all the way so I'm probably not the best person to speak on this subject.

Ok cool. I appreciate the response, Bactrian. Any information is good information!

After attending visiting days last week and speaking to many people I know who attend UChicago (some undergrads, some grads, some former MAPSS), I decided to accept another offer.

Some people I spoke to said that just being at UChicago-- no matter the program-- is a boon, that it's worth the money. But, more people than not said that the MAPSS program isn't the best option if you have any other offers (especially if they're PhD or even a marginally funded MA). One PhD friend of mine said that she has personally seen, on at least two occasions, professors (in history, I think) boot the MAPSS students from a classroom just because he/she thought the class too large. She also said that MAPSS students have to fight for professors to advise them.

That said, I wish the best of luck to everyone who plans on going. No matter what, it is still a good university.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the prospects of finding decent employment directly after MAPSS? I understand most ppl intend to use MAPSS as a stepping stone to top phd programs. I'm curious to know what this degree can do for people not interested in pursuing a phd. 

How much does this degree boost your chances of finding a good job (if the courses you select are focused in an area that has relative appeal to employers)? i.e. jobs in research or w/e else.