The "Sequester"

RandiZ

I'm a master's student and have been waiting on a 15k FLAS fellowship that may or may not come through. After talking to an assistant in the department office, the potential for that fellowship coming through makes me ineligible for additional funding rounds... but there's no guarantee that it's coming through. By the time they've heard, the additional funding will be gone and I'd be out both 15k and a fellowship.

GAHHH.

Same here, masters applicant...accepted at both schools I applied to.  One has already said only TA positions will be available and no tution remission.  The other is still working to find me an RA position with a PI who has any funding.  

With applications up and funding down...either fewer students and keep the funding level, or same number of students with less funding.  I just can't go into debt over a masters....thinking about doing some internships and applicable seasonal jobs for a year.  I really want the masters educational experience so I'm determined to reapply next year if necessary.  But if things continue to get worse I may push myself out into the big job world!

Same here, masters applicant...accepted at both schools I applied to.  One has already said only TA positions will be available and no tution remission.  The other is still working to find me an RA position with a PI who has any funding.  

With applications up and funding down...either fewer students and keep the funding level, or same number of students with less funding.  I just can't go into debt over a masters....thinking about doing some internships and applicable seasonal jobs for a year.  I really want the masters educational experience so I'm determined to reapply next year if necessary.  But if things continue to get worse I may push myself out into the big job world!

I hear what you're saying, but do you really think things will be any better in the near future/next year?  Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I think the sequester will have severe long term effects.  Honestly, I would think long and hard before passing up grad school this year (gaining admission will only become more difficult later, IMO).  Best of luck w/ a tough decision.

My friends at the University of Utah have already been affected by this. Several have been told their research program won't be around next year, and many of them have had to start looking elsewhere. This isn't just a short-term problem; a lot of these research programs are going to be shuttered and not restarted. This is ruining careers and setting back research years.

I hear what you're saying, but do you really think things will be any better in the near future/next year?  Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I think the sequester will have severe long term effects.  Honestly, I would think long and hard before passing up grad school this year (gaining admission will only become more difficult later, IMO).  Best of luck w/ a tough decision.

My salary in the field with a masters cannot possibly pay the student loans for what it would cost me to pay for these opportunities.  If they can't fund me then I will go out and find a job or internship.  I have a couple of years to wing it, no debt from undergrad, money in the bank.  

I also think the sequester is going to be a multi-year deal breaker for many grad students, especially MS applicants.  There is going to be less funding available and I think the sciences will want PhD apps since those students are sticking around for 5-7 years worth of slave labor in the labs.  I believe the perception for an MS student is that they are only around for a few years, about the time they get to know the work, they're going to move on.  

I'm not sure what the right answer is.  For me, I refuse to go into debt in the current economy.  Too many of my friends are slaves to their jobs due to undergrad debt.  I think I would rather be in a lower paying, lower stress job with no debt.  My end goal has never been academia though.

My friends at the University of Utah have already been affected by this. Several have been told their research program won't be around next year, and many of them have had to start looking elsewhere. This isn't just a short-term problem; a lot of these research programs are going to be shuttered and not restarted. This is ruining careers and setting back research years.

Uggh, I hate hearing stories like this.  That's the worst!

My salary in the field with a masters cannot possibly pay the student loans for what it would cost me to pay for these opportunities.  If they can't fund me then I will go out and find a job or internship.  I have a couple of years to wing it, no debt from undergrad, money in the bank.  

I also think the sequester is going to be a multi-year deal breaker for many grad students, especially MS applicants.  There is going to be less funding available and I think the sciences will want PhD apps since those students are sticking around for 5-7 years worth of slave labor in the labs.  I believe the perception for an MS student is that they are only around for a few years, about the time they get to know the work, they're going to move on.  

I'm not sure what the right answer is.  For me, I refuse to go into debt in the current economy.  Too many of my friends are slaves to their jobs due to undergrad debt.  I think I would rather be in a lower paying, lower stress job with no debt.  My end goal has never been academia though.

I see what you're saying.

• 2 months later...

All in all, the situation is looking grim isn't it?  The real question on my mind is when will our government pass a new budget?  I've been disenchanted with the continuing Republican/Democrat conflict for a while, but it hasn't ever seemed to be this self-destructive before.  Maybe I'm being naive or overly pessimistic here, and I'm interested to hear if people think so, but I don't think either party is going to approve a budget authored by the "other side."  So what happens from here?  Eternal sequestration?

For those that are still unclear on what the sequester is and what it may mean for graduate students and researchers, I've compiled a fairly brief summary here.  Take a look if you're interested.