Withdrawals on transcript

girlfromcountyhell

I am having a freakout moment. My undergrad transcript looks great, except for this semester. I don't know what the enrollment processes are at other universities, but at mine, the first 3 weeks of the semester are kind of a free-for-all. Students can add and drop classes with no repercussions online. After those 3 weeks are up, however, paper add/drop slips are required, and every class that is dropped after 3 weeks is displayed as a "W" on the transcript. I forgot about the deadline and ended up having to use the paper slips to drop 3 courses. Now I have 3 shiny, lovely Ws on my transcript...

I've already heard back from every grad school that I applied to. The ones that accepted me aren't going to drop me just because of the Ws, are they? I know this is irrational, but I have heard of schools retracting an admissions offer. I'm just terrified that these Ws will somehow make a difference. Tell me it's not a huge deal. Should I email my potential advisors and explain, or just let it go?

I am still taking a full course load with some pretty advanced classes this semester, but I don't want those stupid Ws to overshadow that.

I am having a freakout moment. My undergrad transcript looks great, except for this semester. I don't know what the enrollment processes are at other universities, but at mine, the first 3 weeks of the semester are kind of a free-for-all. Students can add and drop classes with no repercussions online. After those 3 weeks are up, however, paper add/drop slips are required, and every class that is dropped after 3 weeks is displayed as a "W" on the transcript. I forgot about the deadline and ended up having to use the paper slips to drop 3 courses. Now I have 3 shiny, lovely Ws on my transcript...

I've already heard back from every grad school that I applied to. The ones that accepted me aren't going to drop me just because of the Ws, are they? I know this is irrational, but I have heard of schools retracting an admissions offer. I'm just terrified that these Ws will somehow make a difference. Tell me it's not a huge deal. Should I email my potential advisors and explain, or just let it go?

I am still taking a full course load with some pretty advanced classes this semester, but I don't want those stupid Ws to overshadow that.

Don't worry. They won't drop you because of the W's. If a potential adviser actually asks about this, you can then explain it to him/her, but otherwise IMO there really isn't any need to bring this up to anyone.

NOpe they won't drop you.

I had a W winter quarter and a NP spring quarter for physics courses last year. I still got accepted!!

They don't care--I doubt anyone but the grad coordinator would even see the final transcript.

I have some Ws on my transcript too. The thing that really bugs me is that I was NEVER enrolled in those classes--I only took them to audit, and then I decided I didn't like them and I stopped going. The professor marked me as a W. I don't think it will matter, as the rest of my grades are good.

Really? I just assumed they just weren't counted when your GPA was calculated. I don't have any, but I have friends with 5+ Ws.

Right, Ws are not typically computed into your GPA. If some schools do it, then it is definitely not the norm.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't have any problem with withdraws, though I was anxious because the withdraws (appearing just for bureaucratic reasons, in my university I couldn't drop courses after 1st week even in case of a time conflict) were from sentitive hard-working quantitave courses essentials for my preparation to Grad School.