Good, pricey school vs. Nothing

TulipOHare

At present, this is hypothetical... but I'm thinking silly thoughts.

Suppose you only got into one school: a top-flight, really expensive one, with no aid.

What would you do -- drown yourself in the debt and go, or hold out till next year?

Keep in mind though that in my discipline, there are plenty of programs that fund all admitted students.

Yeah, that's not the case in SLP at the master's level. However, the degree is also a professional credential -- once you pass your boards and graduate, you can go to any hospital or school district and get a well-paying job. The vast majority of people with MAs in SLP never intend to go on to PhDs, and the job placement rate for MA grads is 100% at any school that's worth a damn.

I got turned down for funding when I applied last year. Before I reapplied this year I told myself that I would go even without funding. This year when I reapplied, and I got the exact same results. I'm going to pay the $50K and try not to be too bitter that other people are getting a better deal.

I'm sort of exactly in the same boat as you. My field is SLP too. I got into a top 5 school but the cost is outrageous especially when you add in rent, living expenses and books. Ironically I got accepted to another school yesterday that is more expensive than the top school, but I would be able to live at home in NYC. So the only way I could afford the second school is if I do the NYC board of ed scholarship but I really don't want to be tied down to the public school system for four years, especially when I'm most passionate about the geriatric population. Ugh. I guess time will tell.