Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

Best of luck to all of you! I hope everyone's hard work pays off  :)

I've heard back from one of the schools and it happens to be my first choice so the wait is over for me but I thought I'd share my stats to give you an idea of what's considered to be "competitive enough" or acceptable.

- subGPA: 3.72 (but A's and A+'s in the prerequisites)

- cGPA: only 3.2 (so those of you who are worried that their cGPA might ruin their chances, you have hope!)

- 1.5 years of volunteer experience (hospitals, schools, private clinics)

- 1.5 years of research experience in SLP with publications (research experience is not expected; I think it just shows your genuine interest in the field)

- strong recommendation letters from 3 SLPs in addition to 2 academic referees

Good luck everyone! April 1 is just around the corner  :)

Congratulations! Way to get early admission!  Thank you for sharing. It's very appreciated!

Way to go, SLP201315! Sounds like you had a good profile!!! 

For those asking about prereqs - I know of people who have gotten into U of T while still taking prereqs, and were told they needed to complete the prereqs with at least a B+. 

A friend of mine was rejected at U of T and called to ask about what they could have done to improve their application, and one feedback was they should consider bumping up one of their prereq grades from a B to at least a B+.... 

So they matter! Certainly if you got a 50 in phonetics, that probably doesn't look great. 

(having said all that, I know people who have failed prereqs the first time they took them, retook them... and still got in... so one bad mark isn't going to kill your chances...)

Edited by Inny

I've only applied to U of A - this is the only program that does not list volunteering or shadowing as a prerequisite, and this was something I couldn't organize for myself, so it seemed simpler to take the GRE. Do you know of anyone who got in to U of A without volunteer/shadowing experience?

Fingers crossed for all of us :)

Do you have any other kind of relevant experience? I seem to remember you submit your CV to U of A. 

I know that U of A looks at students more holistically, so I feel like if you have relevant experience (working in any sort of rehabilitation setting, educational setting, etc.) that will help you. 

My only concern would be that so many of the people you will be competing with will have SLP volunteering experience. 

Thank you :) I sent you a PM.

If possible, could you please let me know too where you got admitted? I didn't realize any of the Canadian programs were already accepting people- I thought it was going to be much later in March and April 1st.

Do you have any other kind of relevant experience? I seem to remember you submit your CV to U of A. 

I know that U of A looks at students more holistically, so I feel like if you have relevant experience (working in any sort of rehabilitation setting, educational setting, etc.) that will help you. 

My only concern would be that so many of the people you will be competing with will have SLP volunteering experience. 

that's along the lines of what i was thinking too - i've worked as a teacher for upwards of five years, so maybe that will help.

thanks

23 days until the ORPAS decisions come out... 

A classmate of mine got her acceptance to Western like, 3 minutes after midnight on the day the acceptances came out. 

Hi all! Still waiting as well. I applied to U of T, Western, and McGill. Not expecting much on the McGill end, less than 10% of applicants get accepted. Hopeful for Western and U of T though. I have a 3.8 sGPA according to ORPAS, about 70 hours shadowing speech paths (two different populations) and various other extracurriculars (club leadership, Victorian Order of Nurses SMART certified). Also published once in a Student Council Research Journal at my home university- not super legit but still counts I suppose. Never realized how impatient I was till I clicked submit on my applications. 

All I can say for U of A is that a former classmate did SLP there and loved it. 

So speaking of Plan D... I got a job interview at a university in the US to be a lab coordinator... which is super exciting. But the interview is next week, and they're asking for reference letters. I don't want to bug my referees again without knowing if I've gotten into grad school or not. 

(The job would be for next school year... so only if I don't get into SLP...). Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and ask them for another letter.

Edited by Inny

So speaking of Plan D... I got a job interview at a university in the US to be a lab coordinator... which is super exciting. But the interview is next week, and they're asking for reference letters. I don't want to bug my referees again without knowing if I've gotten into grad school or not. 

(The job would be for next school year... so only if I don't get into SLP...). Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and ask them for another letter.

If your references have submitted references for job applications in the past, they likely have a more generic typed copy on file for you.  Otherwise, the lab might just want to call them?

sooo I got into Portland State University where I'm doing my post-baccalaureate right now! So relieved, its my first acceptance! But still awaiting the Canadian schools eek!

If your references have submitted references for job applications in the past, they likely have a more generic typed copy on file for you.  Otherwise, the lab might just want to call them?

They have letters on file for me from grad school but that's it. They'll just have to change them a little. When I interview with them, I'll ask them if they can just call. 

And congrats AJV! Your hard work has paid off! :D

Can I ask why you decided on Portland for your post-bacc? 

Edited by Inny

Thanks so much Inny!!!

I chose Portland just because their post-bac program is a non-competitive process, so basically everyone gets in and its easy to start.  Plus it was close-ish to home and they have a great reputation- also cause I liked the city when I came to visit.  It was all kind of random really but the program is better than I expected :)

Hope we hear back from Canadian schools!

Hey everyone!!

I'm so glad I found this thread! I felt like I was the only one waiting on Canadian schools! 

This is my second time applying (wait listed last year) and I am so anxious. I am applying to Uof T, Western and U of A.

I know in the past few years a lot of people have heard back from U of A around now, has anyone heard back from them this year yet?!!? 

Good luck to everyone and congrats to the people who have already been accepted!!! 

Hey everyone!!

I'm so glad I found this thread! I felt like I was the only one waiting on Canadian schools! 

This is my second time applying (wait listed last year) and I am so anxious. I am applying to Uof T, Western and U of A.

I know in the past few years a lot of people have heard back from U of A around now, has anyone heard back from them this year yet?!!? 

Good luck to everyone and congrats to the people who have already been accepted!!! 

Welcome AllThingsSLP!

I emailed Noriko Major at the end of February to ask when we'd hear back and if it was going to be April 1st like the ORPAS schools.  And she said it would be BY April 1st, so I'm guessing we will know soon!