Decision not ready

crazyphd

Why do you think some schools simply do not send out rejections until the absolute last minute? I understand the idea that if someone declines the offer they want someone to fill the spot.....  But is seems to me that they keep more people in limbo than they could offer spots for.....

Do you think this is the case? Why not send out rejects to those who will never make it in?

I'd like to think that I REALLY REALLY would!  But It just seems so unlikely that these 2 (semi) prestigious universities would be interested when I get low rank rejections....  sigh

I think we are on unofficial waiting lists. It's shitty I know, but your school may still want you!

i know that this is the exact position i'm in for a school- not so much "waitlisted" as "second tier of picks, acceptance pending based on number of offer acceptances from first tier picks." i should hear back around 4/1. patience is a virtue, i guess, and i'm just happy that it's not a flat-out rejection!

i know that this is the exact position i'm in for a school- not so much "waitlisted" as "second tier of picks, acceptance pending based on number of offer acceptances from first tier picks." i should hear back around 4/1. patience is a virtue, i guess, and i'm just happy that it's not a flat-out rejection!

I suppose that is true for one of my schools, but at least one (based on results here) has not sent ANY rejections out, only accepts. Why would they do that? 

probably the same reason; i don't think the program has sent out any rejections either, although i could be wrong. or there could've been a first wave of "first tier rejections" aka "oh heeeell naw"s that simply weren't posted on the results page. i know about a dozen applicants in my field (and related fields) applying for both MA and PhD programs who either don't know of or don't use this site. you never know!

This has been a huge frustration of mine. One of the schools that actually rejected me told me after I emailed and called them in very polite ways. I mentioned that the school was a top choice (it wasn't really, but, like I said, I was being polite) and that I had other offers (that was true). Then I received an email saying, "Well, since you have other offers, we should tell you that you were not on the final recommendation list" or some thing of that sort. I didn't receive the official notification until much later on.

tl;dr: I know for a fact that they wait a while even before letting people they've definitely rejected know.

tl;dr: I know for a fact that they wait a while even before letting people they've definitely rejected know.

This is the exact sort of thing I don't understand IF there is no way why not tell a person?  What is the point of stringing people along?

I hate to say this...but I think they wait to tell the rejected applicants because when they know doesn’t affect the school either way. They have to get all the acceptances out early enough to let people make decisions. Unfortunately the rejections can wait, in their opinion. I'm sure this time of year is CRAZY for admissions committee. I bet even the support staff is totally swamped with phone calls and emails.

I think it basically just comes down to the school prioritizing its time. I bet no one is particularly eager to send out the rejections. Most people probably take it fairly well, but I’d assume they still get a ton of confused / angry emails, and another handful of "what can I do better next time" emails. It might just be too insane to get the admitted students situated AND deal with the rejected ones at the same time.

It really sucks for the applicants though. :/

Hello, 

I am currently dealing with this. I found out a school/department I applied to on Dec 1 sent out admissions to students at the end of January and alerted others of wait list. It of course now is March 1 and I have not heard a rejection, but also I had emailed the department to change some contact info for me and the office of admissions said they had not received final admits and then the department person said that responces would probably be sent by email, responses of what? She didn't say. So, I sit here and wait and assume I'm out, but of course have not been told directly. Weird thing is that I have a username and can log into the student page and even have access to the student email and all. Must be some weird fluke where they put my info in and made a username I guess? Just odd. Can not wait long enough for that official letter to come by email or whatever so I finally know for sure the wait is over!

Guest hopefulfool

I'd like to think that I REALLY REALLY would!  But It just seems so unlikely that these 2 (semi) prestigious universities would be interested when I get low rank rejections....  sigh

I've heard of people getting rejected from schools like Maryland and Duke, but that were later accepted at Stanford and Princeton, respectively. 

I've heard of people getting rejected from schools like Maryland and Duke, but that were later accepted at Stanford and Princeton, respectively. 

Yes it certainly does happen - just not so sure it happens so long after the first tier accepts are sent out LOL. Alas 6/8 rejections 1/7 accept to a masters (was going for PhD) and 1/8 in limbo (Irvine sociology). As I understand Irvine won't send out rejections until late march, just wish they would throw me a bone to make my life easier - I hate this waiting thing. 

I do hope that will happen to me! But I know brown has already sent out a few acceptances last week, with no rejection so far. I kept telling myself my rejection will come in any minute, and it just sucks