Any news from Wagner NYU, MPA 2013?

RevoltaEve

When did you get it? Was it for a Fellowship?

Because I was interviewed about a month ago for the Lisa Goldberg Fellowship, and even though I didn't make it to the top 3, I was top 7 from over 250 candidates. If you also received the interview for the LG Fellowship, that means you and I are 2 of the 4 who didn't make it to the podium :)

Hi I was wondering if anyone else had the Professional Experience requirement? I am surprised to have been told I would have to do this since I have worked for 3 years in government consulting, granted its been locally in Lebanon mostly. Is it because it was private sector work? But it was aimed at public sector. I wonder.

Hi I was wondering if anyone else had the Professional Experience requirement? I am surprised to have been told I would have to do this since I have worked for 3 years in government consulting, granted its been locally in Lebanon mostly. Is it because it was private sector work? But it was aimed at public sector. I wonder.

My letter stated that I had already met the professional experience requirement, which I was surprised by. I have 7 years of private sector work experience, however it's not related to health, policy or public service. I'm sure it's frustrating to have one more requirement hanging over your head, however I think most people can easily meet the requirement through summer internships and/or working part time during the program that they would do anyway without the requirement. The Wagner program was appealing to me, in part, because they encourage bringing your work experiences into the classroom and want you to work full or part time while in school.

Got in last Friday. Got scholarship email on Monday. No money, so I'll be declining. Applied for the mid-career program. Really stoked I got in, would have considered with some assistance, but tuition plus the cost of living in NYC is not worth going into debt over, especially with another offer with significant scholarship money. 

I got in on Friday too, was quite surprised considering that I did not do the optional video thing that they wanted. However, did not get any funding which is slightly disappointing but I did not expect to get it anyway since I am still an undergraduate student. Kinda bummed that I got outright rejected from UMich Ford today though. 

Does anyone know how good the student community at Wagner is? And by this I mean are people in the faculty close to each other and is there a decent-good sense of community at the school? Found out that the average age of students there is 30 (well at leas that was the case in 2009) so kinda nervous going there considering I am going to be 8 years younger than the average student. Not too sure how seriously they would take someone such as myself. 

I got in on Friday too, was quite surprised considering that I did not do the optional video thing that they wanted. However, did not get any funding which is slightly disappointing but I did not expect to get it anyway since I am still an undergraduate student. Kinda bummed that I got outright rejected from UMich Ford today though.

Does anyone know how good the student community at Wagner is? And by this I mean are people in the faculty close to each other and is there a decent-good sense of community at the school? Found out that the average age of students there is 30 (well at leas that was the case in 2009) so kinda nervous going there considering I am going to be 8 years younger than the average student. Not too sure how seriously they would take someone such as myself.

I visited Wagner for a merit finalist weekend, and this was their big selling point--- community. From the panels I sat in on and students I met, there seems to be a lot of professor-student mentorship and an open door policy with deans and advisors. Granted, students are living off campus and all across the city and boroughs. Despite this, they say they have academic and social clubs for just about every activity, organized study abroad available over holidays, and a very strong presence in the city. I recommend you visit if you can.... Isnt Wagner funding travel for admitted students weekend?

Edited by campussartorialist

I visited Wagner for a merit finalist weekend, and this was their big selling point--- community. From the panels I sat in on and students I met, there seems to be a lot of professor-student mentorship and an open door policy with deans and advisors. Granted, students are living off campus and all across the city and boroughs. Despite this, they say they have academic and social clubs for just about every activity, organized study abroad available over holidays, and a very strong presence in the city. I recommend you visit if you can.... Isnt Wagner funding travel for admitted students weekend?

Thank you very much for your response. That is great, I feel like having a good/strong community is quite important, and I personally put a bit more weight on that than on academic reputation (it would not be fun to be in a "top" university that has a poor community imo)

Anyway, I would love to visit, and it would not be too expensive since I am currently in Canada. However I am not a Canadian citizen and for my country of citizenship, I would need to acquire a tourist visa in order to get into the US. On top of that March and April are fairly stressful months since that is when the bulk of assignments are due, and April because that is when our final exam season starts. I would like to finish my last term decently (not gonna lie, have been experiencing senioritis but still wanna do fairly well, especially since I dont know if the NYU offer is conditional or not, it did not mention anything about it being conditional but still...)

How is the reputation of NYU Wagner? I recently got rejected from the school I wanted to go to (SIPA) and they gave me the message that I am one of the few rejected applicants they tell this, but that I should reapply once I get more work experience (I am straight out of undergrad). So how good is Wagner? Especially compared to SIPA? Is it worth it to work for a bit and then go to SIPA, or would it be better to go to Wagner now? I am hoping to work with organizations such as the World Bank and ADB on economic development projects in central asia, or other 3rd world countries. (starting at their young profesionals program by 30). I would also prefer to work a bit in the private sector in NY prior to moving to one of those organizations.

Anyway, how good overall is Wagner?

Thank you!

Edited by tribesdude