Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

Hi there, 

Just wondering if anyone else on here applied to Dalhousie's SLP program and if you know anything about acceptance dates. Their FAQs say anytime in March or April, pretty vague. Has anyone heard when they offered places in past years or anything about when to expect offers to start going out this year?

Hi there, 

Just wondering if anyone else on here applied to Dalhousie's SLP program and if you know anything about acceptance dates. Their FAQs say anytime in March or April, pretty vague. Has anyone heard when they offered places in past years or anything about when to expect offers to start going out this year?

Here's the search results from previous years:

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=dalhousie+speech+pathology

Not too many people have put up their results, but it looks like you'll get a reply somewhere between March 30- April 6th!

UWO Audiology applicant here! 

Does anyone know if the admission decisions for UWO AUD/SLP are based primarily on GPA? Also, what kind of funding, if any, is out there for professional masters? 

UWO Audiology applicant here! 

Does anyone know if the admission decisions for UWO AUD/SLP are based primarily on GPA? Also, what kind of funding, if any, is out there for professional masters? 

GPA is certainly not the only thing their admissions decision are based on, but it plays a large part. If two applicants have all other things reasonably equal, GPA will be the determining factor. When I spoke to an admissions officer during a grad school fair in the fall (for SLP at UWO), she said that they have accepted people with just the minimum 15 hours of shadowing, and others with lots. I would assume that in the case of having the minimum 15 hours, your GPA would boost your application.

As for funding, there isn't too much for professional masters unfortunately, compared to research-based. UWO has some in-house scholarships for those accepted. The awards from 2011-2012 are listed on page 19 of this pdf:

http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/csd/files/downloads/pdf/current/Student%20Handbook%202011-12.pdf

As well, there is OGS. Unfortunately, the application deadline for it was January 31st, but you are eligible to try for it in Year 2 of the program if you are accepted.

GPA is certainly not the only thing their admissions decision are based on, but it plays a large part. If two applicants have all other things reasonably equal, GPA will be the determining factor. When I spoke to an admissions officer during a grad school fair in the fall (for SLP at UWO), she said that they have accepted people with just the minimum 15 hours of shadowing, and others with lots. I would assume that in the case of having the minimum 15 hours, your GPA would boost your application.

As for funding, there isn't too much for professional masters unfortunately, compared to research-based. UWO has some in-house scholarships for those accepted. The awards from 2011-2012 are listed on page 19 of this pdf:

http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/csd/files/downloads/pdf/current/Student%20Handbook%202011-12.pdf

As well, there is OGS. Unfortunately, the application deadline for it was January 31st, but you are eligible to try for it in Year 2 of the program if you are accepted.

Thats great to know since I have a 3.85 but only 25 audiology hours.

Ugh I really regret not applying to the OGS. Those in-house scholarships are so few and worth nothing.  

Thats great to know since I have a 3.85 but only 25 audiology hours.

Ugh I really regret not applying to the OGS. Those in-house scholarships are so few and worth nothing.  

I think you will be fine. A girl in my program got into SLP at U of T with only the minimum number of volunteer hours. Then again, I'm pretty sure her GPA was off the charts.

The fact that we were only allotted 150 characters to describe each volunteer experience doesn't suggest to me it's that heavily weighted. 

Hi there, 

Hi, 

I received a letter in the mail yesterday saying the faculty of SLP from Dal had accepted and forwarded my application to the Graduate Program's department. It looks like they were giving me a "hint" that I would get an acceptance letter soon. Just wanted to let you know! 

Hi, 

I received a letter in the mail yesterday saying the faculty of SLP from Dal had accepted and forwarded my application to the Graduate Program's department. It looks like they were giving me a "hint" that I would get an acceptance letter soon. Just wanted to let you know! 

I got that letter last night as well! Congrats! Do you know anyone who has received it before or how long it took to hear back form the Grad Faculty?

Haven't heard back from McGill after sending them that email about proof of enrollment for my last prerequisite. I am thinking I should call today just to confirm that she got it - do you guys think so too? I hate the idea of calling and bothering anyone but there is so much at stake....

Haven't heard back from McGill after sending them that email about proof of enrollment for my last prerequisite. I am thinking I should call today just to confirm that she got it - do you guys think so too? I hate the idea of calling and bothering anyone but there is so much at stake....

Call! It's always better to call with McGill.  At this point, you've been accepted.  You're the type of person who would NOT be considered a bother.

Call! It's always better to call with McGill.  At this point, you've been accepted.  You're the type of person who would NOT be considered a bother.

I agree with this! Call! They did contact you after all. Perhaps start off by framing it as "I want to check that you received my proof of enrolment and it's considered a sufficient prerequisite" if you're a little hesitant. 

ETA: Congrats to those accepted at Dal! Fantastic news! 

Edited by Inny

I got that letter last night as well! Congrats! Do you know anyone who has received it before or how long it took to hear back form the Grad Faculty?

Yay! Thanks! Congrats to you as well! This is exciting but I have no idea when they send the official letter. I'm thinking it doesn't matter since they say you can give send back your acceptance to them which sounds pretty official to me! 

I agree with this! Call! They did contact you after all. Perhaps start off by framing it as "I want to check that you received my proof of enrolment and it's considered a sufficient prerequisite" if you're a little hesitant. 

ETA: Congrats to those accepted at Dal! Fantastic news! 

Thanks y'all (haha bringing in my Southern influence here ;) )

I called and she said she hadn't had time to look through the emails yet. Luckily she confirmed that she had received it and that she'll reply in a day or so.  So.... I'm still on the edge of my seat. But at least I know she has it, so that's good :)

I don't remember from the introductions, but is anyone here a Quebec resident and applying for financial aid? I've started looking into it but I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience with this (or the QC government) already.

I'm not a Quebec student, so I can't speak to that, but I've been given the impression Quebec is fairly generous to its students (in comparison to other provinces). 

You kind of bring up an interesting point about calling though. I have this paranoia about bothering schools so much they rescind their offer of admission :P 

I'm not a Quebec student, so I can't speak to that, but I've been given the impression Quebec is fairly generous to its students (in comparison to other provinces). 

You kind of bring up an interesting point about calling though. I have this paranoia about bothering schools so much they rescind their offer of admission :P

Okay, well that's good to know!

And yes - I'm seriously SO paranoid.  Even though rationally, like everyone said here, I know I have a legit reason to call, I always picture professors thinking we're just wasting their time and then shredding my application then and there. It's so silly, but I get so nervous anyway!

I also received a letter from Dalhousie today!!!!

Congrats to all of you guys! Dal does not seem easy to get into (especially for students not from the Atlantic), but you guys have done it! 

I just signed onto my application summary for Dalhousie.. and it says "Decision Made: Accepted- Deposit required".

I am completely paranoid, and scared this is a mistake lol. So until I get a letter I'm not completely counting on it.. but it looks like I'm accepted too!

Edited by Natasha21297

Congrats to everyone who got in!

I applied to UofT, Western & McGill. I am SOOO nervous.

Does anyone know if ALL your pre-req courses have to be a B+ or above. I'm slightly concerned about one pre-req that is just under a B+, other than that my sGPA, references and volunteer experience is good. Its making so anxious because it's just one course but I don't know :( 

Also, does McGill look at your cumulative GPA or sub GPA?

I just signed onto my application summary for Dalhousie.. and it says "Decision Made: Accepted- Deposit required".

I am completely paranoid, and scared this is a mistake lol. So until I get a letter I'm not completely counting on it.. but it looks like I'm accepted too!

I also signed on to my application summary for Dalhousie and it says the same thing!!! Congrats!