Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

Hi all, 

I'm a Canadian and I've only applied to Canadian schools this time around (haven't written the GREs yet!). 

I'm hoping to find some other Canadians here as we seem to have to wait it out longer than the Americans. 

So, any other Canucks here? 

I've applied to Dalhousie and McGill.. As well as applying to Minot state university's post-bacc program. Getting very anxious even though I know acceptances aren't decided for a while!

Thanks for starting this thread! There was an old one, but no one seems to be on it anymore.

I've applied to UT, UWO, U of A, and McGill.  I've also applied to a number of American schools as I'm currently in a post-bac program in the states.

SO far, UT, UWO and U of A have all said April 1st is the date.  Does anyone know about McGill?

Nice to see you all here! Glad I have people to wait it out with! 

I didn't notice the old Canadian one until yesterday or the day before. Oh well, at least we got the conversation going again. 

Yeah, at least we know the date for Toronto and Western. For McGill (along with UBC) it's just sometime in March. Which is absolutely crazy-making! I really don't think I have a shot at McGill. But I'm really gunning for UBC so I'm going a little nuts over here. 

Natasha21297 -- why did you pick those schools? Less prerequisites? 

Hey everyone!

I've applied to McGill, Western, and Toronto, although McGill seems like a long shot for me as well. I have a subGPA of 3.83 and I'm a research assistant and lots of shadowing/volunteer hours. What are everyone else's stats like? I'm a bit nervous what I have isn't enough.

The deadlines can't come soon enough!

Hey!

I applied to McGill too!  I'm from Quebec but I've lived in North Carolina for half my life so McGill is only Canadian program I applied to.  Competition sounds really fierce so I'm keeping my expectations very low!!!

Best of luck to all of you :)

laninabrujita- yes I'm currently finishing up my four year degree at Brandon university, where no linguistic courses are offered :( Due to the prerequisites I was very limited in which schools I could apply to and am taking two correspondence courses in order to get the linguistics needed to apply to McGill.

My subGPA is also 3.83 (ORPAS), I've got about a year of volunteering with seniors + another year with children, and graduated/work in an unrelated field.

According to McGill's website, we'll hear back from them in mid-March.  I'm not holding out a lot of hope for McGill though - my Undergraduate GPA is a little above 3.5.

One more month of waiting!

Your application sounds FIERCE. I'm sure you can get into the Ontario schools! 

Oh, actually, I wanted to ask all you who applied through ORPAS something: 

I did two undergrad degrees. So for the "last 20 courses" subGPA, they would get 16 courses from my 2nd degree, and 4 from my first degree. The last semester (the winter semester) of my first degree I took four courses. So that should have been good. Except instead of just using those 4 courses, they averaged out my whole year (fall and winter) and that GPA average was used for my last four courses. Adding in that fall semester made my GPA .08 lower (I'm REALLY REALLY angry about this!). I knew they didn't split semesters, but I didn't realize they also didn't split years also?! 

Did anyone else have this problem? 

Oh, actually, I wanted to ask all you who applied through ORPAS something: 

I did two undergrad degrees. So for the "last 20 courses" subGPA, they would get 16 courses from my 2nd degree, and 4 from my first degree. The last semester (the winter semester) of my first degree I took four courses. So that should have been good. Except instead of just using those 4 courses, they averaged out my whole year (fall and winter) and that GPA average was used for my last four courses. Adding in that fall semester made my GPA .08 lower (I'm REALLY REALLY angry about this!). I knew they didn't split semesters, but I didn't realize they also didn't split years also?! 

Did anyone else have this problem?

I had a similar grouping of grades - it was to my advantage though, it boosted my sgpa by 0.03.

It must have been an unpleasant surprise, that's almost an entire gpa point!

Your application sounds FIERCE. I'm sure you can get into the Ontario schools! 

I hope so, I've been very alarmed by one posting in the gradcafe results page where someone got waitlisted with a 3.85 at UWO! 

Hey everyone!

I applied to McGill, UWO and U of T. However, after reading some of the GPA stats here I'm pretty scared for myself (lol). My subGPA is only 3.72 !! My cGPA is about 3.65 which, again, is not great. Also, I never got an email from U of T saying they received my application and when the decisions will be made. Should I worry? I got an email from Western though.

Good luck everyone!!!

Hey everyone!

I applied to McGill, UWO and U of T. However, after reading some of the GPA stats here I'm pretty scared for myself (lol). My subGPA is only 3.72 !! My cGPA is about 3.65 which, again, is not great. Also, I never got an email from U of T saying they received my application and when the decisions will be made. Should I worry? I got an email from Western though.

Good luck everyone!!!

I never got an email from U of T either! As long as you got the confirmation letter from ORPAS I think you're fine. :) 

My CGPA isn't great... so I'm really banking on UBC, because they ask for your CV. And I think my CV really helped me paint a better picture for myself. 

Edited by laninabrujita

I have only applied to U of A. All my eggs are in one basket. Does anyone know what the average GPA for acceptances has been in past years? I'm sitting at a 3.77 with around 2.5 years of SLP related employment/volunteering, but I'm worried about my GPA not being high enough.

When my friend applied to U of A a couple years ago, she got rejected and they gave her the stats for what the admission averages had been. They said 3.73 for the last two years and 3.8 for the prereqs. 

This is really useful information.  Thanks!

Do you really think

Hi, 

When my friend applied to U of A a couple years ago, she got rejected and they gave her the stats for what the admission averages had been. They said 3.73 for the last two years and 3.8 for the prereqs. 

So I have faith in you! 

Hope that helps! 

And in other news... I just found out someone already got accepted to UBC on February 19th. So I'm pretty bummed. 

Do you really think they look at Prereqs GPA separately? What about other schools like McGill or UWO?

Do you really think

Do you really think they look at Prereqs GPA separately? What about other schools like McGill or UWO?

From the U of A website:

3. What kind of grades are you looking for in the prerequisite courses?

We do not have a specific cut-off for the prerequisite courses. We calculate the Grade Point Average (GPA) for the prerequisites based on the 4 point scale used by the University of Alberta. A GPA at or above 3.5 is recommended for a competitive application. This equates approximately to a percentage score of 80% and a letter grade between B+ and A-. The scale differs somewhat between programs. However, this is not the only criterion for acceptance to the program. For more information see "Admission Process".

Every school is different, but they all list what they'll look at on their websites. 

Do you really think

I went to an information session for U of T's program and they said they quickly look at it

Do you really think

In general I've been told that they look at the GPA of pre-req courses separately because they feel these are good determiners of your success in the SLP program.  

I have only applied to U of A. All my eggs are in one basket. Does anyone know what the average GPA for acceptances has been in past years? I'm sitting at a 3.77 with around 2.5 years of SLP related employment/volunteering, but I'm worried about my GPA not being high enough.

I think you have a really good chance! I know someone who finished the program 1 year ago who had around a 3.8 and same sort of experience as you. I also know someone who is currently in their second year of the program at UofA that had a 3.5 I think, so its hard to say what they are looking at and perhaps GRE scores and experience balance out GPA.

In general I've been told that they look at the GPA of pre-req courses separately because they feel these are good determiners of your success in the SLP program.  

I went to an information session for U of T's program and they said they quickly look at it

From the U of A website:

3. What kind of grades are you looking for in the prerequisite courses?

We do not have a specific cut-off for the prerequisite courses. We calculate the Grade Point Average (GPA) for the prerequisites based on the 4 point scale used by the University of Alberta. A GPA at or above 3.5 is recommended for a competitive application. This equates approximately to a percentage score of 80% and a letter grade between B+ and A-. The scale differs somewhat between programs. However, this is not the only criterion for acceptance to the program. For more information see "Admission Process".

Every school is different, but they all list what they'll look at on their websites. 

Thank you guys for your responses :)

Best of luck to all of you! I hope everyone's hard work pays off  :)

I've heard back from one of the schools and it happens to be my first choice so the wait is over for me but I thought I'd share my stats to give you an idea of what's considered to be "competitive enough" or acceptable.

- subGPA: 3.72 (but A's and A+'s in the prerequisites)

- cGPA: only 3.2 (so those of you who are worried that their cGPA might ruin their chances, you have hope!)

- 1.5 years of volunteer experience (hospitals, schools, private clinics)

- 1.5 years of research experience in SLP with publications (research experience is not expected; I think it just shows your genuine interest in the field)

- strong recommendation letters from 3 SLPs in addition to 2 academic referees

Good luck everyone! April 1 is just around the corner  :)

Edited by SLP201315

Best of luck to all of you! I hope everyone's hard work pays off  :)

I've heard back from one of the schools and it happens to be my first choice so the wait is over for me but I thought I'd share my stats to give you an idea of what's considered to be "competitive enough" or acceptable.

- subGPA: 3.72 (but A's and A+'s in the prerequisites)

- cGPA: only 3.2 (so those of you who are worried that their cGPA might ruin their chances, you have hope!)

- 1.5 years of volunteer experience (hospitals, schools, private clinics)

- 1.5 years of research experience in SLP with publications (research experience is not expected; I think it just shows your genuine interest in the field)

- strong recommendation letters from 3 SLPs in addition to 2 academic referees

Good luck everyone! April 1 is just around the corner  :)

If you don't mind, which school did you hear back from?

Also, congratulations!!!!

Edited by SLP Hopeful88